1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Are you guys hoping Dwight opts out this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by astros123, Nov 1, 2015.

1. chandlerbang21

Let him walk .

2. GottaHaveHeart

I wouldn't! He's slowing down and has not developed the low post we had hoped for working with Milkhair and Hakeem. At this point id rather bank on DMo and go after a C and give money to KD and the Beard.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If Cuban wants to throw more money at a Rockets free agent with questionable knees, let him. Portland is rebuilding. If Dwight opts for money over a chance to win, that speaks volumes. Charlotte is also a long way from contending. Boston has a bright future, but I don't know if Ainge would be so quick to throw max money at Dwight when he's got all those picks and cap space to use as he sees fit. Dwight seems more like a fallback option for that team.

I'm not saying I don't want Dwight here next year. But the Rockets have to be very careful about committing too much money to a guy who can only play 75% of the regular season(at best) and is starting to decline athletically now that he's about to turn 30.

4. astros123

astros123 Member

chicago could give him the max. the heat could give him the max as well. wades contract ends this year

5. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

i love dwight

6. malakas

malakas Member

You asked who would give Dwight the max. If Dwight was willing tp sit on the table and go sign with small market teams who are not contenders and basically go to whoever gives him the most as I said there will be many many teams runing to offer him money. As for Portland that is rebuilding...it has alr a star and stars need to remain happy or problems will be created. portland isnt exactly in the same boat as Orlando Philly etc. Same with Indy.

Ainges path the way he has prepared things points clearly into an opportunistic trade /signing for stars. Notice he doesnt sell his capspace with long deals like portland/philly. And he will have 60 million to play with next year. And has ousourced his picks to brooklyn.

Whether Dwight is "worth" it or not is mute. He will be worth it in the free market. The question is whether the Rockets feel like he gives them the best chance for a chpionship to comkit that much to him.

Dwight has entered underrated territory big time. He is not easilly replacable what he does in defence.

7. astros123

astros123 Member

so miami or chicago are small team markets now? :confused::rolleyes:

8. malakas

malakas Member

No but charlotte indiana and portland are. And those teams dont have many (any) chances to get a big name in free agency. Miami and Chicago are definitely also potentially interested in Dwight. Since the so called deepest frontcourt in the nba (mirotic taj noah and pau) can possibly be demolished next year.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

So if miami throws the max at him, why would he not want to team up with Bosh and probably get wade to sign a MLE type of contract?

10. malakas

malakas Member

If wade can accept that why not. They are win now anyway. But the if in the first sentence is a huge if.also if that happens gotta make miami a contender almost equal to the cavs.

11. astros123

astros123 Member

why wouldnt the heat throw the max at him, they need a center badly and dwight would fit the whole maimi persona bull****.

12. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I don't think Whiteside --> Dwight at his current state makes them anywhere close to the Cavs. They might be as good as the Bulls.

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

What kind of contract are we talking? I'm assuming it's like $30M a year for 4 years? It would be stupid as h*ll to pay him that much for his current production, but what is his production going to be like in 3 years? I want to see these stats that show Dwight is so dominant on defense. I know he's good, but he's not competing for best in the league anymore. As good as he is on defense, that's only half of the game. You don't get $30M a year for playing half the game. Might as well start paying Hibbert $30M a year. Ridiculous!!!

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. And I think it's going to be a difficult decision for Dwight. If he has another injury plagued season, and I think he will. Then I think Dwight will have to decide between staying for one more year with a contender here in Houston, or possibly signing a contract with a non-contending team somewhere else. Either way, I don't see him getting anymore max deals.

If Capela develops rapidly this year, and Dwight has a lot of injury problems. I can see a scenario where the Rockets actually hope Dwight does choose to opt out and go elsewhere. Would Dwight try to remain a Rocket if he knew the Rockets would rather him leave? I don't know.

15. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Trade him, if unable to find trade, let him walk.

16. astros123

astros123 Member

You want to bet 100 dollars to the tip jar that hed get a max contract elsewhere?

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If Capela develops quickly, Dwight's a goner. It would be insane to lock up 20-25 mil a year for 3-4 more seasons with an aging, injury prone center when that money(plus whatever else they get with the cap going up) could be applied elsewhere.

18. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

It's a bit ridiculous. Dwight will probably be 31, and 35/36 by the time that contract is up. He's not worth that deal. The thing is if we offer him a contract would it be a 5 year deal? Either way, Dwight is not TD. I don't think his game will age very well.

He's probably in the top 5 defensively as far as centers go, so I'd pay him 30m for one year, maybe 2 but not much more. He's gonna get it somewhere though.

Last year his OPP FG% was 45.7 -- some centers that had better:
    Gobert: 39
    Bogut:41
    Noel: 44
    Ibaka: 41

Contested Rebound % Dwight 42%
    Brook Lopez: 53%
    Deandre Jordan
    Kanter
    Whiteside
    Drummond
    it's a pretty long list.