1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#AssaultAtSpringValley

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah and that someone got fired.

Let's hope the union and system can't help a cop get away with this. I am tired of cops being able to commit crimes and get protected by their fraternity.

Agreed on canceling class. Charging parents who don't have money is a dumb idea.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I don't know how she was caught off guard considering the officer said multiple times "Are you coming with me or am I going to make you?".

Sure it happens, but how often? Not very much, I believe, unless it was a freak accident or the person is terribly frail. Can you say with reasonable proof that she was in much risk?

And I'm fine if you call me skeptical. I'd rather be skeptical and wait for facts. I don't see where it's biased if one party says no injuries yet another is claiming serious injury.

Physical force sometimes is necessary to enforce cooperation when a law is broken. If police are not allowed to use physical force, even in non-life threatening conditions, then the next time you break a law, don't comply and say "nyah, nyah, you can't touch me" to the officer's face. We'll see how that goes.
    My point is the student forced all the actions taken by the teacher, principal, and officer. She left them with no other option. Nobody has given an effective alternative to solving this problem. Canceling classes because one student is throwing a tantrum is stupid. Sure, you can wait her out until her tantrum is over, but what consequences will she face and how will you enforce that? By asking nicely again?

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Officer Slam fired, school sued, police dept sued, and the same clowns defending the manhandling of a teenage girl for refusing to leave class will be back here for the next one. #editorializingamirite
    #gavethemnochoice #copjustdoinghisjob

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Effectively this action cancelled the class as well, so that would make it a stupid option.

Yes I that is a far better course of action. Just wait it out and get to the root of the problem and get her to calm down. It's certainly odd to me that a student is being disruptive and doesn't want to leave the classroom and was sitting relatively calmly in the seat when that video was shot. I don't see any reason to turn a non-violent situation into a violent situation. The consequences would be the same as any other student that is disruptive in class.

It would be nice if there was more info about what exactly happened leading up to all this and if there were issues with her before or something.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If the girls parent (The one that apparently recently died BTW) had done this . . . people would be calling for the parent's arrest.

Rocket River

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt she envisions being flipped over onto her head while still in her desk.

Anytime you are flipped over like that you are in risk of injury. To say what is a significant risk and what is not - is not for you to decide. Whether it's 1 in 100 or 1 in 10,000 doesn't matter. That's not the point. The point is it was unnecessary.

Skeptical would be resisting ANY conclusion. But you are skeptical only in one direction - skeptical that the student is faking injuries, not skeptical that the officer tried other means to get her to leave. That is why I call you biased.

Physical force is RARELY necessary in these kinds of situations. She behaved badly, but that does not mean the officer should behave badly as well. And that's the problem, you excuse bad behavior as being justified by bad behavior. That is not how the law works.

The cop's boss has stated he did not act appropriately - yet you don't care about that, you defend the cop even when their boss disagrees with you. So clearly you feel you know the law better than he does.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Recent reports are saying . . .
    Her Parent is evidently recently relocated to the Graveyard.
    Dunno how much cash you can get there. . . .

Rocket River

8. Duncan McDonuts

Her cell phone use and the authority figures trying to enforce the no cell phone use did disrupt the class. At the point in the video, it looks like the teacher was resigned to having the students work problem sets on their Chromebooks. Her sitting in the desk at the start of the video doesn't seem like a huge disruption to the classwork, but the teacher felt it was prior to the principal and officer being called in. Again, subjective call that the teacher has the discretion to enforce or not.

Removing her from the class would allow subsequent classes to continue. By waiting her out and displacing the teacher and his next classes, you'll disrupt their education even more. There's no win-win here, more like a lose-lose situation. It then becomes which scenario do you choose and that's where we differ in opinion. I don't think you should cancel classes because one student wants to throw a tantrum.

This student does act like a troubled child. I think I read somewhere that she's a child of the state? Maybe family problems? Not exactly sure, but I agree that we don't know much about her state of mind. Counseling and better parenting would help her in the long run, and I hope she gets it to be a better person.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find it questionable that she is deliberately trying to hit the LEO when he has her by the neck and is pulling her back. It is virtually impossible to deliver a blow with any force when an opponent has someone in that position. It more likely appears that she is trying to grab his arm which is an instinctual reaction to suddenly being grabbed around the neck area.
    I've watched the video frame by frame from both views and it is an impossibility for her to voluntarily exit the desk from the position that the LEO has her. He is actually causing her to be entangled in the desk not her resistance. Him lifting her leg does nothing to extract her from the desk as the desk itself prevents extraction that way. What it does do is make it easier for him to take her and the desk backwards to the ground. Keep in mind that LE are trained to take suspects down with control of the neck and shoulders and more likely he is acting upon training to get her, desk and all, as that puts her in the position of least resistance.

I don't have time right now but if I do in a day or so will post some stills from the video explaining this more clearly.
    It depends upon how that is being interrupted. If someone is not doing so in a violent manner then violence is called for. In this case though I don't see violence on her part. The swings that you refer to don't appear that way and it is a physical impossibility for her to get any force upon that could do any sort of damage. The LEO has control of her once he takes her neck and shoulder.

10. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

No problem with the officer's actions.

The girl was asked multiple times to leave by the teacher, principal, and police officer. At that point she was committing criminal trespass.

Are police officers no longer allowed to physically restrain suspects that are resisting arrest? Because when she jerked her arm away that is EXACTLY what she was doing.

I guess most of the bleeding hearts just want cops to beg a suspect to comply.

"Gee, I'm sorry Officer Garcia, looks like the suspect doesn't want to come to the police station with us. Guess we'll just have to let them go on their way."

Liberals are freaking ruining this society. Thanks to you people there is a whole generation who thinks it's brave or noble to buck up to cops instead of calmly handling the situation like a mature person.

#170 Aceshigh7, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  11. Duncan McDonuts

First reports stated no significant injury. Then the lawyer states she has serious injuries. So who do we believe? That's why I wanted to know if she asked for any medical assistance directly after this happened. I'm pretty sure the media would've mentioned any serious injury that required medical attention, but that hasn't been reported at all.

Listen to the sheriff stated. "What he should not have done is thrown the student. That's what he should not have done." That is the only fault in the officer's actions that they state, and why the department is terminating him and distancing as much from him as they can. So, if instead he had both his hands on her and pinned her to the ground as soon as she was free from the desk, in their words he has control of her and would not be terminated. They never stated that force was unnecessary.

Again, please answer my scenario: if I'm disrupting your workplace meeting, is someone allowed to physically remove me?

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Where is she wrapping her leg around the desk? The first screen shot shows a leg coming up as she is being pulled backwards. This is a natural reaction given both human reaction and basic lever principles.

Your own screen shots show the LEO pulling her backwards with the result that her legs come forward entangling her in the desk further they show the LEO blocking the sideways exit out of the desk.

Apparently you do because you are asking for a physical impossibility. You are claiming that somehow someone sitting in a desk could be able to not have their legs come forward and exit while they are being pulled backward by someone standing where the opening of the desk is.

It's right there in the first screenshot.
    The only way that makes sense is if he is throwing her backward with his left hand under her leg assisting the throwing motion. It makes no sense as he can't lift her straight out by her leg with a desk above her lap. It's right there in the second screen shot where her left leg is stuck on the bottom of the desk.

You own screen shots show that.
    It's right there in the screen shots. I am frankly mystified by what you're looking at because from what I see the pics you post don't bear out what you're saying.
    Try going up to someone and putting your arm around their neck and see what their reaction is. The instinctual reaction though is to try to grab the arm. She is appearing to do so but is falling backward at the same time. Further as noted you cannot deliver a blow with any damage on an opponent when they are taking you backwards. That is why you see in MMA fights so many fighters try to take the other person's back and why LE are trained to take suspects backwards with neck and shoulder control. In your first screen shot he is clearly doing that.

This isn't a matter of her resisting and they happen to end up that way but most likely a matter of the LEO using his training.

#172 rocketsjudoka, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

She is 16.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Just to follow up on the what should've been done. If I had been the teacher I would've just ignored her after she refuses to put her phone away and then referred the matter to the school principle to suspend her. I doubt she is going to sit there in her desk after everyone has left nor stay at school. Once she goes home she is suspended and can't return until her suspension is over.

I agree that is on the teacher and school administrator not on the LEO. That doesn't absolve the LEO as his job isn't to arrest students who are disrupting class and in case of an uncooperative but non-violent suspect the best policy is to wait them out. The LE lost patience in a situation that less than an hour, when class ends, will likely resolve itself.

Further this goes to something I've said repeatedly. Too many people just accept that anything less than complete submission to LE, even just being discourteous, is grounds for arrest, violence or worse. That might be true in a police state but is not what we expect here in the US. It is one reason why there is such a divide, distrust and fear of the LE instead of looking at them as a necessary but not an infallible part of society.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, I saw a student removed from the classroom this morning.

Like I said, I was observing classes at a local continuation high school (for kids that got kicked out of regular high schools, mostly for behavior issues). During a special ed English class, a male student was basically refusing to work with the rest of the class. The teacher (who generally well-liked by students, is a 6'7'' 285 lbs former college football player) asked him (nicely) to participate or else he gets sent to meet with the principal.

The student refused to do either. The teacher told him that if he doesn't go, he'd have to get somebody to take him there-- and then contacted a counselor through walkie talkie (all the staff carry one, nature of the continuation school), who came to get the student. The student went with the counselor.

So, I asked the teacher about the SC case and what his school does in this situation. He said that they once had to use taser on a kid when the kid first wouldn't budge and then started taking swings at the school cop. He says sometimes unfortunately things get physical, but they generally avoid this kind of drama.

Going back to the example of the student in the English class earlier, he said that when the student got sent to the principal's office, this means he'd spend the next several periods in a room by himself, away from his friends-- which he does't like (the student, as he exited the classroom, was asking the teacher whether he could come back for the 6th period class which he has with that teacher).

Had the student refused to budge even with the counselor called in, he would just move the class to an available room and keep teaching the class there while the principal/counselor deals with the student. But if this had to happen, the student would likely face a consequences that he likes even less than being away for the rest of the day-- he'd likely get suspended for 2 or 3 days.

The main goal for the teacher was to minimize disruption to the education for the rest of the student and he chooses his tactics accordingly. So, if possible, he's not going to have the whole class spend time watching him or a counselor or a school cop arguing with or wrestling with one student.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You did not use the black to 'regular' people conversion chart

1.5 regular years is like 1 black years
    So
    16 for a black person is about 24 so they are an adult

Rocket River

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What does that make you...about 64.5 years old?

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

There's a story circulating that the girl lost her mom. She was orphaned, don't know how true it is.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

Would you feel that way if it had been your sister or daughter and don't come with that lame thing saying that if if were my kid or sister they would no better this girl was asked to leave the class because she didn't want to do the exercise that the class was doing per the other young girl that was arrested for no reason other than recording what was going on i'm glad that he was Fired it make the good officers look bad when some clown does what he has done.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

She had just received the text from her cousin breaking the news -- that's why she was so upset.