1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you do this trade for Carmelo Anthony?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Oct 27, 2015.

?

Would this be a good trade for the Rockets?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2016.
  1. Yes, Carmelo Anthony is a star and Rockets are in win-now mode. KD is probably a pipe dream anyways.

39 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. No I don't think that would be a good idea. We would gut our bench.

158 vote(s)
    80.2%
  1. hakeemthagreat

Lmao. You guys are disgustingly attached to our players its a little disturbing. Carmelo is an ELITE talent. If you can trade ANYBODY (including DMo) not named Harden, Howard or Lawson for Melo, then the Rockets NEED to pull the trigger. Melo is a superstar regardless if he's popular or not.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

superstar? please, far from that. people need to let go of the illusion he's as good as he was in denver.

3. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

What evidence do you have for this? This is a ridiculous assessment of Melo. Superstars win games...

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

the response to this by the few who think Melo is still some "superstar" player is blaming his "team" for the failures and miserable last few years. Easy scapecoats without holding any accountability to Melo "the superstar".

1 person likes this.
  5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Melo is making $25M per year, just gives you 20 points, one assistant, and two rebounds per game. Rockets will have not bench players on the team if you want to have Melo.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Probably not. I think people are underselling the impact Carmelo Anthony makes and he's probably underrated at this point in his career, but he's not entirely healthy and defensively we'd take a big dive. We'd be unstoppable offensively, but our depth is arguably our greatest asset this season. I think we roll with that.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Meh. Morey can find talent in the mid rounds and 2nd rounds so yeah, i'd do it. Fans fall in love and become too attached to our players. I love Capela as much as the next guy but come on...we act like he's the next Hakeem around here. He'll be a highlight film serviceable big while Melo has been an all star his whole career, carried the Nuggets to successful seasons for many years and and won a championship in college. I also think people are butt hurt he passed up on us before when we chased him.

Honestly, Dwight and Melo would be contenders. Now add Harden and Lawson to that and i think we win a title within 2 years. Just have to buy in to defense. Having Harden, Melo and Lawson to take turns on offense conserves their energy to give more effort on D but any team with Dwight as an anchor is still going to be top 10 defense. Just gotta keep Dwight on the floor.

If you build it(with 3 stars), the vets will come. Also buyouts will come.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'd only take that kind of risk for a PF like Bosh. Defending WC 4's could be troublesome for us.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

What are the details of his 'no trade' clause in his contract?

Let's say he asks to be traded this season. Does that mean he waived that clause in his contract or it still stays in his contract? Meaning, that if he were to be traded to the Rockets and still retains the 'no trade' clause, he can't be traded as a Rocket unless he approves?

10. rullrich

rullrich Member

I voted no only because we'd be sending 5 players which would force rookies to play more minutes but I'm not opposed to it at all...I think it was the RealGM Eastern Conference Preview podcast a few days ago mentioning that Melo was no longer a 1st option on a team and was better suited to that 3rd option role (ie Kevin Love). It would more than solve our PF problem and our rotation would leave an elite playmaker/scorer on the court at all times.

Why not try - I don't know if I could argue we're constructed to beat the Warriors/Cavs the way we're currently constructed unless an injury makes one of them worse for the playoffs. Melo would shift that - and you know he'd be playing with a head full of steam knowing he'd arguably have the best shot at getting a ring he'd ever had in his career.

I'd wait till the deadline and try to pry RoLo and Melo from them on the low low.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's not about being attached at all. people are being realistic about who Melo really is today. Are you more fascinated with the name? Probably. There's nothing about Melo's resume for the past few years that remotely warrants giving that much up for a now injury prone, +30 yr old, who puts up +20 shots a game that doesn't do anything else.

your post makes it seem like you can win a championship as simple as that. sorry but no, it doesn't work that way.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

In what way is Melo a stud? Just cause he jacks up 30 shots and scores 20 pts a night doesn't make him a stud gimme a break.

Everytime I read about someone talking about going "all in" I get the urge to vomit at the sheer shortsightedness of that person. I don't really understand how people can mock Dallas for being old and then talk about going into "Win Now" just because Dwight only has 2-3 years left.

The Rockets aren't Dwight Howard, Dwight Howard isn't the Rockets. Dwight has no problem with that, he will retire in 2-5 years anyway. The Rockets on the other hand have to compete for a championship year after year. Its not a guarantee the Rockets will win in the next 2-3 years if you gut the team, but its a certainty the Rockets will suck in 2-3 years if you gut the team.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

this aint 2k16

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

If the ring was that important to Melo he wouldn't have forced NYC to trade for him just so he can get max $$$, he would have signed in free agency like what Dwight did so the team will have assets to build around him. Then when his contract came up, he would have left NYC and gone to a contender like Houston or Dallas or whoever instead of resigning with NYC who was clearly a lottery bound team.

So no, Melo won't be playing with a head full of steam, likely he will play the same way he's played his entire career.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yup teams fall apart because they go for the WIN NOW and screw themselves when their gambit doesn't pay off. OKC had a nice young core going on but then Presti thought it would be a great idea to go ALL IN and pay Kendrick Perkins an absurd amount of money to help the team win, we all know how that worked out it eventually resulted in OKC letting Harden go.

One thing you may not realize is fans want to go ALL IN every year. If you go ALL IN this year you still want to go ALL IN next and ALL IN the next year etc..Dallas and Celtics for example went ALL IN and won a championship just a couple of years ago. You hear fans excuse Ainge and Cuban for Celts and Dallas sucking nowadays?

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

You're ignoring the terrible situation he's been in in NY. Harden or Curry would be in the same boat over there. The Knicks were actually on a roll when Melo had a healthy Amare the first 2 seasons in which Melo posted his highest PER of 24.8 and 1st in their division. Pretty much only LeBron or Durant could keep the Knicks in the playoff picture in their current state. That said Melo still had a PER of 21.5 last season and 24.4 the previous. He's still an all star. You can't say he only scores. He averages almost as many rebounds as LeBron for his career. He doesn't need the play making with Harden and Lawson. Of course the D must be improved.
    Melo as a stretch 4 next to two great shot creators is the best Melo there can be and a Melo he couldn't ever be other than on Team USA which he always goes HAM on as a stretch 4 or spot up 3 with others creating for him.
    You're also ignoring the ability to go to the Post where Melo has probably been the best post up SF for the entirety of his career. A lineup of D12, DMO, Melo can kill you in the post with both Melo and DMo able to stretch the floor when D12 is down low.

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

You lost me at Carmelo... No I don't want him, ever... Even if they only want the last three guys on our bench for him.... Okay maybe if that was it, but that's all I'd give.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

No, I'd rather have the depth. That would deplete this roster completely

19. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

No, we would go from one of the best benches to worst and Melo is a born loser

20. Swishh

Swishh Member

Ok this is just laughable.

well said