1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you do this trade for Carmelo Anthony?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Oct 27, 2015.

?

Would this be a good trade for the Rockets?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2016.
  1. Yes, Carmelo Anthony is a star and Rockets are in win-now mode. KD is probably a pipe dream anyways.

39 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. No I don't think that would be a good idea. We would gut our bench.

158 vote(s)
    80.2%
  1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Saw this on the nba subreddit.

"If Melo maks it known within the Knicks that he wants to be traded, do you think the Rockets should make a run for him? What do you think it would take?
    KJ, Brewer, Beverley, Capela, Jones, and some picks?

Brewer isn't irreplaceable as a productive bench player, Bev's defense is a tad bit overrated (could be because of injuries last year) , Jones is likely gone next year anyways, and Capela is going to be good, but is a few years away from being really good. Dwight only has a few good/great years left, and Melo is a stud.

Lawson/Harden/Ariza/Melo/Howard would easily be the best starting 5 in the league - at the very least top 2 or 3."

2. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I don't think it would be a good fit.

Brewer, Capela, Beverley, Jones (maybe) are pieces you need for a championship: defense, bench scoring, transition play, versatility.

Most of these guys have fought with the team last season and during the playoffs. Carmelo Anthony would come over fresh off a lot of vacation and meaningless basketball (NY Knicks).

Stay put in this scenario.

3. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Build the best starting 5 in the league by trading away your entire second unit?

Nah, I'm good.

Depth is our strength, and we shouldn't lack for scoring this year.

Let Melo stay his ass where he is.

4. malakas

malakas Member

absolutely. We are a WIN NOW team. And with the addition of Melo the no.1 favourite by far for the title.
    You don't get many chances to win championships and a team can fall apart very fast and its time go by like it has with Portland this year and almost with the Clippers and perhaps OKC.

Also everyone seems to think Durant will sign for 1+1 in OKC to reach the 10 year vet max bracket.

5. Swishh

Swishh Member

At least DMo would still stay put. Thornton/Terry as well as the rookies. Not to mention some other small trades Morey could make.

I don't think any of those traded players would be hard to replace.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Capela is near-untradable for the Rockets with Dwight's health and his rapid development. Wouldn't throw him into that deal.

7. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

They would have to throw in cleanthony early and if we could keep capela I would say yes.

8. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Hell no. Why help Melo out? He had his chance to come here when he was FA. and We suppose to trade the farm for him?

im good.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, you could get him for cheaper than that.

With this no trade clause, there will be very few bidders for Anthony and anywhere he would accept a trade is not going to have very many assets.

The amount of salary we would send is more than enough value for Anthony.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

1. I love our depth. There are only a few players I would consider trading basically all of our depth for and Carmelo isn't one of them.
    2. I don't think this team needs another guy who needs the ball in his hands to be effective and plays questionable defense. We've got a couple of those guys already.

11. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even if the money worked, I wouldn't trade anything or anyone for Melo. I wouldn't want the Rockets to pick him up for the league minimum if he were cut. The guy is a team destroyer.

13. Swishh

Swishh Member

Ok, take out Capela and replace him with Dekker or Harrel - then would you do it?

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Didn't read. Just logged in to say NO!

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Screwed NY because he couldn't wait for FA so he made them trade all their assets to Denver. Then complains about how bare the roster is and I got no help!

Then he has a chance to go anywhere he wants in free agency (or I guess it was down to New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas & Houston), and now these teams (or any team) are supposed to help rescue him out of New York and give up valuable assets?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

31 year old with a not-entirely-healthy knee(s)

If New York was to sell, why? Why would they sell?

Because they're not going anywhere with him? Because, even if it's big, bad New York, they can't get anyone worthwhile to play there with him? Because of his knee or worry he might break down? Worry he might break down and that long ridiculous contract? Saddled with that long contract while not going anywhere?

They can keep him, he can stay. Do not want.

#15 J.R., Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no. just . . . no.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No, unless it's for a bag of peanut plus some left over.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Hello, no way.

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Let Dallas get him, I hope.

20. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Right? You're talking about getting a guy that hasn't shown much initative and giving away guys that are universally liked throughout the team. The guys on our bench would go to war for the starting squad and vice versa. I think it's really, really dumb to trade them for a guy that would destroy that culture.

Also, why the hell is Melo revered so much? He hasn't proven he can do anything since his days with the Nuggets and even then he wasn't on a team that was in serious contention for the championship.

Why do people (especially in NY) truly believe he is the best scorer/player in the league still?