1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should We Tank?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Duncan McDonuts, Oct 25, 2015.

?

Should we tank?

1. Yes

85.8%
  2. No

14.2%
  1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

What say you, Clutchfans? Does everyone here agree to tank now?

This season is a huge loss. We are terrible. We have no business playing a good team. We've lost to the Colts with a flu-ridden non-practicing Hasselback. We've been blown out three times (Chiefs, Falcons, Dolphins). Our offense is terrible, our defense is terrible, our kicker was bad until we dropped Fat Randy. Our lone bright spot is Shane Lechler, pro bowler and HOF punter. Oh yeah, and I guess Hopkins.

We should be trying to maximize our talent pool. Sure, it's never guaranteed a high pick will turn out, but it's still maximizing our chances.

But there's no can't miss pick this year. Well, so what? Maximize our chances.

But we can still make the playoffs since our division is terrible! Does that even matter? As mentioned, our team is garbage. We will get blown out and embarrassed in the playoffs on national TV.

Does tanking breed a loser's mentality? You can think so, but anyone who sees it would rationalize that we're losing with a purpose. Instead, we have a "winner's mentality" by losing all our games anyway. Great for moral victories.

Are there any other arguments against tanking? Our team isn't improving, rather regressing quickly. 2-14 is better than 4-12 and better than 7-9 for our long term success. Let's tank.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If what they did today was not "trying" to tank... why would you even need to suggest it?

They're bad enough to lose on their own... much like the Colts are.

The Jags are the odds-on favorite to win this division.

1 person likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tank, no tank, same ol' ****ty regime.

#3 J.R., Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

We can't do anything with the picks even if we do tank.

But, yes, we might as well.

5. AXG

AXG Member

They don't need to "tank." They lose games on their own lol

1 person likes this.
  6. Duncan McDonuts

Just waiting for Watt and Hopkins to mysteriously go on IR. Other than those two, everyone else either needs more playing time or is expendable and not part of our future.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It doesn't really matter.

Tanking has not been proven to do much of anything for NFL teams... especially not for the Texans.

They actually do get more attention when they lose... so it may just add to the season ticket wait list.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm fully on board with tanking now. When there was still hope that the Texans could make a run to win the awful division they are in I was against it. Now there's no reason not to tank.

9. Major

Major Member

:confused: The Jags have already lost to both the Texans and Colts, not to mention losing to the Bucs. Until someone in the division shows any ability to beat the Colts, they still are the far-and-away favorite to keep wining it.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, they are the far and away favorite to win the division at 8-8

11. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nope, you're wrong.

As of today, they're the cream of the crop of the AFC South.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Should we tank? With this team, I'm not sure you have much of a choice but lose. No effort required with the way they're playing.

14. Duncan McDonuts

It at least allows us to have our best picks of the litter. I don't know what the Texans draft board looks like, but I'm sure there have been times where we have wanted to have picked a few spots earlier.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It doesn't matter.

They've had years with the #1 pick.... the've had years with mid round picks... they've had years with picks in the 20's.

They still are where they are, regardless of where they pick... and that comes when you pick either the wrong or right players.

If they can contributions from a 2nd-4th round pick, regardless of where they draft.... it will be progress.

16. Duncan McDonuts

So you believe draft position doesn't matter. How do you suggest we improve?

17. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

Wait wait ,

Right when i saw houston texans have sign Bryan Hoyer, that was the equivalency of saying texans have sign "Time to tank" this year....

Im i right or am i right??? lol

[​IMG]

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

By picking better players... THROUGHOUT the draft.

It certainly matters... unless you whiff on every 2nd-4th round pick year after year.

In the end, its why good teams remain good... and bad teams remain bad, regardless of them picking in the top 10 year after year.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm the only one that voted no, I guess.

Mainly because the division is still within reach. Once it's not, you gotta go for the pick.

I don't believe in tanking purposefully, although it looks like we're throwing this game today.

20. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

LOL. I don't know if they can manage that. This team looks so motivated.