1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Barnes on Doc Rivers: 'He couldn't wait to get rid of me'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by A_3PO, Oct 24, 2015.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A real lovefest in Clipperland last season. I don't think it will be any different this year.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/clipp...dnt-wait-to-get-rid-of-me-20151024-story.html

Matt Barnes on Doc Rivers: 'He couldn't wait to get rid of me'

Melissa Rohlin

Former Clipper Matt Barnes said he and Coach Doc Rivers had a rocky relationship, and that Rivers didn't want him on the team.

“Doc never wanted me,” Barnes told NBA.com. “He couldn’t wait to get rid of me. Doc and I never saw eye to eye. He tried to get me out of there the second he got there, so it wasn’t too surprising to me what happened when things went south.”

After the Clippers blew a 3-1 series lead against the Houston Rockets in the second round of the playoffs last season, becoming just the ninth team in NBA history to lose after having that type of advantage, the Clippers made some roster adjustments.

They traded Barnes and Spencer Hawes to the Charlotte Hornets in June in exchange for Lance Stephenson. The Memphis Grizzlies then acquired Barnes from the Hornets in exchange for Luke Ridnour in late June.

“I was the first trade of the summer,” Barnes told the website. “Like I said, he couldn’t wait.”

Barnes, 35, had a successful 2014-15 season with the Clippers, averaging 10.1 points, four rebounds, 1.5 assists and a career-high 29.9 minutes a game and shooting 44.4% from the field. He also shot 36.2% from beyond the three-point line.

Earlier this month, Clippers point guard Chris Paul said of Barnes: "There's no question we're going to miss Matt. Matt brought a lot to our team -- leadership, toughness. Matt was just one of a kind."

Barnes said he has no doubt that his former teammates will feel his absence in a major way.

"There's a lot of things that didn't show up in the box score or in the stat sheet that I did, on the court and off the court and in the locker room, that I know they don't have anymore," Barnes said. "They know what type of guy I am."

The Clippers host the Grizzlies on Nov. 9. Barnes said he's already looking forward to that game, though not so he can go against his former teammates.

"I can't wait to play against Doc Rivers," Barnes said.

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

stupid media.

barnes is still one of the very few players in the current nba that i don't like though.

4. i3artow i3aller

Beat it, Barnes!
    [​IMG]

5. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Why is this scrub talked about so much

6. malakas

malakas Member

LMAO

Btw! As much as I really dislike Matt Barnes he's the third player who have said similar things about Doc that I know of. Crawford who still remains and really doesn't like Doc , Dudley and now this. Doesn't seem only like media twisting words here.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Nobody likes Barnes so what else is new. He seems like a very unlikeable guy, even in that movie Think like a man he came across as himself.

8. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Remember when he was talking about the Rockets not being ready yet RIGHT BEFORE game 6? LOL

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

"the rockets were what we were last year"

turned out they were still what they were last year too, not out of the second round

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Probably part of the reason why Deandre J tried to leave when he could. Doc probably wears on people after a while (after CP3 wears you down first)

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let me get this straight, Matt.

Your coach played you career high minutes at the prime age of 34 and he couldn't wait to get rid of you?

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He would be their best defensive SF if they had kept him.

They're gonna struggle with defense at that position

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And if he did want to get rid of him who cares? That's part of the game.

14. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Yeah exactly that! Having Barnes look like a fool after losing was one of the most gratifying things about winning that series. Strange how that quote never got the publicity it deserves/deserved. Conversely, Lawson says one thing about Curry and the internet blows up.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Barnes doesn't really seem unlikable. Sure he said a few words directed @ Harden's mom but he didn't know it was Harden's mom but as some annoying heckler. Dude drives his kids and their friends around and does the best he can to take care of them while in his custody. Doesn't seem to be a drug user, smoker or anything like that but dedicated to his craft as a professional basketball player with alot of hustle. I'd be friends with him.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Finally, Barnes and I agree on something!!! We both hate the media.

17. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm not particularly fond of Barnes, but the 30 for 30 on him was very eye-opening on his upbringing. I don't like him, but after watching it, I do respect him .

18. OpenLayup-Why3?

If it was up to me, I'd ban Barnes from NBA for life. He's not a player, he's a dirty c*m without a talent, who tries to injure real basketball players.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Im already sick of the Clippers

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

shut up man