1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets: What's gone right and wrong this preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. bmd

bmd Member

I agree with all of that.

It's just really hard to tell with preseason though.

One thing that has me a little concerned is that there doesn't seem to be the same focus on defense like there was last year. Even in the preseason last year, the team seemed to be focused on defense.

Not so this year. The defense hasn't been great. And that worries me.

They cannot revert from being a good defensive team with an average offense to a good offensive team with average defense like they were when Parsons was on the team. They have to continue to be a good defensive team while also becoming a good offensive team once again with their new talent they brought in.

They have to be good at both if the want to win a title. Good offense and average defense was what the Rockets were when they lost to the Blazers in the first round. They have to be good defensively like last year.

1 person likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Everyone down on Dekker when they compare him to Chandler Parsons remember that Chandler played ball overseas during the lockout and he was awful. Chandler didn't just start out ready to go. If there wasn't a lockout Parsons probably would have been playing D-league too. Stop trying to make this poor boy busty.

4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

so many cool points for "Scrooge McDucking"

1 person likes this.
  5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Maybe I should be more concerned about that also, but I've just overlooked team play more because of the terrible lineups we've been fielding. That may be a mistake on my part. Dwight and D-Mo were big parts of the defensive success, but that shouldn't excuse the rest. I'm hoping that changes quickly once games matter.

Dekker and Parsons are two different players in style and strengths. My only reference to Parsons is that I thought Dekker might not go to the D-League, as Parsons didn't (when D-Mo, Morris, Jones and others were sent there). I don't think that's the case now. I don't think Dekker is a bust... just not as ready as I thought.

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

What a great summary of where we're at now. I agree on every point.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Pretty much the same way I feel. I value your opinion more than 99% of people here so glad you are confirming some of my thoughts. Now that you've said it though, I am a even more worried about how TJ & Howard will do and respond to injuries.

Since you are closer to the organisation, I have 3 additional questions:
    - does it seem like Thorton will get minutes? Have they been high on him during practice?
    - is it likely Harrell will get some minutes when Dwight & D-Mo are out?
    - Joshua Smith for that 15th spot?

Also, are you concerned at all about lack of play calling, especially with Beverley running the show?

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Also agree with everything, but it's really hard to tell who we are right now.

I feel like I know who this team SHOULD be. Harden and Lawson should be unstoppable on offense. Ariza and Dwight should be enough to give us a top 10 defense. The bench unit should be able to run like crazy and play the passing lanes.

But we haven't really seen any of this yet. Just no rhythm to this preseason.

Here's all I really know so far.....

1) Harden and Lawson will be dynamic together

2) Harrell will get time just for his energy

3) Thornton is your backup SG. KJ isn't ready.

4) We're going to see small ball early and often.

5) Capela is already an elite rebounder

9. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Eye test buddy. Dekker is not an NBA player, probably Morey's worst pick ever. Rockets scout team screwed up big time on this.

The guy has an ugly shot (almost like Jamaal Wilkes), can't drive by anyone. Guy has been getting a ton of open looks and none of those shots are even close to going in. I haven't seen a basketball move by Dekker that makes me think that he'll ever play in the NBA.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

because 7 preseason games tell you this :rolleyes:

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Great article.

I am trying to not get over-enthusiastic about Capela. Clutch, you are helping here. I look forward to seeing what he can do in regular season. He has been owning the boards. He will likely be the most improved Rocket.

I had hoped McDaniels would be a little better at shooting so far and he still needs to get kinks worked out of his man-to-man defense. Disappointing preseason so far, but still think he challenges for PT sometime later this season...maybe next season now.

Dekkar is kind of what I expected. Not ready for NBA. I suspect Rockets try to get him to add strength and become a PF.

Harrell...he's been surprising. Long term, I'm not sure I see him being a starter for the Rockets, but he looks to be a rotation playr if not now very soon,

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Time will tell on Sam Dekker. It's way, way, waaaaaaaay too early to make these kinds of judgments. We've had players who start off slow-to-suck who wound up being pretty good.

And, "worst pick ever"? Um.....Royce White, Joey Dorsey....

You'd think Dekker owes you money or something.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Defense has been pretty effective despite bad lineups, ugly play when either Capela or Howard are in. If Rockets can find some health and McHale shortens rotation for regular season, Rockets defense should be fine.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah once Dekker calms the F down and makes his 3s at a higher clip, he could improve a lot. I'm not ready to dismiss him yet. Give him the year at RGV.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We've needed a shooter badly so I've always been on board with the Thornton signing. But I'm not so low on McDaniels.

In the preseason they have McDaniels go out there and just play. He's out there trying to find himself and get better which is exactly what you're supposed to do as a young player. Find yourself and expand your boundaries.

Thornton goes out there to polish his game, begin to get comfortable finding the windows in this scheme, etc... he's not out there growing as a player, he's a veteran that understands his role.

Once/if you give McDaniels a defined role (something young players on good teams need) it's very possible he might begin to excel. He wont be playing at his peak, you're asking him to ignore specific parts of his emerging skillset and focus on what he can do best.

I'm not sure if we're the kind of team that uses young players that way, but I'm confident if he were in the right situation, a team like the Spurs would find a way to deploy him in a dangerous way, even though he's still raw.

You can mitigate deficiencies by scaling back the job duties, but in this freewheeling offense I'm not sure he'll get the chance unless he shows the will to become a high energy defender. You also don't see a lot of young players commit to playing roles very often anymore, but at the same time good young players are usually on bad teams that play them heavy minutes.

1 person likes this.
  16. finsraider

finsraider Member

Not worried about it. Before the preseason even started, Morey said that Harrell was closer to contributing than Dekker. Some of that could be situation, but some of it is also just who they are as players right now.

Harrell already has an NBA body, length, and a defined role on offense. We aren't asking him to run around on the perimeter on offense/defense or shoot the ball. All he needs to do is hustle and dunk everything.

By contrast, Dekker is a wing. Somebody needs to research when the last time a rookie wing made significant contributions to a playoff team. It just doesn't happen. Give him time to marinate down in the D-League and I wouldn't be surprised if he's contributing on the Rockets in a small way by the end of the season.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What's gone right and wrong this preseason?

Terrence Jones!

18. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I'd like to chime in here.

1.) Do we really think Howard playing preseason minutes is crucial to team chemistry? We have a marathon of a regular seasons and practices that a couple of veterans would benefit just as much from. We don't want to risk an unnecessary injury and Howard isn't going to rapidly decline because he isn't playing in preseason ball. (Heck I would be okay if he had restrictions to some of the games he plays in the regular season). Howard is probably benefiting more from the rest than he would from games that are almost an every day thing for him now.

2.) Continuing from point 1; Capela has looked incredible compared to last year. The guy is shining with confidence and I could absolutely see him taking over the starting role years down the road. I think it is critical for him to receive as much playing time as possible for his own development - regular season included. We will have a well-balanced machine at the center position hopefully when playoffs come around (where Howard will return to form and be the Howard we know and love)

3.) Ty Lawson is looking excellent so far and I am stoked about the additional playmaking that comes along with Harden and Lawson being on the court together. When either one of those guys holds the ball it opens up sooo many other offensive options for the other guy. (No more double or triple teaming Harden. ESPECIALLY with Howard on the floor)

4.) Beverley - Ouch? Cmon Clutch. We should know that Beverley isn't going to be Mr. 94 feet in preseason. The days we play Golden State, Los Angeles, San Antonio on TNT or the playoffs are the days were going to see a harassment of old-Beverley proportions (and I am okay with that). Beverley's shot looks better too. Thats what you want from you 3&D guy.

I think we all saw that Golden State last year got away with an easy path to being champions. They have the talent of course but they really had great luck in preserving their health and I think with the Rocket's level of talent through the roof now we need to focus on keeping these guys healthy, happy, and fresh for when it is time to take the trophy from the Warriors.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2012 is my best guess.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Agree with everything said, great article!

I am very concerned about Howard. At this point I pretty much have zero faith that he will play over like 50 games.

The Rockets will likely get off to a slow start due to all the injuries in preseason.