1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biased anti-Israel reporting by MSNBC Muslim activist reporter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 16, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fQi8bkviiXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is the United States and this is Fox News. If our president isn't literally on his knees awaiting Bibi's ****, Fox News will be 'outraged'... literally.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aS5zzS_EI3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So let's leave Fox out of it. This guy Ayman Mohyeldin is a propagandist disguised as an MSNBC reporter. Straight out of Pallywood. Fortunately, the studio host corrected him on air.

Let's face it: There is a Palestinian guy trying to murder Israelis, they shoot him, this "reporter" makes it seem like the guy was unarmed and the Israelis murdered him. We see this kind of propaganda all the time now.

Fox News is right about this.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

In the U.S. media, for every 1 disingenuous statement made in favor of Palestinians, 10 are made in favor of Israel.

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Fox News and MSNBC would be the last place I'd go for news in Israel, which begs the question of why Sir Jackie watches those when he has DW which has a much better track record than both in reporting events in Israel...or anywhere else.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Fact:

A Palestinian tried to murder Israelis with a knife.

Fact:

He got shot in self-defense.

Fact:

The Muslim MSNBC reporter tried to create the impression that an unarmed man got murdered by Israelis.

The name of the stations doesn't change any of these facts.

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

As for Mohyeldin, he's a big shot in his niche. As an Egyptian-American and Arabic speaker, he often has gotten access to things others can't.

He became famous when he was reporting from Gaza in one of the Hamas vs Israel conflicts, and often had the role of contradicting Israeli IDF press reports that understated the damage to civilian infrastructure. There's no doubt he has a bias (a bias that usually happens when you live and work with one group at war with another) but he has a long record of being the guy in the English world media reporting from the field in the ME.

8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I won't argue that he got it wrong. I'd guess that he was told that by Palestinians who likely believed it, and it's not always easy to verify. As an arabic speaker, he gets access to both the information and the bias of the population he's embedded with, and you'll find the same problems from American Hebrew speakers who get their sources from the IDF press office.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He was there when it happened and he had access to the same footage as the studio host. He CHOSE to misreport it. If you google this particular reporter, you will find that he has a history of ideologically motivated, biased appearances.

10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I'm quite familiar with him. But you have to understand the fundamental problem of reporting from a war zone. For him to continue getting access to the sources he has, he's going to report from a Palestinian POV. There's a reason he's often been the only western journalist reporting from Gaza.

If you want an embedded journalist in the occupied territories who is equally critical of Israeli and Palestinian leadership, the list is very short:

Amira Hass and everyone hates her because of it and I'm amazed she's still alive. I wouldn't turn on a television expecting access to the whole truth there. It doesn't exist.

11. cml750

cml750 Member

It should not shock anyone whose head is not buried in the sand that reporters show an anti-Israel bias. Most reporters are leftist and are completely caught up in the palestinian anti-Israel bias that is so prevalent in the world that has no basis in the reality of the situation. I have said it before and will say it again. If the palestinians laid down their arms, there would be immediate peace and in short order a two state solution. If Israel laid down their arms the would be driven into the Mediterranean Sea.

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

In this case he did a little more than report the Palestinian POV. I'll defer to you whether he's generally an insightful source, but if he knew his story was a fabrication as Jackie states, then he was way offside here. If he was just misinformed then it's more justifiable.

I am dubious of ATWs source, but possibly you're giving the reporter too much of a pass?

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I posted a clip straight from MSNBC. How is that dubious? :confused:

14. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Sorry Jackie....

It's the topic: You on Islam, Giddy on abortion, mcmark on the Yankees.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Interesting logic - so even if there is 100 % proof and you see it with your own eyes, it's "dubious" because I posted it.

Here's another example, from CNN:

[​IMG]

What actually happened:

Palestinians set fire to Jewish shrine; Israeli soldier stabbed

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/16/us-israel-palestinians-idUSKCN0SA0GY20151016

1 person likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Biased coverage of Israeli-Palestinian 'violence': When terror becomes 'tensions'

If you are seeking an example of bias in the media’s coverage of what journalists are calling the latest round of Israeli-Palestinian “violence,” consider the case of Ahmad Manasra.

In an angry speech on Wednesday night, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, appealed for calm but accused Israeli security forces of killing Palestinian boys “in cold blood,” singling out the 13-year-old Manasra as one of the Palestinian youths Israel had “executed.”

The Palestinian press, and even some American newspapers, dutifully included Abbas’ charge and displayed photos of the bleeding Manasra sprawled out on a Jerusalem street in their coverage of the monthlong wave of stabbings and other violence by Palestinians against Israelis, the worst violence since Israel’s war last year with militant Hamas, which rules Gaza. Seven Israelis have been killed this month in some 28 attacks, many of them in Jerusalem, while Israeli security forces have killed 30 Palestinians suspected of carrying out such attacks or in other violent protests.

There are at least two major problems with Abbas’ charge: First, Ahmad Manasra was not “executed” or even shot by Israelis. He is alive and recovering in an Israeli hospital from wounds he incurred on Oct. 12 while fleeing the scene of an alleged knife attack on a 13-year-old Israeli boy riding a bicycle. Second, the Israeli adolescent Manasra stabbed is in critical condition in an Israeli hospital, fighting for his life.

The Times of Israel, an English-language online newspaper, and several other Israeli papers and TV stations – but not the Arab media – showed photographs of Manasra at Hadassah Ein Karem hospital on Friday that were distributed by Israel’s official Government Press Office. In one of them, Manasra is awake and making a hand gesture that some have interpreted as an Islamist symbol. Israeli police say Manasra was hit by a car after he and his cousin, Hassan Manasra, 15, went on a furious stabbing spree. Hassan Manasra was shot and killed after he charged the police with a knife, police say. The deputy head of the hospital described Ahmad Manasra’s wounds as “moderate to light” and said he would probably be discharged in a few days.

So far, President Abbas’ office has not responded to the evidence of the alive-and-recovering would-be Palestinian “martyr.” On Thursday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office issued a statement responding to Abbas’ speech, accusing him of spreading “lies and incitement,” charges Netanyahu repeated in Hebrew and English at a news conference. Israeli sources said that after their vituperative exchange of words, the Israeli and Palestinian Authority presidents exchanged letters whose contents have not been officially disclosed. One Israeli source said that while Abbas’ letter repeated his accusations against Israel, Netanyahu’s letter assured his counterpart that he was trying to calm things down and keep the knife attacks from escalating into a third intifada, or larger-scale terror attacks similar to those in 1987 and 2000. He also was said to have assured Abbas that Israel was not contemplating any change in the status of the Temple Mount, a site in Jerusalem that is sacred to both Muslims and Jews.

The latest outbreak of what appear to be largely spontaneous, lone-wolf assaults on Israelis by Palestinians – known in Arabic as the “Intafadat el-Sakeen,” or “Uprising of the Knife” – was triggered in part by demands from right-wing Israeli parliamentarians for such a change in the status of the Temple Mount, which Arabs call al Haram al-Sharif and includes the al-Aqsa Mosque.

In a speech last month, Abbas denounced right-wing Knesset members’ demands to visit the Temple Mount, which Netanyahu has now forbidden. Abbas warned against the "filthy feet" of Jews trampling the holy Muslim site and praised "every drop of blood shed ... for the sake of Allah," which prompted a rare reprimand from U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. But Abbas included his inflammatory accusations against Israeli policy in a speech to the U.N. General Assembly address a week later. Little of this important background has been reported extensively by the American press.

While the American media have reported the growing Palestinian fury over continued Israeli settlement building in the West Bank and frustration over the lack of progress in the peace process, American journalists rarely dwell on the incendiary statements and cartoons that appear regularly in the Palestinian press and are quoted often by senior Palestinian Authority officials.

David Pollock of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy’s Fikra Forum wrote recently that senior PA officials have explicitly praised violence against Israeli civilians and have called Israeli settlers “legitimate targets.” In early October, he reports, the Palestinian Cabinet issued a statement that failed to mention Palestinian violence but accused Israel of acting “to kill and assassinate defenseless children and civilians ... summary executions and cold-blooded murder.”

Only when Palestinians stab Israelis is terror called “tensions.”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015...an-violence-when-terror-becomes-tensions.html

17. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

In my short time as a journalist, most of my best work was never published. Either because my editor thought it offended people who were friends with the owner, or it would offend officials, heads of state, or wealthy VIPs that we often needed access to as sources. And occasionally when one would get through, the backlash would be hard because I "said bad things about people from good families" when they were arrested for fraud, for example. Over time I learned to self-censor and kiss the asses I had to. It's bad enough to see ESPN people do it to American athletes, imagine what it's like in the Third World.

In my case I was mostly doing financial reporting, and mostly diamond-industry related stuff in Africa and Israel. I know my colleagues that reported major news events like the Arab Spring or Palestinian-Israel conflict were under even more pressure. I don't think any have an agenda as much as they want to keep their jobs.

The first time I saw Mohyeldin, he was reporting for Al-Jazeera from Gaza and he was frustrating the military censors by refuting their claims on live television. After a point, even Israelis were tuning in to Al-Jazeera because his version was live and uncensored. For him, the stars were probably all aligned for him and he became pretty big in those circles. How he ended up at the peacock, I'm not sure, but his zeal for justice may likely have run afoul of his bosses in Doha when he later reported on other events in the ME.

With all that said, I'm generally cynical of what I see on television unless it's the Deutsche Welle way of doing things, which tends to be very careful about any claim they make (at the expense of breaking edgy stories), or someone who is absolutely fearless and has a publisher that lets them do what they want, like Amira Hass (and even she has been accused by Hamas and the PA and the IDF for being sympathetic to the PFLP). And who knows? Maybe she is.

Israeli media (other than some notable HaAretz people), Arab media, BBC, FOX, Sky, CNN have all been guilty of presenting a less than accurate portrait of reality, and it's often not due to "liberal" or "conservative" spin. Sometimes they just get it wrong -- things get reported from imperfect sources and have to be corrected, and more often, it's fed to them by the IDF handlers or the PA's and none of them are very honest.

1 person likes this.
  18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

ATW: just curious---Why are the majority of your threads/posts dedicated to this topic? By majority, I mean all of them btw. :)

Can you give me the TL;DR version? I read your threads/posts and you are, by far, passionate towards one issue. I'm just wondering, briefly, where it comes from.

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

sorry if I offended, ATW. I agreed with you re this article so I posted rather than let the thread die or devolve into another ATW pile-on. But I guess I failed.

I tend to stay away from this topic because you have very strong opinions on it that I often disagree with -- thus my caution in embracing your post. It's like defending LOFs in the GARM. Me thinks you took my comment too seriously.

And I did just compare you to a LOF. So apologies again. I won't apologize for cheering Ireland over Germany though. So carry on.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

LOL, now that's an insult. Calling anyone a LOF is reprehensible. :)

Do you remember how terrible the board was when (that player) was on the Rockets? Not only is he a terrible player, but he polarized the board to the depths of Tmac-Only-Fans, Yao-Only-Fans, Cuttino-only-Fans,Stevie-Only-Fans and now the awful:

TJoFans vs.DMoOnlyFans, courtesy of that Bobby guy, that Don'tShootThe3 guy and the 'Holic. LOL