1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Lamar Odom in hospital fighting for his life

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ItsMyFault, Oct 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

They said both his close friends passed from overdose, so he knew what he was getting into but things still happen because too much built up :(

2. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

It's just my opinion.

I can agree on both sides. I think the way you TREAT drug addiction is best handled as if they have mental health issues instead of locking them up only to devastate their lives more and put them back on the streets expecting them to turn a new leaf.

However, these are hard core drugs. He knows better. Every single person living in America knows there are severe social and legal consequences and have been taught to not get involved at a very young age. He knows what it can do to him but he chose to do it anyway. I'm one of those people that refuses to believe that mental health forces you to take drugs against your will.

Don't jump on my back about this comparison but it's like if someone who has mental health problems watches a bunch of child p*rn. Is their condition an acceptable excuse from recieving the cultural stigmas that come along with watching child p*rn? Even if it is discovered that there is a part of your brain that urges you to look at it?

I'm really rooting for the guy. I don't want to pull up the news and see that he has passed. I'd love to see the guy clean up his act. All I'm saying is that this sort of scenario is not *tragic* when there are people who suffer terrible fates because that was just their hand in life. I say "bad luck" to refer to the kids that get cancer, the random robbery-murder, the person not breaking any street laws but their lives are cut short by a drunk driver. Those are tragic events; drug abuse isn't a tragedy.

3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

First thing is people call it a tragedy because he was on top of the world at some points in his profession, and to fall like this is big.
    Second reason its a tragedy is because as you mentioned cancer; his mother and grandma were taken by it.
    His child dies from SIDS...
    Which brings us to mental health, those things alone would cause you to have it rough but then his two close friends die as well as mentioned and you really cant imagine what hes feeling.

4. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I have an older sister that grew up in the same household as I did and saw our stepfather and father absolutely destroy their lives with alcohol. My father was a mean/abusive type while drunk and it led to a nasty divorce. My stepdad was involved in a drunk driving accident and became an incomplete quadrapalegic and ultimately passed away due to his inability to slow down on driving. Growing up and witnessing something like alcohol alter someone's life so dramatically led me to not drink but my sister is on that same track.

I'll never understand how she too can watch first hand what alcohol abuse can do and still want to be involved in it.

5. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

You're absolutely right. There is no conceivable way to truly understand what he went through unless you have been through similar events. I never said his life didn't have more than its share of tragedies. It's heartbreaking that anyone would ever have to go through devastation consistently throughout their life.

I still do not believe the consequences of his actions (staying at a brothel and doing an enormous amounts of drugs) is considered a tragedy.

6. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

*slow clap for this take*

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:13891483&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

7. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

The thing is that hoping for the best isn't exclusive. I hope for the best, but for me the best isn't just that he gets better. For me, the best is for him to recover and start making better decisions. Somewhere along the way, he had to have seen what would happen. Don't think that this was a spontaneous thing, because it wasn't. I understand that he was a nice person to people. I saw what Stephen A. Smith said about him, and I believe it. I also know that sometimes people fall on hardship because of reasons outside of their control. Lamar Odom appears to be an intensely emotional person, and I even respect that. I don't want him to recover him along the same track. I think that there's an issue to learn from here and I'm simply addressing it. If he doesn't address the issues in his life, then just hoping and praying won't cut it. Also, in a way, I kind of resent the fact that people weep over celebrities when they fall on hard times and wouldn't bat a second eye at others who are in the same or even worse situations. My point here, is that I want people to acknowledge the problems here. A very long-winded response on my part, and I do hope for him to recover and change his ways, but the issue shouldn't be ignored; and that issue is drug abuse.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Are you assuming that people here who hope for the best for Lamar just wants him to get better and go back to his old ways?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would say if he gets a second shot at life re-inventing himself and becoming a better man would be spot on here.

This is likely theoretical and very tough to accomplish but you gotta have

better goals than getting that unattractive Kardashian chick to marry you
    and getting her back.

And of course the drug abuse Thing.......

10. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

That really hit me. I never liked him because he was a Laker, but this entire thing is inspiring a ton of sympathy from me. I only hope that he can make a full recovery, not only from this tragedy, but from all of the tragedies he's experienced.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/notthefakeSVP">@notthefakeSVP</a> reminds us of Lamar Odom's identity in the sports world. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OneBigThing?src=hash">#OneBigThing</a> <a href="http://t.co/n1AwU2Q5va">http://t.co/n1AwU2Q5va</a></p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/654527905083588608">October 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Finally some good stuff coming from sports journalists on this matter. Those Kardashians needs to leave the spotlight immediately, if not this situation with Lamar Odom then there's no hope for that "family". Harden, get out while you can brother.

13. Victorious

Victorious Member

I like how the anti-kardashian media is acting holier than thou. Like they cared so much about Lamar Odom before this. Probably the same people that were making crackhead jokes or stalking khloe jokes. A lot of fake caring going on, including the people by his side (kobe/kardashians/jesse jackson)

It also seems like people are blaming the Kardashians for Odom's current situation. Are we just going to ignore that Lamar went on $75,000 weekend w**** and drug binge? Did Khole and the family force him to do all that? Did they put the drugs in his mouth with a gun to his head? Yes its very sad whats happened to him but hes got to take some responsibilities for this as well.

14. dragician

dragician Member

don't worry, he's just in for a quick two.

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You missed my point. I basically wrote that people here are have basically written or implied what you have- that they aren't just hoping for the best for him but that he recovers and starts making better decisions. As you said, it isn't exclusive and that was my point.
    All people on the outside can do is hope and pray, the rest is up to Lamar and the people around him.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There was some improvement in Odom's condition last night. But he's still very much fighting for his life</p>&mdash; Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) <a href="https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/654700431101132800">October 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. malakas

malakas Member

Good news. I'm optimistic that he will survive.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Lamar Odom's condition has deteriorated, and doctors are now telling the family the longer he remains in the condition he's in the less likely it is that he will recover.

Sources tell TMZ, Lamar did indeed squeeze Khloe's hand Wednesday night, which gave everyone hope, but Thursday morning doctors are saying it well could have been an involuntary movement.

As of Thursday morning, our sources say Lamar has shown no signs of consciousness or improvement. We're told 4 organs, including his kidneys, continue to fail. Our sources say doctors have been clear ... the fact that Lamar is not getting better significantly reduces his chances of survival.

As we reported, on Wednesday doctors gave Lamar a 50/50 chance of pulling through.

As one source put it, "The doctors are concerned it has been too long that he's been in this condition and now it's not looking good." [/rQUOTEr]

[rQUOTEr]Lamar Odom spent a fortune -- $75,000 -- at Love Ranch South in just over 3 days.

Sources at the Ranch tell us, Ranch employees picked Lamar up and chauffeured him from his Vegas home to the ranch, 70 miles away.

When Odom got there he faced a lineup ... consisting of the working girls from which he had the pick of the litter.

He chose 2 girls who were at his beck and call the entire stay.

Lamar had the VIP suite and with room, board and girls ... the total was $75k.[/rQUOTEr]

[rQUOTEr]Master P is coming out swingin' at Kobe Bryant -- saying Kobe's public display of emotion over Lamar Odom is an ACT ... because he had the chance to SAVE Lamar, but didn't step up when it counted.

Master P was charged up in the video -- saying he was "like a mentor" to Odom and personally knew how serious Lamar was about wanting to return to the NBA.

He says Kobe was also aware of the situation and could have used his clout with the Lakers to get Odom back on the squad, but instead did nothing.

"If Kobe was his friend ... Kobe, like, owns the team. He could've got the man back on the team ... that's all he wanted."

P also goes off on the NBA -- saying Odom was "blackballed" from the league over his decision to be on "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" ... because at the time, the NBA wanted nothing to do with them.

As for Khloe, P says he truly believed Odom loved her -- but made a mistake in marrying her because "he didn't realize what he was getting into." He concludes with a warning to James Harden.[/rQUOTEr]

19. brooksstephens

But what does Ja Rule think about all of this?

1 person likes this.
  20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Jeez louise. I had no idea Master P is now up to $350 million net worth ($90 million more than Kobe freaking Bryant the guy he his putting on blast) He's been running things from behind the curtain for a while now I guess. I'd actually bend an ear to what Master P is saying.