1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets claim Arlasan Kazemi off waivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

2. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Come on, now. Let's not cast aspersians.

3. Keyan

Keyan Member

He's an above average free throw shooter like most players from europe and asia.

I'm just giving you the rundown on the guy. But, Bill Walton said it best

[youtube]HZqGv6qOW1s[/youtube]

Actually it was the Athletic Director who made the racist remark around their egyptian center "Omar Toraby", Arsalan and their assistant coach. Omar would miss friday practices to go to prayer(he's muslim) both players left Rice afterwards. The assisstant coach left in protest.

I also went to Rice, if you don't know something, no need comment.

4. malakas

malakas Member

why would he go to D-league? So that Hinkie could have his rights held him hostage and he will be paid peanuts? There are other leagues where a player with his skills can earn much more, develop and play meaningfull games where wins matter and team game is played and not guards just shooting /everyone for his own/showcase like in almost every D-league team.
    Now he is free to sign and try to make the roster for every team that will give him a chance.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

To work on his skills if the team he signs with doesn't have playing time for him. Just like any other fringe NBA player would go to the Dleague.

If you're someone who is trying to make it in the NBA, refusing to get sent down to the Dleague is straight up asinine, so hopefully the poster who said that was incorrect.

6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

6'7" PF that can't shoot 3
    what is morey thinking?

7. Keyan

Keyan Member

He's the star of the Iranian national team. When teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid and a handful of teams from China and Russia are interested in you - and will pay you more than 20 - 30 times the amount you get paid in the D league (40k a year). It's a different case. Also factor in the possibility of getting injured, why risk it? You have to think like a player and agent. Players make smarter decisions than you and I alot of times.

8. malakas

malakas Member

He can work on his skills and develop while getting paid in other leagues. The D-league is an awful league. And in contrast to most other players who are in D-league he wasn't even a free agent who anyone could call up anytime if he liked what he saw. He was a hostage of Hinkie who offered him only a tender so he could keep open roster spots so that he could make deals of capspace for picks.
    He wasn't signed a normal contract and refused to get sent down by his team.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes, he was a nice college player. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything as far as his NBA prospects.

Look, I hope you're right and that he'll be a great addition and more to the team. But after years of LOFs overhyping their man and constantly blaming various individuals and bizarre scenarios for being the only reasons he hasn't become a huge player in the league, I just can't help but be skeptical when I see the same thing being done for another player.

And to say that his rebounding is "incredible", that he's "one of the most versatile defenders in the league", and that he's a $5 million / year type player?

I see him as a good 15th guy who will be fighting to not get cut. Hopefully you're right and I'm wrong. I just hope for his sake that he can join the team ASAP to start playing in our preseason games.

10. malakas

malakas Member

I'ts not that he had a contract and he refused the team assignment to the D-league. That's a breach of contract and has serious repercussions. He was unemployed with the team that had his rights didn't give him a contract for multiple years. Then he his agent and another two players I think finally required the tender offer to sign it to force Hinkie to make a decision. Either let them go (would become unrestricted free agents) or have them play for the team.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You should host a Late Night Show....

12. alethios

alethios Member

We've already got a human dunking highlight reel who plays defense and can't shoot. Why would we need another?

13. HTM

HTM Member

I've got nothing against the guy but if what you claim about him is true, that he can make 1 million + a year in Europe/China.... he should just play there instead of attempting to win an NBA contract... which he probably won't do based on his history/age/ability

It would be smarter to make substantial money abroad and prove yourself in the best leagues of Europe where he could show well and potentially earn a substantial NBA contract than to bounce around the fringes of the NBA trying to earn the minimum

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Just in case McDaniels fractures both feet, legs, and entire body from shear use. Dude fractured his wrist over nothing pretty easy last year and was sidelined.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Can't have enough energy players for that 2nd unit. Let's just see what the kid can do before we all have an aneurysm about the signing. I see no downside in seeing what he can do and/or fit in with current team .... during preseason.

Not going to find an all star available this time of year.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Then he should do that. If he wants to play with an NBA team, he needs to accept the possibility of getting sent to the Dleague at times during the season. Jones, Motiejunas, Capela and others have all benefited from time there.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

It's almost as if you didn't read the post you quoted.

The D-League was not the best option for his career at that point in time.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I did read it. When the poster who claimed to know the guy said "he doesn't want to go to the Dleague" I thought he meant that if he signs with a team (like the Rockets) he doesn't want to get sent to the Dleague.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, not claimed to know the guy, but the poster who mentioned that Kazemi didn't want to go to the Dleague.

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

As a Rice alum, I'm ambivalent.