1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Larry Sanders meeting with the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockergordon, Oct 12, 2015.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

neg rep or positive rep with neg message?

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm confused....isn't the fact that he gave up "tens of millions of dollars" proof that money isn't the priority for him? He left the game saying it was in his best interest to leave the pressures and anxieties behind.

The Rockets actually can offer him a low pressure environment. We are a stable franchise that has worked with troubled players in the past. From a basketball standpoint, our defense and offense are built to emphasize Sanders' strengths, and he wouldn't be the starter or first big off the bench.

If I'm Sanders and I'm looking to get back into the league, a two year stint with a team like the Rockets would go a long way to rebuilding my career.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

I was really intrigued by the Dwight-Capela frontcourt combo that we played with the 3 guards (Lawson, Harden, Beverley). Sanders just adds to those possibilities.

Not trying to turn this into a TJones hatefest....

But I think Capela and Harrell at the 4 is the most valid argument for how and why TJones could get squeezed out of the rotation. You have to ask yourself, "If I need a rebound from my PF, do I want TJones or Capela out there?" "If I need my PF to switch onto Steph Curry, do I want Capela or TJones?" "Is TJones really much better at running the floor than Capela or Harrell?"

If Sanders is signed, that may point to more Capela time at the 4. Between DMo, Capela and some small ball (Ariza) it's hard to see where TJones would get his minutes.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Someone who gets it. Rockets would be tailor made for Sanders. And Sanders is not Royce White.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

He was also sporting a Rocket's throwback jersey. In any case its the off season, speculation is just a thing to pass the time.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

He's probably just here to get some MJ.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Isn't he the more reasonable version of Royce White?

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's deja vu from last season's Josh Smith threads. There was so much garbage about why Morey would not sign him, or how bad of a fit he would be on the Rockets. You guys were not only being ignorant and judgemental but completely wrong then too.

If Rockets can add talent like Sanders without hurting the team, then you do it. I will trust Morey and the Rockets to make an informed decision and create a successful environment for both Sanders and the team. All you naysayers lack the wherewithal and the creativity to look past your own prejudices.

9. cwebbster

cwebbster Member

Is this guy related to that idiot Bernie Sanders?

10. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

Yes. They are.
    Just like Reggie Bush and George W Bush.

:grin:

1 person likes this.
  11. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

maybe he's just meeting with john lucas?

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Either that, or it's deja vu from the Royce White threads or the Terrence Williams threads where the naysayers said they were too knuckleheaded to be worth the trouble. Sometimes these things work. But, they sometimes also fail. In this case, I'd want to see something more compelling than his desire to collect an NBA contract to indicate he had a genuine interest to put in the work. We have a team that can contend this year. You don't put that at risk with distractions unless you have good reason to believe the bet will pay off.

13. Normalus

Normalus Member

I would like him a lot for vet. minimum, low risk - big reward type of guy! Screw his problems, people change when there is some real motivation (ring).

14. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

he's making like 2 mil a year for the next 7 years, not exactly coming back for the paycheck.

Read the complex profile I posted above, gives you insight into who Larry Sanders is.

15. malakas

malakas Member

oh he would be a good fit of course. Because if he's on form he is a starting caliber center.
    But in contrast with Josh Smith Sanders IS a lockeroom cancer and IS a bad character and IS a distraction.
    Multiple fistfights with teammates, leaving puppies in the cold to die and anumal abuse, drunk fights in clubs where he gets injured and throws bottles and arrested, getting caught high again and again.
    Josh Smith's influence was ON the court at least Sanders is on and off.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Neither Royce White or Terrence Williams did jack in the NBA. They were fringe players at best, comparing them to Larry Sanders or Josh Smith is inane.

17. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member

IMO Morey would see Sanders as "hurting the team". That's not prejudice, and I don't need creativity to see the man has mental health issues. Josh Smith was not a cancer to his team as a person. Josh was a poor fit the way Stan was using him. But with Sanders if he had no mental health issues he'd be a good candidate to be a rim protector for a NBA team, that is what he can do on the court. The real problem is he is Royce White all over again with mental health issues, We don't need that and like you said I too trust Morey to make the right call. My gut tells me Les doesn't want the headache.

You can keep on spewing your claims of hate but it doesn't make it true. Personally I think Sanders is right when he talks about the problems of mental health in the NBA and the lack of understanding on how to deal with it. The whole world has this problem. I applaud him for trying to get his life figured out first.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12354422/larry-sanders-battle-anxiety-depression

18. glynch

glynch Member

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Ricky Williams with a basketball. He has made more money than I ever will and I'm a happy guy. I hope he finds happiness also. It would even better if he finds happiness in a rockets uniform playing for a title.