1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephon Marbury: "Jordan been robbing the hood"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RV6, Oct 6, 2015.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes he tells kids they should love his shoes. All theses guy Kobe, KD, Lebron should stop. its despicable.

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

A little disappointed nobody has said

WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOOOSE!?

1 person likes this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I had a pair of Starbury's. Even though I wound up tearing them after a few years I would buy them again because of the price.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Incredibly insightful. A rarity here, thanks / repped.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Stephon, one of my favorite Conny Islander.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Gotta love his m.o. He's at least thinking of the little people. If I recall correctly, Hakeem did something similar with converse.

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

He doesn't make anything. Nike makes the shoes for a few dollars, then sells them to uneducated consumers for hundreds. Yeah, there's plenty of people who love Jordan brand shoes, can afford them, and do so -- more power to those people.

There's just as many people who buy them just because Jordan/Nike say so, and don't understand they're paying for $3 worth of materials, and $147 worth of marketing.

I wore Jordans as a kid, because they looked cool, and I like most children in that age 'worshiped' the guy. As an adult, I know that he's not only human, but he's also a huge *******. I haven't bought shoes that expensive in quite awhile, and I certainly won't any time soon. I'd rather waste my money elsewhere.

If there was actual innovation in the shoe market that was worth $150 I'd be thrilled to pony up. Honestly with the way I run through shoes, I might as well just set the money on fire rather than buy a new pair of Lebrons or whatever.

1 person likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

some people are taking that comment a little too literally by stating the obvious. to each their own. Jordan has done nothing wrong and its hilarious to see people call him despicable.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's debatable. When you're aware that people are getting shot over your product due to the low amount you are sending to retailers, and you do absolutely nothing about it there's a question of morality there.
    It's not like they can't get enough rubber to make additional shoes, they intentionally do so to increase demand and drive up price. Which, I am not upset with them for wanting to make money...there's nothing wrong with that. With that said there's a point when you can call it greed. Jordan certainly has enough money to last himself, and many future generations a lifetime.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It was Spalding and I posted the pic of them on page 2.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I once did a 360 dunk from the FT line wearing Marbury's. I switched to Jordan's and tore my ACL.

12. 25CookemHarden

I use to sport jordan shorts when I hooped alot. But now I don't buy Jordans anymore. I use to get ankle injuries all the time in jordans and Nike. I don't hoop much anymore so that may be a reason.

Regardless, I went barefoot.. Vivobarefoot. They are more expensive then jordans, but I don't buy it for style. Hell they are mostly ugly shoes, but my ankles and feet are super strong these days.

13. 25CookemHarden

correction

correction above.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you read my earlier posts, you would know that I am not just singling out Jordan. All these celebrity endorsements are just marketing ploys.

These star players tell kids to love a brand of shoes not because they actually believe one brand is better than the others, but because they are paid by one brand.

Kids love their shoes mostly not because they know by objective means that those shoes are superior than other brands but because they love the celebrities who endorse them.

There's nothing wrong with making money. But I do feel that Marbury's injecting some other kind of value to the kids refreshing.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

16. brooksstephens

I don't think kids today, inner city or otherwise, care one bit about Stephon Marbury. Most probably don't even know who he is. It's been 10 years since he was relevant outside of his team's locker room.

17. dream2franchise

Sure did.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/may/27/how-hakeem-olajuwon-tried-and-failed-to-stop-the-90s-sneaker-killings

18. dream2franchise

Also this from the same article. Which address why (in my opinion) Hakeem doesn't get the respect as the games greatest big man.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is being a sneaker head like collecting purses?

Someone else will fit that spot. Jordan didn't invent marketing.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9e9T3DNAdaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>