1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Colts @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't have a choice but to get rid of the ball quickly.

Anyway, there's no point in discussing this, if you think the O line has done a good job of pass blocking simply because Mallett is getting the ball away and not taking sacks, that's fine with me.

You noticed that one of the first things Hoyer did when he got back in was get sacked by the 3rd team....I guess the O line just stopped blocking when the Falcons' reserves got in the game.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

PFF Update on Offensive Lines:

9th in pass blocking. But sure, it's bc Mallett is a wizard.

3. rezdawg

Watch the tape. He's had good protection even when not getting rid of the ball quickly. He's hardly ever even hurried. That means, if he is getting the ball out quickly, he's doing so unnecessarily. Get that?

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He knows eventually he'll have pressure, so he's just being proactive, duh.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, I don't know why I bother with you. Anyway, let's end this here, I'll discuss this with someone else, but with you there's no point.

6. rezdawg

PFF grades based on circumstances. If Mallett was getting molested in the pocket and making errant throws, he wouldnt be penalized as much. Yet, that's not the case. Look at how low the percentage of hurries is against the Texans...again...if Mallett is getting rid of the ball quickly, then his actions are not necessary.

Like RM95 said, that's probably because he's a proactive kind of guy. Then again, people like RM95 dont know much about the sport of football...thus, they should focus on other sports that they may know something about, like underwater basket weaving.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I know, you parrot PFF....which is why I'm not going to bother discussing things like this with you. It won't lead to intelligent discussion.

There's no question that Mallett has to get better when it comes to his accuracy, but saying the O line has done a good job pass blocking is just inaccurate....but I know you get your opinion from PFF so I'm not going to expect you to look for yourself.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Kenny Hillilard time?

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jumal Rolle time?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think so, he hasn't been called up that I know of and Polk might still play giving the team 3 healthy-ish RB's.

11. rezdawg

In that case, NFL teams should stop hiring PFF for info...and use you instead!

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Polk is questionable

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but I think if he was going to be out, they'd have already called up Hilliard...which I'd be in favor of anyway, I don't like Polk between the tackles.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah, the pass protection hasn't really been bad at all. You don't really see many breakdowns or a ton of sacks or QB hit.

Mallet is just bad at football.

15. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Let's pretend that he hasn't started started only 5 games in his career. Growing Pains.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think there's a difference between a 21 year old rookie who's started 5 games and a 27 year old who's been in the NFL for 4+ years and has 5 starts. No, Mallett probably shouldn't have the same expectations as an established starting QB. But he shouldn't be treated like a rookie either.

He shouldn't be going through what a lot of rookies go through. He's essentially been in the same offense for 5 years now. He should know it. He should have enough experience in practice and games to know the speed of the NFL game. He's been working with NFL coaches for 5 years, including O'Brien for 3. Any technique issues he needed to work on coming out of college should've already been thoroughly worked on.

And he's not even playing a rookie level. He's playing at bad rookie level. Forget 5 games. He's 27 and in his 5th year in the league. More should be expected out of him if he's ever going to be a legit starting QB in this league.

Hoyer only had 1 start before becoming a starter for the Browns and did a hell of a lot more in his first handful of games with them than what Mallett has done for us. He was 28 and in his 5th year in the league and the "he's only started 'X' games" never applied to him. He had the job when he played well and got benched when he stopped playing well (and got injured).

#196 Cannonball, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

They need to play rolle tired of seeing bouye get beat over and over.

18. Mr. Clutch

What cannonball said.

As an example, Schaub was far more competent his first year. Was very accurate, had a solid y/a and grasped the offense

Instead, we've gotten this:

[​IMG]

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Pickup that NRG Turf on the waiver wire. Plenty of points this week

20. Mr. Clutch

Especially if you're in a ppr league