1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conger's "defense"

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Sep 16, 2015.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Hank has now thrown out 1 of 39 runners this year. That's 3%. The league average is 31%. In previous years, Conger has thrown out between 22-25%. Are there any rational explanations for this sudden decline? Injury perhaps?

On the flip side, Conger does rank 12th in pitch framing (Castro is 9th, see: http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php). Conger's dWar is .1, which is better than I expected.

We're certainly in a hole defensively with Castro out (dWar of 1.3), but I don't see how we can continue to start Conger in the majority of meaningful games. It's my theory that, with catchers especially, if you can't hit, you need to make up for it defensively. Alternatively, if catchers can't field, they need to make up for it offensively. Conger hasn't shown the ability to do either effectively. I love Conger's locker room presence, but his on field production is looking like a sunk cost.

Thoughts on Conger's defense, his play, and his place on the team?

2. Nook

Nook Member

Conger can hit. He has a 750 OPS and a lot of power. His defense has been below average but my main concern is his arm, he has to be hurt.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's all I can figure. Prior to this season he was just slightly below average at throwing out base runners, and not a liability. This season he is abysmal, and the plays are rarely even close.

4. Major

Major Member

It seems like every single baserunner should steal every time they get onto first base - even guys like Prince Fielder. If nothing else, force Conger to make throws or force the Astros to take him out of the game.

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

It's like the "hack-a-rocket". I'm surprised there isn't more running on Conger. I'd send the runner every time on him.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

Joey Gallo stole a base last night. I haven't seen Gallo run, but he doesn't strike me as a threat.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

I was at last night's game. Man Dallas has so many ****ty fans. I hope Houston isn't like that for opposing fans.

3 more stolen bases against Conger last night. Now 1-42. On one of them, Cogner couldn't even catch the ball coming out of his jump. His problem has to be mental at this point.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

Does anyone know where to get a Conger jersey?

Seriously though, Conger's games and mannerisms deserve its own thread.

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/e20rE37v20Q/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Does anyone know the story on the Conger_Bot move in the HR celebration?

I don't understand what it means. He turns back and forth 360 degrees while he does the robot arms and neck tilt with his eyes closed. It's like an obstacle to the rest of the HR celebration you have to go through. It's funny but has it been explained where it came from? I don't recall anyone asking him about it. It also seems like he is wearing it out at this point. lol

I think it may be metaphor for how he is never able to throw out base stealing runners.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Chappelle Show

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

OMG that's so effen funny! I so missed out on "Chappelle Show" so I had no clue. I'm probably the only one who didn't know what it was from, too!? :grin:

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Chappelle Show is GOAT