1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2015 NBA Draft/1-18] Sam Dekker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2015.

?

Do you like the pick?

1. YES

539 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

155 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I am no analyst but I thought he looked alright. I knew he was going to look a little lost and hesitant. He showed some tenacity, hustle and a decent court awareness. I bet he progresses fairly well and will be a solid fit.

2. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I think this perfectly fits what I saw from him last night. I don't think there should be any red flags put out. He honestly looked like this was his first game. He was active. Had some good defensive plays. Hit a clutch 3. Grabbed a clutch steal that led to a fast break. Was in the mix for rebounds.

He also looked jittery and missed more shots than I would have liked. But so did the rest of the team. No worries here. It'll be a long season for him, and hopefully he'll improve playing for the RGV.

3. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He's a better rebounder than I expected.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Enough with sugar coating everything and false hopes

He looked very much the scrub that I predicted him to be judging from last night.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yes, because EVERY ROTATION-QUALITY PLAYER EVER played well in their very first professional game!

:rolleyes:

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

One example of someone sucking in their first preseason game is Parsons, he looked like ass in his first preseason game and he turned out to be a nice piece a couple years later.

I'm not super high on Dekker either but gotta wait at least a year before judging.

7. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Agreed he looked lost at times. It was his first outing. God - imagine his nerves. But there was enough glimpses to not throw him under the bus just yet.

8. HTM

HTM Member

you're the worst

you and the mavs fan swwwggyyy or however you spell it

1 person likes this.
  9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

It was one preseason game people. Yes his shot looked horrible and he looked lost at times. He'll improve.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To be honest, he looked like a rookie a lot of the time, but he showed more potential defensively than I would have expected and he seems to have a knack for finding the ball either when it comes to getting steals or rebounds. I think he could be a solid contributor in a year or so.

11. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

He ain't gonna turn out to be ****. Soft as doe

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The positives for Dekker (from 1 pre-season game)
    - he could dribble with either hand, seemed to know what he was doing at the top of the key. That's a nice asset for a 4
    - was big and strong enough to be adequate defensively vs 4s
    - knows his way around the basketball court - can move without the ball, seems to understand what he needs to be doing

There were plenty of negatives from that game - but I'll wait and see how he goes the rest of the pre-season - will give a better feel for what he can't do, and might clarify if those positives are real.

13. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Absolutely not worried, that three from the corner was sweet.

Has a nose for the ball, that is a gift that not everyone has.

Should see a lot of him against the Mavs.

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Thought he showed a bit and hit a nice three

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I was one of the biggest haters on Chandler Parsons in his first preseason. Me:

"This guy is a crappier version of Chase Budinger! I don't know what the reporters were saying, this guy has terrible defense!"

I was extremely wrong. For the three seasons he played for us Chandler Parsons really shut me up.

17. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yeah, as much as I thought Dekker was a bad pick, and as much as I thought he looked bad last night, I am certainly not going to make any final judgements because of how wrong I've been in the past. Namely on Capela. I was calling him the Swiss Miss after his first few appearances. I thought Morey blundered that one due to trying to make a eurostash cap saving pick, and that he looked worse than any other player that I'd ever seen.

Then he put in the work in RGV, and next thing you know he is slamming down lobs, blocking shots and sticking Steph Curry out on the perimeter.

So, while I have confidence saying Dekker looked bad in his first game, and I still think he won't pan out, the case of Capela is going to keep me from making any final pronouncements on a young player for quite some time.

18. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Dekker nice pre-game interview.

He knows what he is, what he has to offer and most importantly what he has to show to get playing time.

He thinks he can help the team.

19. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

He's been playing well so far tonight. Great rebounding!

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Dekker is yet another long and athletic wing to come off our deep bench. That KJ to Dekker oop was my highlight of the game.