1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith Threatens Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theoldblood, Oct 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Listened for a couple of mins and had to tap out . What did he say exactly that was a "threat" ?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You should post an image of yourself before we answer. Thanks in advance.

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Narcos: The <a href="https://twitter.com/stephenasmith">@stephenasmith</a> Story. Coming soon to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/2MinuteDrill?src=hash">#2MinuteDrill</a> w/ <a href="https://twitter.com/TonyBakercomedy">@tonybakercomedy</a>. <a href="http://t.co/cEYPR2ysSO">pic.twitter.com/cEYPR2ysSO</a></p>&mdash; All Def Digital (@AllDefDigital) <a href="https://twitter.com/AllDefDigital/status/651503474446733312">October 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5u9ZetaiqhA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. dream2franchise

5. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

damn, he only talks slick like that to black people. when michelle beadle chin checked him he went all morgan freeman in driving miss daisy.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well honestly the more Durant opens his mouth the more he reminds me of Tmac, they both have the same foot-in-mouth disease. KD is universally regarded as Mr. Nice Guy and the inheritor of MJ's squeaky clean image (or was before Curry), but he keeps ruining it with his comments on the air. What exactly has the media done to KD? LBJ has been treated waaay worse by the media, and you don't hear him saying comments this emo.

7. _Numberfifty

_Numberfifty Member

So, I was wondering.

And I have been ever since I first saw firsttake.

Who watches this? Is this really what America finds entertaining?
    I wouldnt know since I'm not from the states.

But these two gentlemen are constantly nagging about
    - players' motives
    - Things they once saw
    - Things they once did.

Now I have been trying to give it a go.
    Because honestly ESPN is a pretty big deal in the sence of a global sports network.

YET! I'd also much rather watch Inside the NBA or NBA Open Court.

Which seems way more insightful, way less angry at the world and ALOT
    more entertaining. Sure Inside the NBA has alot of gimmicks and
    from time to time its not the most serious show on.

But I've worked in Television and at the end of the day what you wanna do is
    reach your audience. Which I feel, and I could be wrong. Is whats missing on
    FirstTake.

So actually what I'd like to know is;

How come this is still a show, and how come these guys are still on it?
    Does America gravely value their opinions?
    Who is this show for?

And are you guys actually enjoying things like the Jalen Rose - Skip Bayless
    beef?

I'm just curious about why this is 'still' a thing...

Oh and PS,
    Henry Abbott on TrueHoopsTV blinks his eyes far to much while on camera.
    [go check it out, its insane].

Lots of Love,
    #50 from the Netherlands

8. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Trying to boost ratings. Media loves to escalate conflict because people like to watch it.

Stephen A Smith is unlikely to be fired or reprimanded for the above

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Steven A. is such a little man, it's not even funny.

10. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Controversy sells and FirstTake gravitates towards it. Skip talks complete non-sense and SAS likes to yell to "try" and get his "point" across. Someone else posted this, they are good for a laugh every now and then.

11. brooksstephens

SAS said, as if he were speaking directly to KD, You DON'T want to make an enemy out of ME."

Not a direct threat, but strongly hinting that he can make life rough on KD as a reporter with considerable pull.

I don't have a problem with it. It's entertaining. KD takes public shots at SAS's integrity, he snaps back. I don't see what the problem is. Good for SAS and good for KD.

And all of the hate in the world you guys have for SAS doesn't change the fact that he is very good at what he does, and he does break BIG news. He has built a valuable network of sources while being entertaining enough to draw the ire of all of you. He's winning.

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

That was the most emo crap I have ever heard. If that is what passes for a threat these days, manhood no longer exists. Really can't stand that network.

13. _Numberfifty

_Numberfifty Member

@theoldblood

While I would agree with you that "Controversy sells", I would also like to point out
    that controversy know manier shapes and sizes. Not all of which translate into bigger and
    or better reviews and ratings.

That aside,

I fully agree that they speak and then after argue non-sense.

Which is where my initial question originated from.

"WHY? is this a thing."

Now I'm not looking for absolute answers here, since there probably is a higher goal and
    motive to keep something as annoying and displeasing as the Skip and SAS combination
    on TV. Especially at a network such as ESPN.

I'm just curious about what their appeal is?

Is it really two old geezers trying to out scream eachother whilst trying to make the
    most bogus and boldest statements amongst one another?

Or am I missing a part of the show where they make America fall in love with them and
    their downright obnoxious opinions?

Kindest amongst regards
    #50 from the Netherlands

14. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Lol right, I got more of an intimidation vibe from it, but SAS is a joke regardless.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What?

16. hakeemthagreat

I've ntoiced a pattern of this from SAS

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This is the problem with networks like ESPN, conflict of interest all over the network. How can you honestly cover sports when you have contracts with sports leagues? ESPN constantly has an ombudsman on staff, and the last guy who served for 18 months concluded the same. Some serious conflict of interest and journalistic integrity issues.

In this case you have an ESPN paid staff member/personality/entertainer threatening (journalistically) a player for a league they have broadcast agreements with.

Most interesting to me is we've not heard a word from ESPN, the NBA PA, or the NBA. I guarantee there has been conversations behind the scenes though. Especially with the big Disney layoffs upcoming in part due to recent billion dollar ESPN/NBA contract.

18. hakeemthagreat

Switching teams every few years deserves criticism. If anything they should be MORE critical of LBJ for keep jumping ship when things don't work out. KD is more grounded & loyal, and less worried about his "brand"

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He's on tv everyday giving horrible sports takes. The only thing he must be good at is getting ratings I guess.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Now I'm going to be cruising espn.com looking for a title like, "Stephen A Reaches Out To The Rock".