1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Yankees Wildcard Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2015.

1. the shark

the shark Member

I hear ya. Without this game neither the Giants or the Royals make it to the WS last yr.

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Duffy made it, nice.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Astros roster indeed includes Matt Duffy as 25th man. No surprises. <a href="http://t.co/G81gc4CnQz">pic.twitter.com/G81gc4CnQz</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/651414190809346048">October 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So did Villar... no surprises at all since they get to change the roster if they win this game. This is strictly for tonight's game only.

Notice that the only other starting pitcher on the roster is Fiers... no McHugh, McCullers or Kazmir.

That will be different if they make the LDS.... don't expect Duffy, Villar, and likely no Fields.

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I understand what you are saying, and there is no doubt this is a huge game, and today and tomorrow will have great TV numbers compared to many playoff games. However, semantically speaking I still consider this to be a "Play-In" game rather than a playoff game.

I love this new playoff format because it gives Wild Cards a real chance (see last year), but it really rewards teams for winning a division.

Regardless, getting into this game makes the season highly successful, win or lose.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think Fields makes the LDS roster. It's possible Kaz doesn't make it. They won't need 5 starters.

#165 leroy, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  6. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

Why is neshek and qualls on the roster? We already conceding defeat?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure.... it literally is a play-off (or play-in) game.

But as far as importance/stage goes... this one "winner takes all game" features all the marquee/pressure/importance that any game 7 would.

Not to mention there is absolutely no competition tonight from college football, NFL football, or any other MLB game. This will be THE story tonight and tomorrow morning in the sports world.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd consider starting Kazmir in KC... not for sure, but I'd consider it.

He did great earlier this year there (right after the trade)... and they have their fair-share of lefties.

To me, Fields will not be called upon unless the game is out of hand, or if its long into extra innings. And even then, Fiers will be on the roster and could be used as the "long" man.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:13818728&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

<iframe width='640' height='360' scrolling='no' frameborder='0' src='http://sports.yahoo.com/video/dallas-keuchel-carry-astros-alds-212812368.html?format=embed' allowfullscreen='true' mozallowfullscreen='true' webkitallowfullscreen='true' allowtransparency='true'></iframe>

#169 Commodore, Oct 6, 2015
  10. body slam

body slam Member

I was thinking the same thing.

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

confirmation pics required

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Who else would they use in their place? Neither Feliz nor Velasquez did anything special in September to warrant being on the one game roster.

13. bobrek

And, you forgot to add, that it is in New York which makes it even more news worthy.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

True... or the fact that it involves the Yankees at all (as I'd expect similar coverage if this game was in Houston).

Then again, tomorrow's Cubs-Pirates game will get the same marquee attention... but it also involves the Cubs.

Hell, SC has a freaking countdown timer to first pitch on their screen... of course, it being on ESPN tonight probably is the reason.

15. Nero

Nero Member

NESHEK!! :mad::mad:

16. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

If Kaz is not in the roster is because they have him starting the first game in KC

Duffy was my only surprise on that group.

17. bobrek

Why wouldn't McHugh start on his usual 4 days rest?

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But on the flip side, you could also ask why not have Kazmir (a lefty with playoff experience) available for a possible emergency tonight, if there are zero plans of him pitching in KC?

(and by emergency... I mean Keuchel tripping and falling and breaking both arms/legs/face prior or during the game).

I do expect McHugh to start the ALDS, regardless... so the question then is LMJ vs. a tough lefty-laden KC lineup that Kazmir did fair well against. I'd lean LMJ, but wouldn't keep Kazmir completely off the roster.

Or I guess the absolute alternative is that Kazmir is done as an Astro... regardless of what other games are left.... but the way Luhnow spoke about considering him lately makes me think this is not the case.

#178 Nick, Oct 6, 2015
  19. bobrek

Not sure if they wrestled with that decision or not. I was thinking more along the lines that the game goes extremely long. It seems they may want to have a starter ready to just keep pitching. Fiers can perform that role, but in a win or go home game, it seems that an extra 'long' man may be worth it.

It would just surprise me if they do win tonight they wouldn't go McHugh, McCullers, Keuchel the first three against the Royals.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He will