1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Member
    Supporting Member

And of course the A's decide to play like trash against the Rangers then again looks like the Angels and Twins will catch the Stros! I'm so glad basketball is right around the corner

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

I agree. I hate scoreboard watching and relying on others to do our own job. But Kluber still didn't have to be a bum...dude gave up more runs today than he did the past 3 games vs the Twins.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's amazing how unlikely playoffs look right now. Just a month ago it seemed like such a sure thing.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This has truly been one of the most deflating stretches I have ever been a fan of. We are basically still in control of our path to the playoffs, but it sure doesn't feel that way.

By any measure of the preseason expectations, this has been a successful year. This possible collapse does nothing to dampen my outlook on our long term success. Having said that, missing the playoffs after being in control for so long would be a major drag.

5. cwebbster

cwebbster Member

Guys....we got this. Predicting a sweep here this series on the Astros side.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

If the Astros complete the collapse and miss the playoffs, then my opinion is you have to fire Hinch. He's ultimately accountable and his reliever pitching moves in September have been dicey at times. He keeps going back to what isn't working and his response in post-game is usually something like "well...so-and-so has done well for us this season" and "I'd make that same move again". Then, he will go on about how we left too many men on base. He's like a broken record that keeps playing the same tune over and over knowing that tune doesn't play.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You don't fire a manager who has his team in contention ahead of schedule. If we somehow pull out of this tailspin and make the postseason, he's gonna win manager of the year, and it won't be a close vote.

Even if we do finish the collapse he's most certainly not on the hot seat, nor should he be. Every relief pitchers except Gregorson has blow leads in the last month. Neshek has been the worst offender, but Qualls, Harris and Fields have melted down as well on multiple occasions. Regardless of who he calls on, if they fail he gets blamed.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, does Hinch get any credit for getting them into this position to begin with or does he just get the blame for them possibly not coming through in September?

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

"If the players are good enough to win, only the manager can bring them down to losing levels." Silly.

10. Major

Major Member

When every reliever you have is sucking at the same time, all reliever moves will seem dicey. He's tried every combination of relievers in critical situations, and they've ALL failed (except Gregerson). It's easy to second guess them every day, but people will say "oh, he should have put in X". The next day, he puts in X in a similar situation, and he fails too.

If seems you're suggesting that Hinch would have been better off having the team mediocre all season long so they wouldn't have had a collapse - in that case, he keeps his job because why would you fire a first year manager that did a decent job? What kind of an incentive structure is that?

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Gregerson probably should've been used yesterday.

12. Major

Major Member

If he had been, it probably would have been his turn to fail. And then people would ask why we brought our closer in to a position he's not used to (8th inning, people on base) and asked him to get 5 outs. :eek:

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Agree, but if he blew it, the "Gregerson sucks" crowd would have shown back up, and Hinch still would have been roasted.

14. Commodore

Commodore Member

there's a reason MLB managers get paid so little, their decisions aren't as impactful

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well if this played into his decision-making, I hope Hinch is fired! :)

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Member

Keep hope alive in here Astro fans!

17. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Why Carter did not start yesterday? Why Gregerson did not pitch in the 8th? Hinch was outcoached by a great manager

18. Nick

Nick Member

So, we've now come to the conclusion that every loss his on Hinch being out-smarted... and every win was despite of Hinch.

This is about as accurate as you saying you wouldn't be coming back here.

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

"Why Carter did not start yesterday". Woah, never thought I'd hear that
    Yes I know he has hit better of late

20. Major

Major Member

If the genius managers on here had their way, Carter would not even be on the team right now.