1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marisnick

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cangrejero51, Sep 19, 2015.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Is he a starting CFer or a 4th OFer?

Last 30 games played his average is .297 with a slugging of .547
    Last 15 games his average is .303 with a slugging of .606 (Astros are 4 and 12 in september, one of few guys hitting a lot while the team struggles).

He has had ONLY 311 at bats this year. Now, even with no consistent playing time the guy has 9 homers and 20 steals. If he plays a full year, the numbers would be very close to a 20 homers/40 steal season.
    On the road, one of few guys that is doing much better than home, he has a .740 OPS.

When he was our "regular" CFer at the beginning of the season, we had our best record. Then he became a platoon guy with Tucker on board, and then platooning, with Rasmus once Gomez got here.

The funny thing is that he hits .263 vs righties and only .205 vs lefties (he hits lefties with power).

We all know about his defense, i don't have to say much there.

So the question is, should he be our regular centerfielder next year? I would try to trade Gomez, or move him to LF, why?
    Gomez has the bat to be a corner OF, Marisnick no. I believe Jake has the bat to be a good center fielder, as he hits for power and has speed, plus great defense.

I would like for Marisnick to play the remaining 14 games because i really think he helps the team win, PLUS HE DESERVES IT, he is playing great for the past month. In September he is only hitting .348 with an OPS over 1.100.

Why is Hinch platooning this guy????? That is another question.

2. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I just saw this stat:

WAR (Wins Above Replacement)

Who is first???? Altuve with 3.6 (now you see why i want him hitting third?
    Correa with 3.1, Springer with 2.4 AND MARISNICK with 2.0. Yes, MARISNICK IS FOURTH.

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

By the way, Gattis is at 0 and Carter -0.9

4. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Too many outfielders is a good problem to have. Tucker/Jake/Gomez/Springer is a nice rotation for 2016. Jake's definitely been playing better, and I'm of the opinion that his defense warrants a starting position, but Rasmus has also been having a very good September, and adding a lefty to the lineup is typically beneficial.

Also: PLEASE STOP POSTING MULTIPLE TIMES IN A ROW. Goodness, figure out a way to combine 1 thought within a single post. Doing this one or two times is fine, but it's a disease with you.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Should have not posted in this thread. We could have seen how long he would talk to himself.

1 person likes this.
  6. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I prefer Tucker as a DH and then we can play the other outfielders. Gattis has not hit enough for him to be the ONLY DH instead of platooning a little bit with Tucker.
    Rasmus in last 30 games has hit .218 with a slugging of .416. I do like Rasmus, but i think that Marisnick should play until he stops hitting, no matter who is pitching.

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Sometimes Jake doesn't play even with Gomez out so he's not even 4th. Hinch's biggest fail of the season for me.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

hE carn't do dat...heeeeEEE neeDD to poSt to his selfs soes somesone would listun to hum

9. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I think the biggest is Gattis, i would had play Tucker a little bit more.
    I don't know what to think about him, he has an OPS of .721 with a slugging of .445. Tucker on the other hand, vs righties is hitting .264 with an OPS .836.

Second i believe is the lineups, why don't you move the 20 year old rookie from the third spot, take a little of that pressure, have him hit 2nd, give him protection with Altuve hitting third? Springer leading off.

Tucker hitting 4th, with Lowrie 5th, Gomez 6th (when he plays), Valbuena 7th, Marisnick 8th and Castro 9th.

You have a balance of righties and lefties in that lineup, gives you defense.

Third is way he handled the relievers. Look, Harris has struggled lately, but he still better than Neshek, why he continues to pitch Neshek in the 8th?

I can tell you at least 10 things i think Hinch has done wrong, but continues to do it again and again.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Nah he's just a 4th outfielder. Great glove and athlete but horrible offensive player. They need to upgrade badly for a 3rd outfielder

11. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I saw we start tweeting the news columnists voicing are displeasure during and/or after the games. I started last night. I woke up this morning with a hangover thinking it was all just a bad dream but you know the rest heh

12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

"I say we tweet"..typo

getting my morning caffeine

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Horrible? That describes most of the team. He is not "horrible" and his speed,defense and enthusiasm helps this team win. This team sorely misses a player like Marisnick as an everyday starter. He singlehandedly scored a run the other day on the bases. Starting the season Jake, George and Colby in the outfield were fun to watch (maybe the best defensive outfield, although the A's looked pretty good last night). They were making awesome plays and having fun and more importantly firing up the team. Now they just look broken and lost and once again Marisnick sits on the bench.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Offensively he is horrible. We could use a defensive wiz like him off the bench but he should not be an everyday player. Gomez will be in center and Spring in RF so that LF spot needs a major upgrade. I'm shooting for either Upton or Cespedes. Both have power, good ob%, decent BA, and can get a man in from third if there is less than 2 outs.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Marisnick is having a very good September and he had a good April. Let's look at the rest of the months:

May - .236 OBP, .274 SLG with more at bats than he had in April
    June - .178 OBP, .310 SLG - missed a lot of games at the end of the month with an injury
    July - .232 OBP and .296 SLG with about as many at bats as he had in April
    August - .231 OBP and .320 SLG with a handful of at bats less than he had in April

mick fry - where has Hinch failed with respect to Marisnick?

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

I already gave my take Mr. Bobrek.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My point is that Hinch has been giving him plenty of playing time this month and he has finally responded. He also had ample playing time in the previous months and he sucked. Was Hinch supposed to keep trotting him out there when he was offensively miserable May - August?

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Hasn't he been pretty much doing that with the rest of the team that hasn't given him near what Jake has defensively? Gomez was terrible for the longest and Hinch never batted an eye. Now if ya want more offense then look at your DH that has also been given a pass all year.

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

When players don't perform

Blame the manager

It's easy

20. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Righties hit better against Gray, so tonight it was better to use Marisnick and Carter