1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] FINALLY! Rockets unveil black alternate jersey for 2016-17 season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 15, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

You can do something that is unique and inventive but also looks clean and good. Not everything unique has to be over the top or ugly. But it is much harder to achieve this combination and takes good designers. And the firm the Rockets have hired doesn't seem to do good designs.
    I don't think that the people here are too picky or difficult. The jerseys are universally hated/disliked.
    In my opinion most people who like the black jersey are also because they have set the bar too low. The main jerseys are ugly and the new alts are just weird/non tasteful.
    The fans here are starving for a good jersey. The black alt is the best of the worst we have been offered.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

- Black uni, LIKE it.

I have always wanted a SIMPLE fonted "Houston" on the jersey (Inspired by the '72 Rockets jersey and '05 throwback.) Clean, classic right to the point, add a little design touch, thats it. I like the checker pattern, adds little flair but still subtle
    Good job

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- "Pride" Clutch City uni, its okay. It pays homage to Rockets history with the lettering. It has red and yellow, thats nice. Though its sleeved, so its too "updated" to have a good throwback feel. I liked the previous red and yellow jersey over this one. But seeing ACTUAL Rockets era fonts is a nice sight.

- Grey uni, meh. It has black again. It is clean. BUT it doesnt have any yellow. It seems as though they focus group and survey about the color schemes and see results that yellow doesnt sell as well, so they move away from it. I understand that the NBA wont allow 90's era logos but there is little reason to remove the unique MUSTARD from the unis. I like it over the current regular unis, though. I just want to see those boring things go

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Loved the '05 throwback

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

once you go black you never go back

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I've never seen a worse NFL jersey that the black ones SF wore last week.
    If black is not in your color scheme anyway it just doesn't identify with the team,

[​IMG]

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Lol just funny how literally 90% of fan concepts are better than what the rockets put out.

Also I just noticed the spacing between 'Houston' and the number in the black jersey is not consistent with the spacing in the grey one. Way to go design team.

[​IMG]

#166 WhoMikeJames, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  7. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Do not like ANY of our jerseys. Period. Cannot believe this design team is so bad. I sure hope something changes when Nike comes around.

8. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

This is how I feel about it. People get excited for black because it's cool in theory... then it gets worn in a game and most people think it looks like crap. The Nets for example are just so bland, I can't stand watching their home games.

9. bmd

bmd Member

I like those. The main reason people think they look bad is that San Francisco already had one of the best, most iconic uniforms in sports. People don't like the "radical" change to a timeless uniform.

But on it's own, I think it looks pretty good.

10. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I dig the white and black one. The red version isn't too bad, I would probably buy these if they don't run over 60$ (which they probably will).

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Easy to say this in a vacuum, but the simple fact is that Clutchfans users and enthusiasts on the internet have posted tons of eye-catching and clean jersey designs.

If people like these, that's cool. I just think the standards should be higher.

We can argue generalities forever, but these particular jerseys are boring and could be improved. Someone would have to pay me to buy the red and grey ones. The black one I would wear if someone gave it to me.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Are the shoulder stripes a new trend? The new NOLA alts revealed today also have them. Also they are godawful. At least we don't have such awful alts.

13. nobie

nobie Member

They are trying to copy from soccer. Increase there market share, by making th shirts more "casual".

14. bmd

bmd Member

I like them. They are Mardi Gras uniforms. Mardi Gras colors are purple, green, and gold.

Being from New Orleans, I dig them.

[​IMG]

15. izeroi

izeroi Member

Nola's jerseys and that backbround in the pic make them look like a bunch of clowns lol

16. PJ86

PJ86 Member

What the hell, are they starring in the new Pixar or Disney movie? Good lord, it's like they have shields on, some power rangers type stuff. I'll take our weird ones over these cartoon jerseys any day.

17. bmd

bmd Member

Mardi Gras is a huge carnival. The "clown" / "jester" look is kind of celebrated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. bmd

bmd Member

That's what Mardi Gras is about. Over-the-top, gaudy, cartoonish, and weird is Mardi Gras.

Look at the Pelican's Mardi Gras mascot... King Cake Baby. It's weird, creepy, and ridiculous on purpose. And people love it:

[​IMG]

19. PJ86

PJ86 Member

That's their mascot?? Still, they didn't have to go with the mardi grass theme for the jersey. If they had a hippy festival with the colours of the rainbow in some hillbilly town like Dallas every year, they could pay homage to it, but so many different colours just looks ridiculous, no matter what you do.

20. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Only agree if you're talking about teams without black in their color scheme. Some teams with black in their color scheme have some of the best unis in their respective sports:

NFL: Steelers, Bears, Raiders
    NBA: Bulls, Blazers, Heat