1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IT'S TIME to retire Mutombo's number!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PJ86, Sep 12, 2015.

1. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Inducted into the HOF, calling Yao his big bro, thanking Leslie for his contributions to the hospital in his speech, IT'S TIME!! If not now, then when?
    Could be a special year for us to win a title and having Mutombo in the rafters sure wouldn't hurt ;)

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's never going to happen. I don't even understand why you think it should. I love Mutumbo, but if we retired his number there are SOOOOOOO many players whose number we should also retire. The guy joined our team at the tail end of his career and was largely intended to just be a backup center. Sure, he is a phenomenal human being - but you don't get your jersey retired for that.

3. PJ86

PJ86 Member

You don't? It baffles me how people do not understand why he should. The bold part is fair, but I'd like to see that list of sooooo many players you think should get it retired if Deke would.

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Elvin Hayes is 4th all-time scorer for the Rockets and 2nd in rebounds...He doesn't even have a retired Rockets number.

5. Buck Turgidson

Elvin Hayes, Yao, Mike Newlin, Ralph Sampson, Kenny Smith, Otis Thorpe, Charles Barkley, Robert Reid, Steve Francis, McGrady, Maxwell, John Lucas, and probably several other guys should all have their numbers retired before Mutumbo. And that's not a slight to Deke at all, love that guy.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It would be a nice gesture, but after reading what other people have written, it would be a major slight to others that played here. Clyde brought us our second championship when things weren't going well. He deserves it only for that. Calvin and Rudy T played 1770 regular season NBA games and every game was in a Rockets uniform. That deserves a jersey in the rafters. Moses and Hakeem don't need justification.

I personally don't think Yao deserves a retired number, but he's next in line if anyone is. Harden has an outside chance, but he's gotta come up with 4 W's in the NBA Finals or an MVP with a Finals appearance. Even if Harden did that, if he left and finished his prime years elsewhere, he'd get no love I'd imagine. Rafter numbers are a bigger deal than you might imagine, PJ.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nope. There have been players who have done more for this team that don't have their numbers retired.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Even Barkley despite his hatred for all things Rockets nowadays deserves to have his number in the rafters before Mutombo based on contributions to the team on the court. Beyond that, there is a plethora of players that should be up there before Mutombos...

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Has there ever been a number retired for a back-up player?

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You forgot Robert Horry.

But I'd even argue guys like Cuttino Mobley, Luis Scola and possibly even Chuck Hayes who were starters and played their best years in Houston should have their numbers retired before Mutumbo.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Might as well re-retire Jordan's 23 and JJ Watt's 99 if we're gonna pull that crap.

#11 dharocks, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The Blazers retired 7 players from their '77 championship team. 8 if you include HC Jack Ramsay

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deke was at the tail end of his career when he was with the Rockets.

Either Denver or Atlanta will retire his number

14. GIGO

GIGO Member

[​IMG]

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Rockets aren't the Astros. They won't retire Deke's #.

16. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Why isn't Elvin's # retired? Did he leave on bad terms?

Yao's # is next in line, regardless.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nope. If they didn't retire Ralph's number they shouldn't retire Yao's. At least Sampson got to a WCF and finals.

18. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Guess I have a different idea of retiring a player's number, similar to why some retired MJ I guess only he played for the Rockets! I thought Rockets fans were all in favour of this, moving on..

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Rockets fans just have an actual, realistic view of what it means to retire a player's number.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Franchise...