1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is a few minutes of another big too much to ask?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Aug 5, 2020.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

So we've been losing the rebounding battle hard since the Capela trade and almost lost two more games if it weren't for some great defense and clutch play. I get what we're trying to do, but at times when Milwaukee, Dallas and Portland have two legit 6'11 / 7 footers on the floor and we're fouling them to stop them from making lay-ups and give up rebound after rebound, is it really too much to ask for a Tyson Chandler or Carroll to come in for a minute and just take that advantage for them away?

It would be just 1 three point threat less in case of Tyson, but I think it's worth it given our talent level and potential for an alley-oop or offensive rebound. With Carroll you have another wing who can make the 3 and will give you size on the defensive glass. Once Luc is in shape, add him to this mix of bigs that could be used for a few minutes.

To me, there's no reason why a coach needs to be this stubborn and committed to his system, because it's to a fault at times. I remember Rudy T not being afraid to give some young big minutes or a wing when others weren't performing or he needed some size for a few minutes. I also remember Adelman giving Mutombo minutes or even other bigs who were totally unsuitable for his system, but he did it because he felt he needed to at times.

I'm not saying that's why we lost or that we need to give a big 5-10 minutes every single game, just that occasionally it wouldn't hurt. I know the times of enforcers are over, but tonight I would've liked to see a big just punish them a few times for trying to come into the paint uncontested.

2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Portland only got 13 second chance points last night. Houston got 4.

hakeem94, HP3 and D-rock like this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

That's a simplistic take, but okay. It's about much more than that.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes, you're asking too much of Mike.

They got rid of all their centers. (Tyson only here for "locker room veteran leadership")
    They're all in with their small balls.
    No, Mike D'Antoni will not change.

#4 J.R., Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    BigShasta, amaru and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Then spell it out.

Garner and foggy94 like this.
  6. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Ok, here's another one. Portland usually averages 43.7 points in the paint per 100. We kept them to 42.7 last night, which would be 2nd lowest in the NBA over a full season.

D-rock, HP3 and jch1911 like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

HP3 likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

we were tied with the ball in Harden’s hands with 1:30 to go.

having Clint Capela wouldn’t make Harden’s bricks go in.

pr0wler, fattz, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  9. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Lol anyone asking for Capela back must not remember how bad January to mid-February was... that was the ugliest the Rockets had played since the year McHale was fired. Not saying its Capela's "fault", but let's not act like he was really consistent or growing anymore as a player.

pr0wler likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You may very well ask.

He may not comply.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's the honeymoon phase and yes, Covington is 29 and not growing much either.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I just dropped a big two.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

The tweet was tongue in cheek. Sarcasm. :rolleyes:

BigShasta likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Holy cats, read the tweet closer.

It was sarcasm.

BigShasta likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

If the answer is a 37 yo Tyson Chandler, then the question sucks.

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'd argue that all his defensive abilities are being maximized on his team and he can hit a three, although streaky.

Capela, he had maximized his potential. Capela will likely become obsolete these next couple of years unless he adds a jumper to his game. The game of basketball is changing and a big needs to have more skills than just dunking and rebounding. He wasn't even good defensively since he had the lost the ability to go after small guards on the switch.

D-rock, daywalker02 and YOLO like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They missed out on getting rid of the Ego contract which is the biggest obstacle.

I do not think D is the biggest problem, it's the consistent 3rd option on Offense.

They are basically rotating that role and see who is hot in that next game.

And hope Ego becomes TJ Warren when he gets back.

18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol. I hate our fans. U beat too good big teams...all is good. U lose one game...sky is falling. What happens if u beat lakers. Like people judge the small ball after the season is over lol. Yall dumb fr

BigShasta, King1, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  19. JW86

JW86 Member

And again not a single serious reply or at least not one that contains any substance aside from dropping a tweet or a stat. Clutchfans at it again.

20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't really understand the "just a few minutes" thing. When and why would you want a couple minutes? If you think this team is better with a non shooting big on the floor, then why only a couple minutes? If you believe that, shouldn't we do it a lot more than "just a few minutes"? If you think the team is better without the big man on the floor, then why run it at all?

If you think it's situational based on some other factor, can you please explain that?

jiggyfly, D-rock, HP3 and 1 other person like this.