1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Game 2 Film Breakdown: What about those open 3s?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Aug 3, 2020.

1. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Hey all, here's my look at the Milwaukee game, discussing in detail how and why Milwaukee gave up so many open 3 pointers. I know this was much talked about last night, and it's a key part of what is usually the NBA's best defense (by far). But last night they played the Rockets all wrong, and I get into it here.

https://www.teaandrockets.com/post/bubble-science-game-2-breakdown

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets 5 out offense broke the #1 defense, simple as that.

Most teams lose their nerve and stop shooting 3's if not falling, not the Rockets.

And the Bucks do not often face 2 MVP level players who can get to the rim at will and create for their teammates.

Bucks stuck to core of their #1 defense, protect paint, first and foremost. And Rockets stuck to their own philosophy of shooting the open 3.

But it was not just open 3's that broke the Bucks, it was getting to and winning at FT line, it was generating an avalanche of turnovers.

If the Bucks went away from their defense and hedged the perimeter, Rockets would have killed them at the rim because both Beard and Brodie just need a crack of daylight.

Another factor that many are missing is that Rockets ran Bucks into the ground - Bucks were playing on tired legs by 4th and it showed in their 3P attempts, while the MVP Giannis only played 32 minutes in a very close game.

3. foggy94

foggy94 Member

The tovs were huge. And the Bucks did some ridiculous fouling late.

As I mentioned in the blog post though, why do you need Lopez on the strong side of the paint when he’s waiting at the rim for the drive? Why can’t he be on the weakside and rotate over? He’s one of the best rim protectors in the NBA, you can hop in and out and 2.9, you don’t need to automatically give up the strong side corner

D-rock, BHannes2BHonest and hakeem94 like this.
  4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

ESPN pointed out that Bucks are used to beating teams by over 10 (I think they lead the NBA in that this year). So they are not used to being in the position of closing out close games.

D-rock likes this.
  5. j@amc

j@amc Member

Your analysis is right. The Bucks seemed committed to the fool's errand of leaving shooters wide-open. Until the Rockets can win this kind of game running away, they'll keep seeing this look. But in the playoffs, I doubt they'll have these looks.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Going out on a limb and say that shooting percentages of all teams are going to go down in the Playoffs.

And numbers of possessions also.

I could see them average 15-23 steals per game but it's pretty tough.

DeBeards likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Coach Bud had actually schemed some pretty decent defense against the Rockets and Harden last year. I think he was doing that shade him to his right a bit, come with quasi-doubles, etc.

Last year of course didn't have Russ. The first game this year "barely" had Russ in the sense he was still injury recovering, and the fit wasn't there yet.

Interesting if Russ is the difference or Coach Bud just didn't really scheme anything....?

D-rock likes this.
  8. Handles

Handles Member

Bucks really missed Bledsoe. He was a big part of their defensive scheme at the point. Another quick guard like that can help them close out on the perimeter and also keep fresher legs for late game, when they were resorting to fouls.

I’m happy with the win but we’ll need to shoot better than that if we want to beat the bucks at full strength.

DeBeards likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

The Milwaukee Bucks are a very good basketball team.

Last year they were exposed somewhat in the post season.

Their coach is excellent but not great at making short term adjustments to what they do.

The Bucks were playing a regular season game, I am sure they will make adjustments if they play the Rockets in the Finals.... but I think you will see minimal changes really.

Lopez gets exhausted playing the Rockets style of game. Especially when they do not have the confidence they can stop either either Westbrook or Harden one on one........ Harden and Westbrook are also an incredibly physical back court..... as is Gordon when added to the mix.

DeBeards, pippendagimp and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

The difference was RoCo on perimeter instead of Clint in dunker spot.

The difference was switch everything defense.

The difference is team chemistry and buy in has improved.

DeBeards and ApacheWarrior like this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

as has been noted by some media, we got so many WIDE OPEN looks that game. same case for our first game this season vs MIL

if we get hot from 3 in any game against these guys, it's a blowout. also not sure if it was mostly zach zarba, but matthews was given carte blanche to handcheck harden all game a la dillon brooks. it seemed to really bother harden, he didn't seem nearly as decisive or aggressive looking for his own shot

they were missing bledoe, who has been able to break down our defense in the past. but likewise EGO being out led to middleton going crazy on offense. and westbrook definitely still looks to be recovering -- other than one mini alleyoop, haven't seen him dunk yet during this restart

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

This could be an adjustment for Bucks but, strong corner and weak corner changes depending on which Rocket guard gets the ball.

So the Bucks can completely deviate from their #1 defense or embrace it.

HP3 likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lopez in this instance would not be able to contest a Harden layup from weakside.

Harden is a lefty and would always go to far side of rim. No way Lopez could defend that as weakside help efficiently, Harden would cook him.

HP3 likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

agreed.
    7-game series in playoff make things different.