1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

*Change my mind* Beef with Giannis is best thing that happened to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmelo, Aug 3, 2020.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

Times and times again we saw how NBA narratives played a role with who Is preferred by the league to advance in playoffs. We all saw how Kings got robbed in 2002 because they didn't want finals with them. We saw them with Rockets getting between GSW and Cavs. We saw that with MVP... There has to be some narrative so fans will turn in. A lot of people are tired of Bron, Clippers look good but they are hardly entertaining. That leaves us with Bucks and Rockets.... Classic battle of the villains. Methodical newschool basketball with animal aggression from Russ and unorthodox bearded guy Harden beating all the records - on the other side we have this physical specimen "good guy" Giannis, from poor to Richies and all that bullshit.. IT needed a sparkle, Giannis initiated it, Harden went back at him and now media have noticed.

I see a lot of posts around the internet about Harden clamping Giannis, his 'next question' presser... now we have to wait for Giannis to open his mouth and we have the narrative to finals ready. People will actually want to see that and it benefits the Rockets. Matter of fact, that is exactly what was needed for that team, to create that hype wagon

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. The best thing that happened to the Rockets this year is getting Russell Westbrook.

but yeah sure newb

#2 tinman, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

Not like CP was trash, and we took best team ever to 7 but ok boomer

saleem likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who is 'we' troll?

crimsonghost likes this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

good question because out of 70 000 posts you sent not even 1/3 was liked by different rockets fans. but I get it you are old and you are right now go take your frustration out at the family dinner because I didn't come here to argue with middle aged men

Imanimal likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You, sir, are correct.

Imanimal, hakeem94 and bmelo like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll take whatever motivates Harden.

DreamShook, Scarface and bmelo like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

u can’t say a lot of people are tired of Bron when he’s still a league leader when it comes to ratings

the league will want a Lakers-Clippers match up in the WC playoffs

The main ones eating up this Giannis-Harden beef are Rockets fans. Is their evidence that this thing is captivating all these other fanbases? If we’re going with posts around the internet, it’s the Rockets who everybody loves to claim are boring because we spam threes and don’t have much ball movement while Harden makes the game “unwatchable.”

I’m not buying this at the moment

u can’t tell me if we played the Lakers in the playoffs, the league would prefer us to win because of Giannis-Harden beef.

9. bmelo

bmelo Member

No, what I meant is if we meet with Blazers or Denver then they will push us

10. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

What does the Blazers or Denver pushing us have to do with the Harden Giannis beef?

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

they would push us regardless because both of those teams are irrelevant...in the Blazers case, they’re irrelevant, and they also suck

the league would obviously rather see us advance than a Denver, Portland, Utah, OKC, etc, but that doesn’t mean they’d prefer Rockets vs Lakers or Rockets vs Clippers instead of Lakers vs Clippers if seeding dictated that those could be the potential WCF matchups...or that Giannis-Harden beef and a Rockets-Bucks finals would be at the top of their wishlist because it wouldn’t

Bron sells more than anything the Rockets have going on

JayGoogle and tinman like this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Because leage would prefer their rivalry than some boring ass Jokić throwing overhead passes once every 3 games

homewight likes this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Harden-Giannis beef is nothing. The media (Skip's show, SAS's show, etc) will react to the outcome of the games regardless. In fact, despite the game, I don't think I've seen or heard it brought up once.

The conversation is either about Westbrook or about how the Bucks stopped doing what was effective (Lopez going to work in the paint).

What I will say is, I don't think Harden has had a great game against Milwaukee in a while. That needs to change, if we do end up in the Finals against them.

D-rock likes this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Obviously I think the league (and greater public) rates possible matchups like this.

1. Lakers v Clippers: The league wants this bad. There will be suspect calls in a 2nd round series against the Lakers or Clippers, everyone knows this. Doesn't mean they can't be beat but...yeah.

2. Lebron v Giannis: For obvious reasons. There is 'beef' between these two since Giannis is claiming to take Lebron's throne. So this is a finals matchup the NBA would love to see.

3. Rockets v Bucks: I agree that this is something the league wouldn't mind. Does it want to see it? Not really, but it would be a good consolation prize.

4. Lakers v Celtics: This is a mandatory finals match up that we have to have every decade so why not get it out of the way? Only reason it's not #3 is because the Celtics don't really have star power. Tatum is a great player not really a star on the level Harden, Westbrook, Giannis are.

5. Clippers v Bucks: Kawhi vs Giannis. Not as hyped as Lebron vs Giannis because Kawhi isn't as popular as Lebron but it would be a fun matchup.

Bonus: Zion v Lebron in the first round. I mean, for obvious reasons, right? Zion has been the most hyped prospect since Lebron, may as well see them match up in the playoffs before Lebron is defeated by father time.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

refs out here handing Harden foul calls like you’ll rarely ever see with a superstar

NBA and the vast majority of casual fans don’t care about Giannis-Harden beef...expect a plethora of BS calls when we play the Lakers or Clippers...might even see it against the Mavs as well

jch1911 and D-rock like this.