1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Tilman Fertitta Q&A

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 6, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

SHUT UP AND READ!

On Morey/Hong Kong; Mike's job status(apparently now up to Morey); would write a check for a championship, "would never let a tax" keep me from winning a championship

Q. The topic of the Hong Kong tweet has come up again lately. The President brought it up. It came up on your CNBC interview. What would you want people to know about your position about that issue?

A. “The tweet was seven words. There was nothing wrong with the tweet. That’s why one hour later I told ESPN when I was asked ‘Are you going to get rid of Daryl Morey,’ I was like, ‘Are you crazy? Why would I get rid of Daryl for that tweet?’ I think Daryl’s one of the best general managers in the league. Plus, we truly enjoy working with each other. To this day, we plan on working with each other, and I expect Daryl to be here for years to come.”

Q. On the CNBC interview, you distinguished between speaking out on domestic and international issues. Why?

A. “What I meant was, and I thought I made it clear, that in America we can say whatever we want to say. We don’t have to worry about our government doing anything against us when we speak up. But we do have to worry if we’re somewhere else, about an authoritarian government penalizing us. And it could be penalizing you in many ways. I was 100 percent saying American citizens can speak out on our soil and nothing will happen to us. Not everybody has the same freedoms we have.”

Q. Back to basketball, as someone in the hospitality industry during a pandemic, will that affect decision making on the basketball side of your business?

A. “I don’t understand why people would think that. The Rockets operate totally separately. There’s nothing more important than winning a championship. If I could buy a championship, I would write out a check and do it. I’m never going to let a player or a tax keep me from winning a championship.”

Q. This is such an unprecedented season. How does that affect evaluations and decisions from Mike D’Antoni and the idea of playing without a center and the roster?

A. “We’re getting ready to play eight games and go into the playoffs. When we start those playoffs, it will be like any other season. We’re focused on what’s going on on the court. It doesn’t matter if there’s fans in the stands or not. There’s going to be an NBA champion. Twenty years from now, nobody’s going to know it was a shortened season. Just like I don’t know who was or wasn’t a champion when there were shortened seasons. I don’t see any asterisks. I know San Antonio has five rings and LeBron (James) has a few rings. I would be more than happy to win a championship this year.”

Q. And the evaluations in the off-season will be the same as after any other season?

A. “I think I have one of the NBA’s great coaches in Mike D’Antoni. And I think I have one of the best basketball ops groups, Daryl and his whole team. Personally, I love Mike. But I’m going to leave it up to the general manager. I surely would like to have Mike back. If Daryl wants to have Mike back, I’m sure Mike is going to be back.”

Q. The Rockets have been built and rebuilt around James Harden and Russell Westbrook. Are you still confident that they can lead this team to a championship?

A. “I don’t think I can have two better guys to try to lead us to a championship, and they deserve it for their legacy. I want them to win a championship for their legacy because they are two of the greatest players at what they do that have ever played the game. Nobody deserves a championship more than James Harden, Russell Westbrook, P.J. Tucker, Eric Gordon and Austin Rivers, guys like Robert Covington. They deserve a ring. We’re going to do everything in our power to make that happen.”

Q. There have been incredible ups and downs in the past few years. How have you liked being the owner of the Rockets?

A. “Owning a team in your hometown is the greatest gift a man and sports fan can get. What’s interesting is I love that they told me I’m the 35th-longest season-ticket holder of the Houston Rockets. I’ve had season tickets now for like 40 years. It feels really good, really good, but it’s not going to be great until we win a championship. And then, we win another championship. That’s why I said, if I could just write out a check to buy a championship, I would be the first person in line.”

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mr. Tillman how do you always look like a million bucks?

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

how much did he pay for this pr move?

4. stilldr34amin'

Reminds me of when someone takes a huge one page ad out for themselves in the high school yearbook...

Deuce, dreamshakin, napalm06 and 2 others like this.
  5. TilmanFinancialWindfall

My Tilman, do you remember saying Rockets are not a political organization?

mikol13, D-rock and J.R. like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

“The tweet was seven words. There was nothing wrong with the tweet." ... BUT I came out and immediately, publicly rebuked him.

gotsis, Deuce, JoeBarelyCares and 8 others like this.
  7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Tilman is a terrible liar. :oops:

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can we get better food at Kemah now ?

D-rock likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Well he is getting better at lying.

I would note that this time he didn’t say Daryl was the best GM in the league.

He also didn’t say that he was confident this Rockets team could win a championship.

The idea that Morey will decide whether MDA is back is hilarious... and no, Daryl doesn’t enjoy working with Mr. Shut Up and Listen.... neither does his group of assistants and associates.

Deuce, Jontro, mikol13 and 4 others like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Which sounds totally ludicrous.... Oh Mike, your future is totally up to Morey.

I would, however, welcome the idea of Morey being an interim coach.

#10 daywalker02, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Supposedly tillmans mega yacht in Galveston. Goddam pandemic probably had him downsize his mega mega yacht.

[​IMG]

BigShasta likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's turning into a Morey. Needs a show everyday.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I did not know Harris county was allowing professional softball to start up again!

Hope they wore masks

BigShasta and London'sBurning like this.
  14. KingCheetah

Lol, that's a boat.

15. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

It sounds like Morey will be our GM going forward. That’s good news.

16. donkeypunch

Yacht- A yacht is a sail or power vessel used for pleasure, cruising, or racing. There is no standard definition, so the term applies here to such vessels that have a cabin with amenities that accommodate overnight use

17. KingCheetah

It's a fancy shrimp boat Admiral Nimitz.

18. donkeypunch

Only skrimp on that boat are in cocktails.

19. KingCheetah

There is scrimp on everything Mr. Tillman owns.

Nook likes this.
  20. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Jerry Jones Would tell his geeves to place that in the spare bedroom closet until the kids want to play with it.

D-rock likes this.