1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

against den, nice to see them sharing the ball, even adding inside-out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Jan 23, 2020.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

a win over Nuggets definitely a timely one, though not deem as a big W.
    (after all short-handed nuggets couldn't suppose to be a problem for us)

we can see some of our improvement in this game, one of those is, our players on court try to share the ball a lot (start from harden), i.e. got more players involved within the 24sec offense, got everyone touched the ball and moved the ball well until finding better shot opportunities.
    during a couple of attacks, they even made use of low-post player to distribute the ball, old school inside-out, either to find open shot on the perimeter or to find teammate cutting in to attack the rim.

2 example as below

---------------------------

10:20 in 3rd Q, cc in the pain got the ball and passed to tucker, who was in right corner, the latter used a shot fake to shake barton and drove in the lane feeding cc a easy dunk

9:35 in 3rd Q, harden moved the ball up court and passed to low post (cc) who got the ball and fed russ driving to the basket for ferocious dunk

p.s. we got 17 turnovers in total, 5 on russ, 3 on the beard; nuggets got 12 steals; once nuggets pressured us for a steal, or tried to convert a defensive rebound into a fast break, our transition defense looks sloppy and ugly (the beard nearly walking back, don't know why)

#1 DeBeards, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The problem has been minimized but still there.

Third and fourth quarter, Nuggets were playing equally well.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

they were moving the ball, and taking much smarter shots

Harden’s shot selection was very high quality for the 1st in what seems like ages...he was making quick decisions

only 29 three point attempts as a team, but they made 13 of them...they didn’t come into the game with the sole mission of jacking up 45 or more threes by any means necessary

this was only 1 game, so we’ll see if this continues or they go right back to the BS next game

palmsnbananas, napalm06, smp and 12 others like this.
  4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

too much iso ball and easy victories, sometimes it did work, but sometimes not. 'iso ball' made them praying all 3s falling and opp would surrender (things not like that esp post-season); on the contrary, sharing ball and ball movement need more patience and more respect on every opp (no matter contenders or not)
    yes, those careless turnovers against den say a lot, they not get used to share the ball and be patient.

bj3175, hakeem94 and Lawlruschang like this.
  5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

I suppose they had had player only meeting, compared notes.
    communication did work. that's a good beginning and hope they keep up with it.

6. dawesome

dawesome Member

Isn't it interesting that they actually can play this way and MDA can couch different style? WB influence? Hope it lasts..

DeBeards and hakeem94 like this.
  7. dawesome

dawesome Member

Isn't it interesting that they actually can play this way and MDA can couch different style? WB influence? Hope it lasts..

8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

yeah, you just spill out, i feel the same.
    I don't know the change start from coaching team, or resulted from Player-Only-Meeting. I guess the former.

dawesome likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

I get the feeling MDA would be operating this offense somewhat differently if harden didn’t have the clout.

We will always ride or die by Harden. It was refreshing to see Harden being more decisive and making better decisions. On the other hand, the Nuggets are a favorable matchup for us.

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

You always look better when making shots. Defensively we were more engaged as well.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don’t buy that our strategy changed at all.

We played a depleted team who has historically given us a wide open runway to the lane to score. They continued to do that and we took advantage.

They began to double Harden with a non shooters defender taking away Harden’s ability to take the 3 as often as usual and when he passed out of the double it seemed to always be Westbrook or Thabo catching it wide open at the 3 point line. Thankfully they passed up the shots.

We had a huge lead and continued to bomb away at the 3 point line. The exact thing everyone was reaming our team for doing after the last game. But the shots went in.

HP3, D-rock, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

14. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Bigtime point this really does explain the problem with the team. It's not talent it's what your post says.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

then lets see what gonna happen on Jan 27 & 28 @utah @denver (back 2 back), 2 tough games.

even during Nov 5 - Nov 19, the span of a roaring 8-game win streak, I could not remember any beautiful ball movement like they executed in this game , cuz most of highlighting reels once stunned me are those on-n-on iso balls; I do believe, recent 4 loss in a row and harden's typical drought behind the arc (1/17 3s) made the whole team bloody frustrated, and brought up some serious discussion to find a way out.

merely half of this season past, wish it were not to late for them to rethink about game strategy.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The second half surge that other teams thrive off during their comeback wins against us was mitigated by hard drives to the basket with a purpose. Especially on behalf of Russ, he really impressed me this game on how much authority and purpose he had behind each drive. Whether he made a play for himself or someone else.

We'll have our ups/downs this season but I really don't find it necessary to make a knee jerk thread about either the wins or losses. Just take each game as the 82 game season rolls on.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

yeah, I saw Gary Clark's tweet, he highlighted the changes in numbers as an insider :)

definitely not a perfect game, but a nice one. it's worth to underline they won in a little different way.

#18 DeBeards, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Imagine Nuggets coaches game plan defense against Rockets prior, and then rude awakening of what we actually ran.

Mike Malone during the game be like #WTF?! :D

DeBeards, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets also finally receiving foul calls when driving to the basket. Going to the line makes a difference as that was a huge part of Rockets offensive efficiency.