1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] D'Antoni unlikely to return

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

MDA isn't a bad coach and deserved better treatment this Summer.

Tilman is a terrible owner and I anticipate he will replace MDA with a big name that makes us worse like Mark Jackson or Ty Lue.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[The Athletic] Water is wet.

4. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Cheaping out on your coach when you are in your championship window is just complete malpractice and even though we know Tillman is cheap, I still half heartedly hoped he would have SOME pragmatism in him to know you can spend a little now to make a lot later. This window will close soon and you can go to being a tanking team at the salary floor once Harden leaves/retires.

Honestly, you’re gonna let a coach walk over $1m when you have the greatest offensive player in the league in his prime? That’s not being cheap, that’s being a ****ing dumb decision maker. Although it’s also being cheap. I will say I wouldn’t be surprised if D’Antoni takes the lowball offer. He wants to retire soon and this is his last/best chance to win.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Perfectly fine by me. Raptors and Warriors both won rings after moving on from guys with clear ceilings as playoff coaches for up and coming coaches with more to offer.

We'll see if they make the right hire, though Tilman obviously makes me skeptical.

6. smp

smp Member

I don’t think this is about money. I think it’s about accomplishment. So far MDA hasn’t done much more than McHale did. Make it to the playoffs. Have some success. WCF exit.

There is a risk in letting him go because you could certainly do much worse than MDA. But like trading CP3, I think you move on and give another combination of players and coach a shot. I wouldn’t just keep running it back either. Hardens window is closing.

It’s definitely risky though. MDA is a good coach.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yea: you and I know Tilman isn't hiring some project. He's hiring a big name. JVG, Mark Jackson, Ty Lue types with big headlines.

lw17, da_juice and roslolian like this.
  8. foggy94

foggy94 Member

The Athletic definitely frames it as a money thing, and we saw the negotiations fizzle out over money in the summer. If it’s coming from Amick I believe it, he’s the most connected with our organisation.

If you support MDA being let go that’s one thing. But supporting him being let go just because Tilman is cheap is wrong.

Lastly, this is the latest example of our idiot owner not keeping his mouth shut and actively going out into the media and spewing off about how Mike will be here next season and he isn’t a lame duck. Now we know he is planning different.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

half of y’all want MDA gone anyways so I should see these same people giving Tilman props for this

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

When it comes to the NBA, he’s a dumbass that thinks he’s smarter than he is. It’s all about looking past shortsided moves. When you’re a slimy owner of a shitty restaurant chain known for skimping on everything not really a surprise doe

BigggReddd and D-rock like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

not surprised. I mean Tilman pushes and makes the decision to get guys like wesbrick. Of course he probably wants to bring in coaching guru's like Ty Lue or something along that line

HP3 likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

God damn, you guys fail to see....like how many times does this man have to maximize the talent of this roster before you guys start to get it. Jesus christ...I guess more playing time for Harty, Gary and Clark is gonna take us to the promise land. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

D-rock, saleem and FrontRunner like this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yeah. This is true. I take back what I said. We surely will not be going the smart route.

I guess I just don't agree that the roster has been "maximized".

D'Antoni put in a great system that maximized Harden, but everybody else? Nah. I don't see how you can say that. His limitations as a coach are put on display in the playoffs every year, and I think that is pretty obvious.

seeingred, lw17, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Best news in a while

Word is Harden was going to demand a trade if we didn't go after Westbrook

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Like Ty Lue is better than Dantoni, you would have to be stupid to believe that.

sirbaihu, D-rock, saleem and 3 others like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

When I heard Les was selling the rockets, I was really happy......until I found out who he was selling them to. Yikes.

#17 rockbox, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    CometsWin, Mazulis, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Man, how can you say that after we won 65 games and took the GOAT team to 7 and THEN taking that same team fully loaded to 6. And if you look at the stats, offense was not the problem that series. Like what limitations, what is David Joerger gonna take us to the promise land or something??? I donno, fine. I guess we'll find out when the time comes.

lw17 and D-rock like this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

you don't like having the wizard of oz as the owner?

he sells books at the team store!

he advertises books on the jumbotron.

SHUT UP AND LISTEN (to my audio book that I completely wrote myself with no help) - Tilman

BHannes2BHonest and darksoul35 like this.
  20. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

MDA is the best coach for Harden and for Morey's philosophy. What other coaches out there would completely buy into the math like MDA? We have completely bought into a style and system that our star player enjoys. He is putting up historical #'s under MDA. I don't know if he(Harden) would be happy under the direction of a coach who isn't as extreme when it comes to the margins. Harden has at least seemed to be very happy with MDA. If we let MDA walk, we better have a damn good replacement for the offensive side of the ball. He does not just roll the ball out there contrary to what many people believe. If we bring in a coach that doesn't mesh well with Harden or even Russ at this point, we may see Harden ask for an exit.

If losing MDA would mean potentially losing Harden,then it just isn't worth it. Extend this man before its too late, or we enter the dark ages sooner than we expected.