1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Who should start? House or McLemore?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Earnie Banks, Dec 6, 2019.

?

Who should start at SF?

Poll closed Dec 13, 2019.
  1. Danuel House

56 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Ben McLemore

56 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Earnie Banks

Earnie Banks Member

I was firmly on Team House, but new things to consider:

• McLemore's splits between bench/starter are drastic while House seems more consistent no matter if he is a starter or not.
    • Both work well on offense playing off of Westbrook and Harden
    • House seems to be the more reliable defender (havent looked at any stats on this comparison)
    • House has some longterm lingering injuries (like back pain) that could benefit from reduced more efficient minutes per game.
    • McLemore is currently on fire, and now may not be the time to demote him.
    • What works better when Gordon takes back the 6th man role?

The Rockets just put out a report that the plan is to have House starting again, but still curious what y'all would do? If they are both playing the way they did against the Raptors, who cares anyways?!

Y2JT, Lawlruschang, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If we are going to give Ben extensive minutes it needs to be next to Harden. House is the much better player and probably deserves to start but we are better with McLemore starting if McLemore is going to get minutes.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

House, but adjust the rotation to give McLemore more minutes with the starters (esp Harden). Limit minutes where he is playing with Westbrook but not Harden.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

House

Ben McLemore isn’t starting calibre, and if we can’t get an upgrade at the wing, then the best version of the Rockets will have House as a starter

People really think having McLemore as a starter is a long term solution?

about a week ago McLemore was certified sh*t according to most of CF...now he hits some shots in a few games and we’re talking about if he should be a starter...

House should come off the bench narratives keep arising not due to his own level of play, but because EG and McLemore can’t hit their wide open shots when coming off the bench

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

How about both

Sit Westbrook

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Bolding your statement above, what would you consider an upgrade? House is playing really well. He could be better defensively, but he is no slouch. For the money we are paying him, I find it hard to believe that there is a better player out there short of acquiring an all star.

Forgot to mention, I'm just talking realistic targets considering our cap situation and asset limitations.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

my point was just to illustrate that the only reason House shouldn’t be starting is if we somehow got an upgrade...that’s not likely, so he should be the starter, not coming off the bench to accommodate the likes of Ben McLemore

ElPigto likes this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

There is literally no player on a team controlled budget salary for the prime of his career that is better than House. He's EASILY our best asset not named Harden. We got so lucky to get House. I cannot believe he slipped through the cracks so much. He solved our previous hole at the 3 and now we face a potential hole at the 4/5 because PJ is playing way too many minutes.

da_juice, Highlyrated and jcmoon like this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Got it.

11. Earnie Banks

Earnie Banks Member

I think the idea is that the starting SF spot isnt necesarily the closing spot or an indication that you are better than everyone on the bench. EG, Ginobli, Lou Williams, Jamal Crawford were clearly starter quality. Its about fit, matchups, and maximization of output. Mclemore starting, could maximize him while not taking away from House, giving us a more output from both.

Totally agree, that this is only a discussion bc McLemore has been so bad off the bench. haha And also agree that House is the better player overall and and a far higher ceiling.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If Ben needs to start to keep his jumper moist, start him. House can play anywhere and more minutes. Just let Ben start for the threes.

Also when House subbed into the game, he and Bmac went off from 3. Green House effect turned into House Mac n Threes.

House running with the bench is an added benefit because his hustle and defense next to Russ' trash defense is good.

If Bmac came off the bench last night with his rusted as bench 3's, rockets would have lost. 8 threes is ridiculous.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Macklemore without a doubt. He's way better starting and he's much less effective coming off the bench. To me he starts, even over EGo when he gets back. He starts until he proves he's not gonna make it happen. He's filled in nicely this year. He's passing well, defending okay, shooting okay.. it's just working. Why stop it? For some fan's ego to be stroked about being right? **** all y'all like that. The team's more important than your overconfidence in your opinion.

He just carried us against the defending champs. That's the type of guy I want in there. House cowered in the playoffs against that kind of competition last year. To me, House has more to prove at this point than Macklemore.

ThaButcher and D-rock like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

This is tough, but McClemore plays better when starting. However, now that his confidence seems up, I would like to see what coming off the bench does for him. A bench of Gordon, McClemore, Tyson, Sefolosha, would be nice along side Harden/Russ. I truly don't understand why his starting/bench splits are so different.

It's amazing what our offense looks like when we move the ball instead of watching James ISO! Everybody is involved and doesn't have to wait to hit shots in the 4th qtr when they haven't seen the ball in 3 qtrs..

Highlyrated and Earnie Banks like this.
  16. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I voted Ben not because I think he is the better player but because he is a good fit with the starters and we need House's scoring and occasional driving abilities coming off the bench. Whichever one is having the better game finishes the game.

Earnie Banks likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Bench Ben is trash.

HP3 likes this.
  18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

McLemore, until he proves the starting numbers are a fluke. If he doesn't, then that's great for us because he shoots 40%+ as a starter from the 3, which is absurd.

In the mean time, use the excuse of "easing him back" to House so he doesn't get mad. Well, I doubt House will get pissed if you ask him to come off the bench, I don't see him as that type of dude with a huge ego.

coyotetex, D-rock, JW86 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Actually wouldn't mind this.

Harden / House / Benny Mac / Tucker / Capela
    WB / Rivers / Gordon / Chandler

WB PnR with Chandler with Rivers / Gordon / one of BM or DH or Tucker waiting to receive a pass is really good.

20. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

A better player? What does House's skill have to do with having more people on the roster that provides that skill? House plays 48 mins with guaranteed 0 injuries?