1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Russ look like a “square peg in a round hole” to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Nov 19, 2019.

?

Does Westbrook fit?

1. Yes

131 vote(s)
    78.0%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe I’m taking crazy pills, but coming off a knee surgery and playing with a host of busted fingers and an entirely new set of teammates, do you guys really think Westbrook looks as bad as the front page of Clutchfans continually suggests?

“A square peg in a round hole”

How many games did he win for us when Harden was playing absolutely dreadful to start the season? How many 4th quarters has he come up with big plays in spite of some recent shooting struggles? Offensive rebounds, steals, and ferocious rim attacks for clutch free throws.

He brings so many dimensions to the game that Harden does not, and they seem to compliment each other beautifully. He allows Harden to play his game (and not cross halfcourt 10 or so times a game), and Harden recognizes exactly when to let Russ be Russ. It looks like 4th Quarter WCF OKC, honestly.

I am so perplexed that someone can watch these games and not see the massive potential that we have this year on both ends. We haven’t even gotten started and we are #1 on Offense and #15 on Defense. In the words of Phil Jackson talking about Chuck Hayes, “give these guys some Effing credit!!!”

#1 RudyTBag, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I trust Russell Westbrook with the ball in his hands. He shoots when he should. He doesn't take long twos unless it's to get himself in rhythm. He passes with the intent to make others score. His passion is undeniable.

Yeah, his percentages aren't the best shooting from distance, but he does things that make us win. I just trust the guy even though I'm a little nervous with how fast he goes about things at times. His overall success is too much not to trust even if it feels weird or whatever. It's working. That's all that matters.

The chemistry is fan-farting-tastic.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think that is just people's bias against WB at play.

WB has been playing like a rich man's Austin Rivers, his impact isn't reflected in the box score. He is nowhere near "square peg in round hole" status as far as I am concerned.

4. 1Deep

1Deep Member

We desperately needed that DOG inside of Russ because Harden is so laid back.

I like the pairing so far.

It's not a perfect fit but it's not the square peg in a round hole thing either.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

As long as he and Harden are giving effort on defense + Russ hits a third of his threes, we'll be a top tier contender.

We have a lethal transition player and a lethal half court player and both of them can pass the ball. If Capela could hit the 3 I would see us as the favorites.

I have a feeling Russ will get better at 3's as the season progresses.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Considering how early it is in the season, i think Russ is settling in just fine. He gives our team something completely different; i love how he pushes the tempo. I'd like to see him get to the rim more. i'd like to see him cut to the basket more without the ball. His shooting is really bad. But it can only get better, and all of the other parts of his game have been in fine form. His rebounding alone has changed our dynamic. Despite our size we don't get out-rebounded the way we need last year. i'm excited to see how things gel as the season continues.

D-rock, FrontRunner, RudyTBag and 6 others like this.
  7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I was expecting the OKC Westbrick.
    I’ll take the current version on this squad 8 days a week.
    As long as we don’t t ask him to carry the load he will be the perfect fit.
    Only complaint is he needs to limit his bone headed fouls.

cml750, RudyTBag, jcmoon and 3 others like this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Contested 17 footers by a bad shooter will never, ever be a good shot, and he needs to stop shooting so damn many of them. It's so f**king aggravating watching him shoot them.

The 3's are fine. He'll be at least near 30% by years end, which isn't good, but it's tolerable. If he's got an itchy trigger finger then shoot a 3, otherwise get much closer so the shot is actually easier.

jcmoon, pr0wler and HP3 like this.
  9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Yep, Russ hasn't even played with the team for a month yet they are 10-3 are tempo is phenomenal and Russ just dropped a triple double

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Square Peg was Chris Paul, especially last year, injured, playing slow half court offense, can't run past his own defender.

11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

In years past we had a tendency to go on cold streaks especially in the third quarter where we just slow the game down and brick jumpers over and over till someone can hit one again. I think the best thing Russ brings to the table is the energy with which he sprints down the court with the ball to create easy transition baskets in the moments where we mightve otherwise bogged down. If he can just stop taking mid range jumpers and stupid post fade aways I'd say it's an almost perfect fit.

12. MystikArkitect

Harden and Chris were a methodical pairing that would eventually figure you out amd exploit your weaknesses.

Harden and Russ dont give AF because it doesn't matter what your weakness is.

13. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Russ has fat balls and is not afraid of the moment.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sitting out the Wolves was a boon for Russ against Dame and Co. He had the legs to shoot his threes with more confidence and he got to the basket with great ease.

He is a work in progress, but I’m encouraged that Harden and he are working together. They are starting to look like a dangerous offensive pair.

D-rock, cml750, FrontRunner and 5 others like this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yes but some of the the square features he brings are things we’ve never had as a round team.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In the playoffs they will double Harden and leave Westbrook wide open.

History suggests that will not be good.

DD

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Your point is valid, but we are improving.

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

Too early to make judgement, but his shooting, turnover and defense are concerns. He still has not able to get second unit going yet, will have to wait till EG comes back to evaluate.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think he is deliberately taking those mid-range shots earlier in the game to get himself in a shooting rhythm and also to open up the drives in the 4th quarter.

vlaurelio, saleem and jcmoon like this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

[​IMG]