1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Filling out the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DustinS, Jul 14, 2019.

1. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

There are still holes that exists and players available that could contribute significantly.

I would like to see the Rockets add a solid spot up shooter and a defensive minded rebounding big man. The team is also lacking the prototypical “3&D” wing unless you consider that to be PJ, who typically spends more time as a big man.

Some of the names I would like to see the Rockets look into are Kyle Korver, Andre Iguoudala, Jonas Jerebko, and Jamal Crawford.

2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Every team will have holes because of a salary cap

It's where those holes are that make a difference. On paper, for us, it's OK to be thinner on big men because our coach has a philosophy that prioritizes small ball and in his perfect world we would have 5 guards on the court at the same time.

It'd be nice to get a tall lanky 3 and D guy though. But yeah. every team will have a hole somewhere.

Highlyrated and roslolian like this.
  3. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

2019 Rockets

C: Clint Capela

PF: Pj Tucker

SF: Danuel House

SG: James Harden

PG: Russell Westbrook

6th: Eric Gordon

7th:

8th: Austin Rivers

9th: Tyson Chandler

10th: Gerald Green

11th: Anthony Bennett

12th: Gary Clark

13th: Isaiah Hartenstein

14th: Chris Chiozza

15th: Micheal Frazier

Look like only a spot for a traded spot. No room for Min guys.

Mazulis, IBTL and Highlyrated like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Has Gary Clark looked decent in the summer league?

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yes he has. He was working on his perimeter defense, 3point shooting and beating people off the dribble from the perimeter.

vince, joshuaao, Smacktle and 8 others like this.
  6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As it sits, we've got the following as a depth chart:

Capela / Chandler / Harty
    PJ / ??? / Clark
    Harden / House
    Gordon / G. Green
    Westbrook / Rivers

Plus guys like D. Davis, Michael Frazier, Trevon Duval, etc. Anthony Bennett.

The Rockets have two material ways to improve the team at this point (short of the buyout market midseason) - 1.) using the trade rules to add another ~$6+ M player into the Westbrook deal and 2.) Somehow getting an asset out of Shumpert (and heck, maybe even keeping him).

I'd like to see them add a legit 3/4, and then maybe one more 4 who can slide up to 5. If Bennett or Clark emerges (and or House takes another step), it would do wonders for our team.

On the trade front, a Covington or Crowder would be a very nice fit for this roster.

Of the remaining free agents - I would go after Justin Holiday the most. He's a plus defender, but a streak shooter.

It's worth kicking the tires on Korver (more shooting?), Livingston, Jonas Jererbko and Sefolosha if you think there's anything left in the tank. Even Lance Stephenson could actually fill a roll as a wing with experience.

If you want to take a flier on a guy, Dragan Bender is an interesting fit as a reclamation project - he made 118 3s on 37% shooting in 2017-2018, then took a step back.

Williamson, Nook, joshuaao and 10 others like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

He shot like ass against total rookies lol. Clemens the only one worth keeping in that group imo the Rox would be better of getting guys from other teams like Chris Boucher or Mfiondu Kengebele. With Hartenstein sidelined and Benett already on the roster Rox should sign one or both these guys to fill out the roster.

robbie380 likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

IMO the Rox are already complete, a guy like Covington is over qualified and wouldnt be happy competing with House as the 4rth wing in the rotation.

WB/Rivers/Clemens
    Harden/Rivers/House
    EG/House/Rivers
    Tucker/Benett/Hartenstein
    Capela/Chandler/Hartenstein/DD

The only hole I see is in case of injuries and if Benett turns out to be a bust as a vet min signing. In this case we should sign some more standouts in GLeague and SL for backups. The more you sign the more chances of winning, if we sign like 3-4 dudes maybe one of them turns into another Danuel House for us.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I’m all in!

10. Parley

Parley Member

11. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

How do we get Mfiondu? Guy was a 1st rounder.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ah really? Lol I didnt know I just thought he played great hitting 3s despite being a center.

13. Le$$

Le$$ Member

That bench thou man. Why alot of people have the rockets as still 4th in west. I just do not know about that bench, that why you would almost let Westbrook come off the bench while harden sits, just to be safe lol. Bennett is not going to go far in the nba again, once he gets around some real competition .. Well will see.

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Gary is not a summer league pick-up kind of player. His intangible skill set is best with HOF playmaking. We saw it last year as a rookie.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Really wanted Jamychal. Damn LA and that lifestyle

dkim1984 likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I’d say keep Hartenstein, Clark, Chiozza, then sign Clemons to a 3 year deal with the remaining TP MLE.

Harden
    Westbrook
    Capela
    Gordon
    Tucker
    House
    Chandler
    Rivers
    Green
    Hartenstein
    Clark
    Chiozza
    Clemons

Waive Davis and Frazier

Leaves us with two roster spots, and two 2-way contracts available.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Give me one or two more depth guys, probably wouldn't play guys.

Jerryd Bayless
    Trey Burke
    Jerian Grant
    Shaun Livingston
    Shelvin Mack
    Frank Mason III

Reggie Bullock
    Ian Clark
    Jamal Crawford
    Devin Harris
    Justin Holiday
    Jodie Meeks
    Jonathon Simmons

Vince Carter
    Kyle Korver
    Quincy Pondexter
    Thabo Sefolosha
    Iman Shumpert
    Lance Stephenson

Dante Cunningham
    Cheick Diallo
    Jonas Jerebko
    Lance Thomas

Kenneth Faried
    Amir Johnson
    Kosta Koufos
    Greg Monroe
    Joakim Noah
    Jason Smith
    Tyler Zeller

luckyman76, D-rock and raining threes like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

He shot 29% from 3 and averaged 2.9 ppg with HOF playmaking. I don't know what you saw exactly lol

Der Rabbi likes this.
  19. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

The guys I think we’d want as fits on this offense would have to have great catch and shoot numbers and decent dws. If you use cut offs of 1.5 catch and shoot 3s made at 36% it leaves a list of pretty decent wing options. Of note there aren’t like any guys in the league who hit more than 3 catch and shoots a game let alone 4s who do it on a consistent basis.

Wings that are potentially gettable include

Roco
    crabbe
    Miles
    Darius Miller
    Crowder
    Holiday
    Opj

4s included in last 4 years
    Love
    Mirotic
    Anderson
    Martian

The only guys on that list with near elite d or a dws nearing .1 is roco.

Rico is definitively elite and vastly underpaid. There is no doubt in my mind he is one of the best assets in the league and if minny doesn’t keep him they’re using him for dlo. If we offer the farm and a bunch of picks I would do it in a heartbeat. The kid is the most elite 3 and d prospect out there. If he is not gettable. I think the next targets have to be crabbe(this kid is one of the most elite shooting threats. Check out his stats) crowder/miller(bring them in with Westbrook’s trade but I doubt nop let him walk. He’s got the makings of a stud 3 and d guy) and Martian

Holiday should be brought in with the rest of the mle. He’s shown enough to at least be a bench option with his shooting. If you cannot get Roco the team should be

Wb/rivers
    Harden/Gordon
    Crabbe/crowder or Miller/House
    Tucker/Martian
    Carpal/chandler

The benefit to going after expirings like crabbe/Martian/crowder is they are cheap. Cost less draft capital and we can retain them with birds rights while using mles next year on 4/5 position.

Also Gordon is damn elite at catch and shoot. There’s no difference between him and klay. We severely underrate him on this board.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

What are you talking about Rivers and House are better than the starters on some other teams. Just look at other teams' rosters before you complain Lakers for example never mind the bench they don't even have a starting 5 just 3 forwards and a center. Clippers have a great starting 5 but after Lou Will and Harrell their bench is just rookies and unknown guys like Sindarius Thornwell. You don't have a team that is great top to bottom it's not possible with the salary cap in place everybody will have a hole somewhere.

Hakeemtheking, Gray_Jay and D-rock like this.