1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What type of team would you build

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jul 14, 2019.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

If you were building your own team would you make a team with good defense and little offense or good offense and little defense?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

i'd start all guards and maybe one athletic freak pf for the center position. absolutely no defense, all speedy offense.

then have battier coach because he talks good.

BigMaloe, Yung-T and da_juice like this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

You'd obviously need a good balance, but imo, good offense and bad defense >>> good defense and bad offense.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Clippers and late Raptors were about balance.

Also GSW was 60% O and 40% D.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you can't build a team by deciding how you want to play. you build around your star to complement how they play.

BigMaloe and D-rock like this.
  6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

What type of team? I would build a winning team! :cool:

One that would have a GOAT Hall of Fame Center and a sadly overlooked, well deserving Hall of Fame type Coach!!

Let them do whatever the bell they want to do to win the chip, and at the end of the season, watch them ride on Firetrucks through Main Street!

Wash,Rinse,Repeat!!!

Go Rockets !!!

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would find a Morey robot and program him to draft well, draft oversized players.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

4 guys who are +6'9 shot creating rebounding uber run jump athletes with wingspans over 7'2 that run coast to coast with hair on fire and shoot +35% beyond the arc.

And James Harden.

Yung-T, plutoblue11 and Jontro like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Basically 1 (2) Kawhis 1 Durant 2 Lebrons........I agree. One Kawhi only for Defensive purposes.

I add Michael Jordan and Dennis Rodman to the mix plus Wilt Chamberlain.

Stephanie Curry and Billups/Rip Hamilton/Sheed off the bench for me.

#9 daywalker02, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If there was a highly efficient big man who could play great post defense and average on the perimeter, yet good rebounder, fairly athletic. Or, an explosive scoring guard, I'd consider adding, because the above is an almost idealistic, possibly idyllic situation.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

One without Tilman as owner. Or Harden or westbrook as your stars.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Raptors did it, except it was Lowry surrounded by the length. One of those lengthy athletes was Kawhi.

Not just starters, but bench full of these players.

13. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Nicee, what started as a closed ended question led to this large interpretation of what everyone's ideal championship team's blueprint.

Honestly, when you have a good offensive team that plays little defense I think its easier to get them to buy into playing better team defense in order to win more (in this age of the NBA).

When you have a good defensive team that doesn't score much it's harder to change those same players into scoring more if they didn't already have that ability already.

Ultimately I think to position your team to win a championship, there needs to be a balance (as everyone previous has mentioned ) between offensive production and defensive pressure. Whatever the play style ends up being, the players have to buy into the coach's philosophy otherwise it won't matter what the vision was.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

In today's NBA, I would not be able to build a team, really. To be competitive, you have to have an elite star. But the elite star has to be placated, so it doesn't matter what an owner or GM would like in terms of style.

Maybe the question should be: "If you were an NBA elite star, what kind of players/buddies would you want around you to win a title, or perhaps would you just be painting butts?"

plutoblue11 and Invisible Fan like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

pauebtg and plutoblue11 like this.
  16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Give me offense and bad D.

The best defenses in the world can only slow down some of today's offenses, but if you cant score your toast because you dont have the ability to keep up.

17. Invisible Fan

If the clippers completely gel this year, it'll be potentially scary to see how strong their D will be.

They'll have 82 games to unlock Paul George w/ the rest of the team.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Yeah, but no matter how great their defense is it will be how balanced they are because they will have a good offense as well.

19. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Tisk tisk tisk. You'll learn your lesson before this upcoming season is over. Tilman I agree about though.

20. Invisible Fan

Them potentially adding Iggy will make them a small ball killer in the playoffs. Like a Death Death Lineup™️ of sorts.