1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shumpert : what is he worth and why the hell did we trade for him ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jun 17, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

My question is the title .

Do we even want him back ? Was last year abnormally bad because he was hurt ? Is he always hurt ? Is he good if he's healthy?

I'd like to keep the guy because if you let him go you lose the ability to trade his salary later , the idea being you throw in other assets along with him to get a better player .

But we would be in that situation + a first rounder if we just kept knight ... what were we thinking ? Did we really think shumpert was going to help us last year ? Was it unlucky that he got hurt as soon as he got here or is that our medical staff's fault ...

Here's the real question . Was he already hurt and we didn't care because the move got us under the tax ?

The role we were hoping he could play ... was already being played by James ennis . We gave him up for nothing .

Our best hope with him is to have him sign a 1 year guaranteed deal for whatever amount so that he can be used in trades . But he has to want that . If another team offers him more "stability" would he take that ?

We are already picking at Morey and tilman and Paul for that situation .... let's dish out a little hate for the shumpert move too ... or hey , someone can tell me the good that can still come out of it and how Shumpert will have an amazing comeback year for us at 3mil per year for 3 years lol

Highlyrated and Corrosion like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

To duck the tax. That's why we traded for him. Secondary reason, IIRC either MDA or Morey liked him.

DrNuegebauer, JuNx, maw7079 and 3 others like this.
  3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

They traded for him first for tax savings. But they also envisioned him helping more than he did. He just didn't have the impact some thought he would.

luckyman76, JuNx, maw7079 and 13 others like this.
  4. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Another case of getting someone and hoping they turn out big - Shumpert, Ennis, MCW

JuNx, ak99999, PeterKingX and 3 others like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Veteran's minimum; Luxury Tax Savings

Zboy likes this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

He is worth 4 million a year, but have to pay him 1year 9 million, then trade him to get a nice guy.
    He is lucky,

#6 BigBum, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Gorilladunks and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Just have to laugh at anyone who was actually expecting shumpert to have any real on court impact

The best thing we can do at this point is to resign him to match salaries in a trade

RocketOrg and CriscoKidd like this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Man . I wonder what the split was on the helping vs LTS in terms of choosing that deal.

Part of me thinks there were better deals in terms of helping but didn't get us under the tax .

Tilman so vociferously defends he will pay the tax , it makes me think it's a mask for not wanting to haha . Then you have the whole mess of Memphis and Miami apparently screwing us . Idk if I believe that .

I'm not looking back kindly on this last deadline . We thought we were gonna be close , and we were . A marginal upgrade off the bench could have provided a spark that could tip the balance in a close game .

Then you have knights contract not available to trade , limiting the options we have to bring in talent without losing a key piece .

I think if we can't make a big upgrade this summer . The knight trade , along with the preceding Anderson trade and contract (which in essence is what we are paying for) will be the reasons why .

Seeing this is kinda like watching a MLB team try to make that final push but they have a **** farm system so they can't trade for good players . We have a tough time sweeting deals because we don't have any good rookie scale contract players we've been developing AND we constantly trade away our picks .

Highlyrated likes this.
  9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Agreed - but thought he showed well in the playoffs.

His salary slot is also important for a capped team

CriscoKidd likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

The funny thing is he was a significant reason why the rockets won 2 games straight vs gs. Outside of rivers, he was clearly the rockets best bench piece

Williamson likes this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The only positive I can think of is like @BigBum said . We have to use him in a trade . On paper a team will be willing to take back shumpert on a 1 yr guarantee to get out of a "bad" contract .

Problem is , shumpert has to agree . So the initial money has to be high enough .

Next problem is , how many teams are in this situation where moving a good player on a bad deal makes sense ? Shumpert isn't a good player . If you trade for him , you are doing it solely because you want to get out of someone else's contract .

Would we trade CP3 for shumpert on a 40mil dollar 1 year deal ? No we likely value going for the title more than getting out of CP3's contract a couple of years early .

I'm not sure if there are limits to how high we can go for shumpert .

So given the situation ... I think if we want anyone good and not on a horrendous contract we are going to have to throw in picks .

Now if a trade doesn't happen very soon into FA , Shumpert is going to get offers . Is he going to trust that we will find a deal or pay him regardless and try to trade him at the deadline ?

Too many ifs IMO

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think no one is going to offer him more than 4/5M per year or a multi year contract anyway at this point so, i can see the Rockets resign him for more money to a team friendly contract in order to have salary to use in a trade later (although it would be a risky move cause there's no guarantee you can move him later, and if that doesn't happen, assuming they'll be in tax territory, they'll would end up paying a ton of money for nothing), otherwise i think he's gone, cause he's a guy who won a championship few years ago and still has the reputation of being a solid defender, that alone makes me think he'll get more than the vet minimum by some team.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He was as good as the Joe Johnson signing. Maybe better.

jboslett likes this.
  14. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

If iman ****ing shumpert was one of our best bench players it really begs the question why didnt we resign ariza and why didnt we use the mle if mr tilmen is so willing to pay the luxury tax ?

TheFreak likes this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If I’m not mistaken, we hold his bird rights and can sign him over the cap. I would definitely get used to him being here. 28 year old with a decent 3 point shot, good defensive ability, and a bulldog body frame. Will have an offseason to gel to boot.

He fills the vacated 4th guard/tweener 2-3 spot nicely imo. Bring in a bigger forward on the MLE like Wilson Chandler, develop Clark and Hartenstein. Get lucky and resign House, frankly that’s a strong 10 man rotation.

joshuaao and snowconeman22 like this.
  16. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I just want to clarify...

This was a 1000% Mauri’s Idea

smarkles and Highlyrated like this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I like your optimism . But I think , at the very least , in your scenario .... Wilson chandler is done . It's gonna be hard to find a really solid player for that 5.7 .

Rivers is probably worth 8-9 at least so that sets the comparison .

I think we will keep him as well because I think TF is determined to pay the tax this year to show how great he is .

But if he gets offered 4-5 per AND multiple years and it's on us to pay him 15 and hope we can trade him ... I can see us saying no .

It sounds like you think he is eventually going to work out here tho . I hope you are right .

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I hated that trade, but he’s a slightly better player than he showed for us last year. He really should have been better than he was, although probably not by much. Having said that, he’s a legitimate NBA player and is shockingly still only 28 years old, so I’m sure someone will offer him a couple years. If he’s cheap enough, I’m sure it will be the Rockets.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And the fact that he we have his rights, to aggregate future trades I’d imagine. Verrrrrry nice salary chip to have going forward.

20. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

You are clarifying ? Who are you the clowntown insider ?

When has morey EVER sacrificed assets to cut costs ?

snowconeman22 likes this.