1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

House of Houston: Houston Rockets: Team needs to priortize adding a starting small forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, May 25, 2019.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Houston Rockets: Team needs to priortize adding a starting small forward

by Princegodwin Onyia 3 hours ago

The Houston Rockets don’t have much tweaking to do this offseason but adding a starting small forward needs to be a priority. Whom? Why? Let’s examine.
    Very similarly to last year, the Houston Rockets had an impressive regular season but were eventually kicked out by the Golden State Warriors.

Comparable to last year, the Houston Rockets put up a good fight against the Warriors, as each game was decided by six points or less.
    The biggest issue with the Houston Rockets during that series was rebounding. But the good news was that through Games 1-5 of their playoff series with the Warriors, the team incrementally got better with it.

The rebounding issue in that series stemmed from two things. The first and more predominant issue was that Clint Capela did not own the paint like he is known to do.

Furthermore, the next issue was that Eric Gordon, currently the Houston Rockets starting small forward, only averaged about 2.5 rebounds per game. This was both in the regular season and during the playoff series with the Warriors.

With Capela being the only member of the starting lineup taller than 6-foot-6, it is key that the small forward contributes on the glass.
    Additionally, with Gordon being 6-foot-4 and the average starting small forward being around 6-foot-6 to 6-foot-10, it is understandable that Gordon does not have robust rebounding numbers.

Which leads to my point. The Houston Rockets biggest need this offseason is to acquire a new starting small forward, to allow Gordon to return to his role as the 6th man.

This one move would vastly improve the Houston Rockets roster as Gordon would fortify their currently erratic bench and a new small forward would help the Rockets both on the glass and in terms of depth.

There are realistic options in free agency like Danny Green, Marcus Morris, Rudy Gay, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Trevor Ariza. Additionally, the team may be able to swing a trade for Nicolas Batum, C.J. Miles, and DeMarre Carroll.

Seeing that Harden’s super max contract kicks in next year, the Rockets will definitely be over the salary cap, which makes acquiring starting players quite tough.

However, the team has general manager Daryl Morey in the fray. He’s well-respected around the league and is arguably the best executive in the Association in terms of adding key players with limited cap space and assets.

The Rockets have a really good team but if they expect to win a championship they must continue to get better.

https://houseofhouston.com/2019/05/...ny-green-team-priortize-adding-small-forward/

2. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

We should look at James Ennis he did well for the 6ers

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Sick of 3 and D players... Get somebody who's athletic and can get off their own shot... Go get Oubre or TJ Warren...

mastan, hakeem94, Theking and 8 others like this.
  4. ilias

ilias Member

Lots of good SF/PFs that we will not be able to afford. Maybe one of Marcus Morris, Thaddeus Young, Jeff Green, Jamychal Green, Bobby Portis takes the TMLE. Not very likely though. Maybe Jeff Green, the rest will get more attention. Would Ariza be happy with 3y/17m? Worth a shot.

saleem likes this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

Please no Ariza, we definitely need a SF and a PF and I don’t mind if they cost us Capela, Gordon and Nene if MDA is still here.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The Rockets need a starting quality 3 ?

Water is wet.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

“Team with no assets or cap space needs to add starting player at most valuable position”

Sounds great!

ilias and saleem like this.
  8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

someone get ennis on the phone /morey

J Sizzle likes this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

House is a cost effective answer. With consistent play he more than likely won’t fade-away in the playoffs.

hakeem94 and ak99999 like this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The wing players were waaay too freakin small this year. We need bigger wings.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I'm happy with Harden/Tucker combo at forward. They both have good strength and speed. Harden is an excellent rebounder, which compliments Tucker well.

The 3rd wing needs to be able to guard quicker/faster guys that are 6'6 and up. House needs to develop a lot before claiming that spot.

Since Paul must start (I guess), I prefer Gordon going back to being the primary backup off the bench. We're too small with Gordon starting and Rivers as backup. Rivers played well but if we have to give him a lot of the MLE, it's pointless. We have other holes and few upgrade tools (thanks Tilman). As I see it:

Capela/Hartenstein
    Tucker/Clark >> we're set here
    Harden/House >> we're set here
    Someone/Gordon/Green for good luck
    Paul/Gordon >> we have no choice so we're set here

That "someone" needs to be able to score and defend. Our C needs to be able to hit a 3. The most ideal scenario is we trade Capela for a legit SG. Then use the MLE on finding a C who can shoot.

12. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

The only way to properly achieve this is sign a centre for MLE and trade Capela for a sf/pf.

There’s a very low chance of getting a proper forward with size and shooting for the MLE.

Centres are much cheaper

hakeem94 and saleem like this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

These kinds if whiney threads imply that the Rockets didn't try to add long size and shooting last off-season.

They tried, but it didn't work, and then they spent the season digging out of the mess they found themselves in
    6'8 Melo and 6'7 Ennis were rotation pieces signed last summer. Total fail. But in theory Melo was that big body 3/4 who could grab a rebound and stick the triple. Turns out he preferred dribbling into long 2s

House was a find. Hopefully he can be everything Melo wasn't next year. But I am scared of his basketball IQ and willingness to play a role. Really hope it works!!

EGo's stock is as high as it will get. Too many little guys. Need to move him for a 2-way forward (Jimmy Butler?)

14. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

This sounds familiar....

Clippers looking for an answer at small forward ... again

By Broderick Turner
    Oct 24, 2016

Chris Paul is cognizant of the difficulties the Clippers have endured over the years trying to solidify the small-forward position.

"It's been a revolving door," Paul said.

And essentially the same vortex will swirl around three players who hope they can secure the starting small-forward spot this season.

Luc Mbah a Moute, the incumbent at small forward who re-signed this summer; Wesley Johnson, the backup who also re-signed, and Alan Anderson, the newcomer, are all competing for the job. But none of them has heard much from Clippers Coach Doc Rivers about who will get the big minutes at that position.

"I came here last season and I wasn't supposed to even be on the team," Mbah a Moute said. "So [Rivers] doesn't have to tell me much. I just stay ready."

"He hasn't said anything," Johnson said. "But I don't think anyone of us is worried about it."

“I’ve played this game a long time. You ain’t got to talk to me about nothing,” Anderson, an eight-year NBA veteran, said. “I’m going to be ready.”

One will be happy because he'll be the starter. One will be content because he'll be the backup and one will have his patience tested because he'll be third string and his playing time could be sporadic.

When Rivers was asked Monday about the starter for Thursday night's regular-season opener at Portland, he wasn't forthcoming.

"I'm not thinking about it right now," he said. "I don't care. You'll see."

But if the exhibition season was any indication, it appeared as if Mbah a Moute had the edge on maintaining the starting role he won last season when he started in 61 of the 75 games he played.

The 6-foot-8 forward started in four of the five exhibition games he played in, averaging 19.6 minutes per game and 5.4 points. He shot 60% from the field, but just 25% [one for four] on three-pointers, his shortcoming over his eight-year career in which he has made only 30.2% of his threes.

But Mbah a Moute, who missed two days of practice last week with a bruised right knee, knows his strength.

"When you look at most of the guys that end up playing that position and you look at the makeup of our team, it's more of a defensive position," he said. "For me, it's my ability to guard multiple positions at a high level. I think it's the most valuable thing at that position."

Johnson didn't start in any exhibition games. That was his role as the first small forward off the bench last season for the Clippers when he started in only nine of the 80 games he played in.

He's more known for his maddening inconsistent play than anything else. In the preseason, Johnson averaged 5.3 points and shot 37.5% from the field and 33.3% from three-point range and that was in line with his history.

"I guess we'll see how it plays out over this week," Johnson said. "Whatever they want, however they want to do it, that's how it'll be done. Last year they were throwing different people in there throughout the whole year."

Anderson, who still has left ankle issues, started once in the five exhibition games he played in. He averaged 5.4 points and made 66.7% [four of six] of his three-pointers.

"We all bring different parts of the game," Anderson said. "I think I can shoot it, take it off the dribble, make the extra pass, make a play, guard, rebound. I don't know if he's [Rivers] had a guy that can do all of them. But like I said, when my time is called, I'll be ready."

Last season, the Clippers tried Mbah a Moute, Paul Pierce, Lance Stephenson, Jeff Green and Johnson at the position. During the 2014-15 season, it was Barnes, Reggie Bullock, Jordan Hamilton, Dahntay Jones and Hedo Turkoglu. And in the 2013-14 season, it was Matt Barnes, Jared Dudley, Bullock, Danny Green and Stephen Jackson.

Now the Clippers are again trying to fill their black hole at small forward.

"On one night, it may be one guy," Rivers said. "On one might it may be another guy. Or it may be the same guy. We'll see."

@BA_Turner

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-clippers-20161024-snap-story.html

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ding, ding. That's why I want Javale with the MLE.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

On what planet has that guy consistently contributed anything in the last 2-3 years … Other than to Shaqtin a Fool ?

I'm not totally against moving Capela if it can net you a big upgrade at the 3/4 spot …. but McGee aint the answer as his replacement. I don't have an alternative in mind .… but a BIG NO to McGee.

Funny thing - I just typed "Shaqt" into the search bar and the second thing autofill had on the list was …. Shaqtin a fool JaVale McGee , right under Shaqtin a fool.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has improved since those days. He brought value to the Warriors and even the Lakers at times. Yes, he doesn't have a high IQ, but he can give you 70 percent of what Capela gives you in the paint with greater physicality at a low cost. I wouldn't mind Dedmon either for the MLE or a part of it.

BaselineFade and daywalker02 like this.
  18. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

Capela needs to go he is unplayable vs GSW and we can find a lob catching 7 footer for the MLE. Filling the forward spots with minimum guys or MLE won’t do the trick. We have to be very lucky to get a forward with size defence and a 3 point shot for the MLE.

Who cares if Capela is young he can’t improve much. When Harden is done he will be a non factor anyway you can’t build around a centre with no skill. If we want to win a chip we need to move him.

EG off the bench when we have a proper SF would be insane. We could still go small when needed and insert Gordon in crunch time. It would also bring stability in scoring off the bench Cp3 and Gordon can run any bench off the floor. Instead we have bunch of inconsistent guys coming off the bench.

The big decision is what happens to Rivers. Yes he did very well. But we really need size if we give him the MLE we’re probably ****ed at SF again. We will end up playing 4 guards and Tucker again and then we will wonder why are we getting out rebounded again and why is it hard to contest shots.

hakeem94 and BaselineFade like this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

zion time!