1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey needs a plan. Start w/trading Capela for...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, May 21, 2019.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

Myles Turner! The Rockets need a PF or a front court player that can score and rebound. Currently, all of our scoring comes from the back court; Harden, Paul and Gordon. And that's what is killing us in the playoffs!

We don't have enough to offer N.O in a trade for AD but Myles Turner, although a lesser talent than AD, he has a similar skill set. He would give us length on the wing, in the frontcourt and decrease the burden on PJ Tucker.

Indy is a small market, so they have to spread their salary around. They are currently paying Oladipo and I don't see them paying Turner and Sabonis to play the same position PF/C, SOMEBODY HAS TO GO! And since Capela and Turner make the same amount, I think it will a perfect trade for both sides.

Second, go hard after D. Jordan to fill Capela's role at Center. Try and bring back Rivers, House and Faried and/or a backup center (WOULD LOVE JAVALE MCGEE). I'm not for sure what players are overseas but we need a legit young 6' 9 - 6'11 wing project that we can bring along.

START PUTTING TOGETHER A ROSTER FOR THE LONG TERM AND NOT JUST GOING AFTER THE HOTTEST NAME THAT'S AVAILABLE YEAR AFTER YEAR

2. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Value down a lot now. Not even sure we break even

MC31B and smp like this.
  3. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

We spent a lot on a center who only rebounds and dunks.

However rebounding isn’t really a strength on certain matchups because of his size.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This makes no sense....

They won't pay Turner and Sabonis to both play PF/C but will pay Capela and Sabonis?

5. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Also, PF and C are two different positions. Why wouldn't Indy want two good players at those spots???

jcf likes this.
  6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

In my opinion, Capela is a great fit for the Rockets and worth his contract. The problem is there's one team that completely marginalizes him and it's the team the Rockets can't beat.

I don't trade Capela unless a significant upgrade to the star core is made or a major addition to the smallball rotation can be acquired. I don't think Myles Turner helps the Rockets get past the Warriors, but I may be wrong.

The Anthony Davis pipe dream, Butler, Beal are moves you easily make trading Capela. Something like Tobias Harris at least makes you think. Otherwise, keep Capela and hope to find a lengthy shooter that can be trusted in a defensive scheme against the Warriors.

D-rock, Relativist, jcmoon and 35 others like this.
  7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Is there a random trade thread on this board? I'm asking for a friend...

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Clint Capela, Eric Gordon for Aaron Gordon, D.J. Augustine

fattz and D-rock like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey's plan:
    -Sign (more) minimum free agent scrubs
    -Cut/trade said minimum free agent scrubs during season
    -Hope for a buyout or two
    -Lose buyouts during summer free agency
    -Repeat process

#9 J.R., May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. JayZ750

I wish we'd stop using the word smallball. Note, GSW don't use that word. Not that it makes a difference or that DM cares what its called, but its frustrating when the Rockets go smallball, they like to basically throw out 3 PG sized duded out there - or at least 2, plus Harden who is an ok sized SG - and then back them up with a ridiculously small PF/C.

Anyways... I think its a DEFINITE swing with Myles Turner. I'd absolutely move Capela for Turner if possible. You'd create somewhat of a different problem in that you need a legit C/big to replace Capela in stretches, but Myles Turner has as solid a case for DPOY as anyone. You can look up on nba.com defensive stats by player and place on the floor.

For example, Capela guarded 7.7 fga/g at the rim, giving up 59% shooting. Turner guarded 8.5 fga/g, giving up 54% shooting (this was as of like a month ago, not sure if rs had ended or not yet). Both pretty similar honestly. Both also guard on the perimeter a fair amount, giving up similar %s there, too.

So he's as good defensively, and offensively adds spacing. He shot his most 3s / game this year at 2.6 at his highest % - 38.8%, which by the way would be one of the best on the Rockets.

And he's 22.

But there's no way the Pacers do it.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Didn't you forget:

-Get worked over by GS no matter what you do, watch national media smirk
    ?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes

I also forgot:
    -Watch Mike D'Antoni bench said buyouts during playoffs

13. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The Rockets are not looking to dump Capela, he is just the most valuable asset the Rockets are willing to move for a star type player.

I think the Rockets would jump all over a Tobias Harris for Capela deal, but that isn't happening.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Do you think Clint can improve so that he doesn't get totally destroyed by GS ?

I think it's gonna be tough because outside of shooting , there isn't a single skill he can work on to counteract their scheme and personnel .

He also may have sacrificed quickness in his efforts to add strength .... which is another thing that makes him less than ideal vs GS

He almost got to improve "all around" or at the very least improve his athleticism to the point he can be more effective on defense and on the glass

15. BigBum

BigBum Member

Has to keep Gordon, need him a lot.

deb4rockets likes this.
  16. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Lauri Markkanen?

17. JayZ750

As a follow-up... Rockets would and should do it - same/better interior defense with actual floor spacing... but Pacers wouldn't.

Moreover... if I am looking at the Pacers cap situation right:
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/indiana-pacers/cap/2019/

They have absolutely no salary cap concerns.

Sabonis is still under contract next year. Thad Young and Cory Joseph are both FAs and I suspect the Pacers will just release their cap holds on them. They might like Thad back, but his cap hold is like $20 million. Joseph's is $15 million. They also have Tyreke's cap hold that will obviously be released - another $15 million. They will likely not release Bogdanovic.

When it's all said and done, they probably won't be in a position to attract a max free agent, but should have room to attract some free agents. This moves makes absolutely no sense for them unless you add assets. Eg:

Capela, Gordon, Future first

for

Turner, Doug McDermott

And that's just too much to give up.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So it is impossible for Capela to improve?

Rocket River

19. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I like Turner but I’d rather target Randle. He’s a much better fit for the Rockets. If he doesn’t want to stay in NO then maybe they’d be willing to trade for Capela to get a young center in return.

Would love to see Darius Miller in a Rockets uniform as well

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear Carmelo Anthony is available again