1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D’Antoni explains why he doesn’t like calling timeouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hcw128, May 21, 2019.

1. hcw128

hcw128 Member

D’Antoni often opts against calling timeouts in crucial junctures, and instead just lets his players play out the possession.

Speaking to Michael Pina of Sports Illustrated, D’Antoni shed some light on his thought process during these types of instances:

“What am I gonna do, say ‘Oh, let me take the ball out of James’s hand, then take it out, call a timeout, put it back in their hands in the exact same spot they were?'” D’Antoni says. “We just go with it.”

It’s hard to argue against D’Antoni’s logic here, especially when he has the reigning MVP on his side. Then again, this has always been his style in his 15-year tenure as an NBA head coach.

One other trademark for D’Antoni is his refusal to call timeouts when opposing teams go on scoring runs. The 67-year-old actually believes that this is not a good tactic:

“There are no analytics that really proves that if you call a timeout, it stops the run of the other team,” he says. “Actually, there’s evidence that doesn’t support that.”

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-news-mike-dantoni-explains-why-doesnt-like-calling-timeouts/

don grahamleone, dje243, s3ts and 3 others like this.
  2. Mattician

Mattician Member

I disagree. I always hate seeing the other team go on a 10-20 point run, or sometimes more. Or when the Rockets go scoreless for 3-5+ minutes.

Happened with McHale as the coach more though.

3. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Wow it is worse than I thought....no analytics to support calling a time out? Lol. Maybe there was no sample size taken. A timeout does cool the other team down. Its stop the momentum. Some things in basketball cant be measured. Seems like hes trying to use analytics to cover his coach mistakes to me.

houtown, mastan, Amel and 20 others like this.
  4. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

5. bmelo

bmelo Member

Wow. Just WOW. He just has no emotional intelligence. Pops is laughin out of his ass reading this. Recent news around the Rockets make our playoff failures make sense now

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rox are just not good enough to withstand no timely TOs.

7. rocks123

rocks123 Member

lol at d antoni. well he doesnt like resting his players afterall so...

PeterKingX and Ramo$e like this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why couldn’t that be measured, if it actually works? Please explain.

ParaSolid, Hou_rox, jboslett and 4 others like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's rarely useful. The Rockets AVERAGE points per possession is significantly higher than the BEST points per possession any coach in the league gets after a time out. Calling timeouts in those situations should be about preserving possessions. Anyone who's using it to draw up a play that the opposing coach has scouted all season is wasting their time.

#9 Mathloom, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    dje243, MajorSeanBond and HP3 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The dangerous thing is not calling a Time out or not.

MDA is basically admitting he is a stubborn son of a gun.

He is totally cool with winning some games and losing the important ones.

Okay, most of us knew that.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As with everything Rockets and MDA related they are stuck with regular season analytics.

In the playoffs you have to act differently.

And guess what??

Knowing how to do something because it’s how you’ve done it multiple times in the regular season helps you act differently better.

MDA doesn’t even know how to properly call timeouts in the playoffs because he doesn’t in the regular season and it works for him.

It’s the same thing as the role players not knowing what to do on a 3 on 1 fast break in Game 6 in the 4th quarter so instead they just pass it around the 3 point line a few times then let Gerald Green drive in for a half hearted jumping turning shot in the lane.

This is not rocket science.

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I'm available to not coach the Rockets, I'l take half of what they pay Dan Tony.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Agreed totally.

We have to draw up plans for playoffs only........for GSW and the Bucks only.

I see Bucks as a coming team for years, they might not win it this year, or may win it. Undecided about that.

Jake Tower likes this.
  14. bmelo

bmelo Member

So let me summarize it up:
    -he doesn't hold practices so he can run shorter rotations
    -he doesn't have an offensive system, he just gives the ball to James and tells everyone else to stand behind 3
    -he needs assitants to coordinate defense
    -he doesn't coach in game, don't use time outs
    -his rotations in playoffs are questionable at best, cost us atleast 2 games

what in the **** is he still doing here?

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Most of this post I don’t agree with, but that sequence you hi lighted where we ended up with a 4 point lead instead of a 9 point lead was the difference I’m the game in my opinion. If that breaks the other way I think the crowd gets crazy, Kerr calls time out and the warriors start thinking about defending oracle in game 7 at home.

RocketRed84 and Jake Tower like this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Well Mike....
    The whole idea of calliing a timeout is so you can impart some wisdom to your team at a crucial juncture...
    Maybe draw up a play for a high % bucket...
    Perhaps make an adjustment on defense in the midst of the other teams run...

What am I saying... call a play? make an adjustment? Mike doesnt do those things... he's content just to 'play our game...'

and thats why THIS DUDE IS A LOSER WHO CANT WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP!

SCREW MDA!
    He aint nothin but fools gold! An NBA version of Marty Schottenheimer - regular season success followed by post season failure - rinse repeat!

I cant believe that stupid SOB actually says this stuff... smh...

@J.R.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You missed his point. The rockets regular offense is better than everyone’s offense after a “high percentage play” that’s been scouted to death and run against a set defense is in the league. It’s areogance and hubris for a coach to do that outside of late game/time constraints situations.
    Mikes just using optimal strategy. JVG said the same thing after a couple years with Morey.

18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Explain what? That he's using analytics to to justify his inability to coach properly. It can measured. Anything can me measured. The data gives a general consensus. Never the whole story. Some situations call for time outs even if the data doesn't call for tell you to do so. The only thing about probability is you leave everything to chance. Our chances havent been good.

I mean the data might not support it, but if what you are doing isnt working should you not try something different? This is where the predictably comes in. How about you do call a time out and dont give the ball to Harden. How about you run a actual set according your players strength.

Just because something can be quantified doesn't mean the data will translate to the current situation. Its a guesstimate at best. A decent point of reference. Something to keep in mind, but nothing to live by.

payaso likes this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

"What am I gonna do? Actually call plays? Nah that's too hard! I have James Harden and that's enough!"

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Timeouts may not stop the momentum of the other team but it can give your team a chance to regroup and figure out what is going wrong and how to counter it. Maybe change an offensive or defensive strategy that isn't working.

Most importantly most timeouts help deflate the crowd energy (when on the road) which is a huge thing. To me that can't be argued about and that has a tangible effect on how the home team plays.