1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Timberwolves hiring Gersson Rosas as President of Basketball Operations

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, May 1, 2019.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. omgTHEpotential

Morey is truly the Pop of basketball executives. How many GMs/presidents from the 'Morey tree' are there?

Sam Hinkie
    Arturas Karnisovas
    Gersson Rosas

Any others?

Ramo$e, BigShasta and ramotadab like this.
  3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

[​IMG]

But in all seriousness, congrats Gerson! You deserve it

Ramo$e and roslolian like this.
  4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

A season too late for the rockets. They already moved butler.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Maybe helps us get AD

Wolves in
    Capela Gordon 4 1st round picks

Pelicans in
    KAT

Rockets in
    AD

Or maybe trades us KAT themselves

6. No Chill Rocket

Serious question what’s the difference between President of Basketball operations and GM , same job different name or are there truly different responsibilities?

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's not horrible, but the obvious issue in Minny is Wiggins. One the one hand, Gersson can risk it and just trade for AD himself. If he walks after the year, as he will, then you do a full rebuild and move on. On the other hand, you can't really risk a full rebuild, so the above "could work" if they can find a way to move Wiggins' contract for legit value back.

Here's a trade that apparently works on the trade machine.

Rockets out: CP3, EG, Capela, picks as necessary
    Rockets in: Wiggins, AD, Dieng, Solomon Hill

TWolves out: KAT, Dieng, Wiggins
    TWolves in: CP3, Capela, Gordon

Pelicans out: AD
    Pelicans in: KAT, maybe a pick

I'm still not entirely sure why the TWolves do this, but they get off a crap-ton of money ... though replace it with CP3s crap-ton of money, lol.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Find another way without cp3 lol

10. JayZ750

Find a way to end up with AD that doesn’t involve trading CP3 or Harden?? Good luck. Only way that works is if AD basically just says I’m only playing for Houston. And even then it won’t work. UnLike CP3 who had an opt out clause.

I’m no huge Wiggins fan. But if there was ever a player who would benefit as a third scorer in a Rockets type system it’s be him.

My suggestion only even comes close to working because you are ridding Minny if Wiggins and Diengs contracts.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.fox9.com/sports/gersson-rosas-to-build-our-own-identity-with-wolves

After 17 years, it’s time for a new challenge for Rosas.

“I want to make it clear, my time in Houston was very special. But this is not going to be Houston North. This is going to be about Minnesota and we’re going to build our own identity, we’re going to build our own organism,” Rosas said. “There’s special people here, there’s special players here. We’re going to use some of the same models and approaches, top to bottom. One thing I’ll bring from Houston is we’re going to question the norm in everything that we do.”

Rosas made one thing clear: It’s going to take time, and there will be tangible changes. His emphasis is on putting people in positions to be successful, maximizing strengths and a commitment to player development.

“We have to question the norm, things have to be done differently. There is going to be tangible change, and this market is going to feel it,” Rosas said.

One other thing he wants to take a shot at? Turning Andrew Wiggins into the star his salary would suggest he is. The 2014 first-round draft pick is set to make $27.5 million next season in the first year of four-year, $147 million max contract.

He averaged 18.1 points per game last year and is averaging 19.4 per game for his career, but the path to getting there has been polarizing.

“Andrew is a very talented individual. I know what his potential is, I know what his impact could be. I’m going to invest every resource I can to help Andrew be successful,” Rosas said.

Rosas comes from an organization that has been to the NBA Playoffs seven straight years and 10 of the past 13. That includes two trips to the Western Conference Finals.

It’s that type of consistency that the Wolves organization and fans would welcome.

“Glen [Taylor] is fully committed to building a world class organization with a championship focus, that’s why I’m here,” Rosas said. “He wants to win, the fans in this market want to win and the Minnesota Timberwolves over time are going to earn the right to be a champion in this market.”

Ramo$e and Vivi like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I’d be happy just getting Covington back without blowing it up.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sorry but why the hell would Twolves and Pelicans even involve Houston? Makes 0 sense Wolves would lose their best asset (KaT) and not get AD back.

14. JayZ750

AD isn’t signing in Minnesota. Ever. That’s why.

But it’s obviously not going to happen. And even if it did in the sense that Minny would use KAT as partners of a three way deal with Pelicans, they are likely to find a different third team partner.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

#15 J.R., May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Vivi likes this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Isn't this the guy who went to Mavs and quit shortly thereafter? If yes, then I like this dude and congrats on the gig.

17. JayZ750

This is an interesting move by Rosas.

I'm not saying Saunders is a bad coach. But to me he has a bit of a Joe Prunty feel to him. Prunty did a decent enough job as interim HC for the Bucks last year. Certainly his 21-16 was better than Kidd's 23-22. But obviously coach Bud was a much better choice.

KAT and Wiggins ABSOLUTELY have serious flaws, but with the right leadership should be able to do much better, imo. The TWolves were 17-25 under Saunders. Other than the desire to have him be good because of his dad and their connections to that franchise, I'm just surprised Rosas wouldn't push for a clean start.

It's a riskier move to make, but to me, I'm changing the staff 100%.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. dmoneybangbang

The rockets front office are sinking their tentacles across the NBA

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

The Mavs hired him and then let him go so he came back to Houston. It felt like he went to be the GM but the Mavs didn't actually want him to make any moves just give them inside info on how Morey ran operations (pure speculation on my part here on inside info part) but Dallas did not give him the authority that usually comes with the GM position.

Rosas definitely been making moves up there in Minnesota even if its been primarily front office moves outside of the move up to get Culver in the draft. It looks like he is definitely making changes in the front office culture which will only pay dividends down the road.

malakas likes this.