1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Forbes] The Rockets are the 7th most valuable team in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

https://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/#header:position

They are are the 7th most valuable team in the NBA.

They are worth 2.3 billion.

They are the 4th most profitable.

They made 103 mil in operating profits.

I am not sure why Tilman can't go deep into the luxury tax line if he is making 103 million dollars. At least pay house a million bucks.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Forbes valuations are questionable

Interesting though that we have the 4th highest revenue, 4th highest operating income despite being 7th in actual value

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I really am scared about Tillman .

I'm worried that if the rockets don't have a good finish to this season that Morey is gone.

Morey has made a few mistakes and back himself into a corner ... but he's incredible at getting out of it quickly .

Tilmans main goal is to make profit ... as it should be , the NBA is a business first and foremost . But , I'm worried that he won't be able to find a way to compete for a title and make (as much) money at the same time .

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Must be nice to have your entire lower bowl sold out each and every season. Big Oil FTW!

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah it concerns me as well. Morey certainly isn't perfect, he's had a pretty terrible year, but he is still one of the best GM's in the game. Odds are slim we hire a GM better than him.

And yes, Tilman being overconcerned with profits is also alarming. So far I haven't seen anything egregious, most of our moves have been reasonable or are a part of a valid cap management strategy. There's a lot of smoke though.

D-rock and justtxyank like this.
  6. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

He has already said WCF or bust. If we don't get to WCF, he will want to make significant changes. Les was not trigger happy to make a hasty decision. I think at this point everyone is in limbo in regards to the team's success this season. Tillman's passion aside, the last thing we want Rocket's execs acting like Knick's foolish execs year after year.

D-rock, snowconeman22 and justtxyank like this.
  7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

7th? Let me guess the top 6.
    Lakers - duh
    Knicks
    Warriors
    Clippers - because it's in LA
    Celtics
    Can't think of the last one. Sixers?

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Right . Morey has also had to work within the constraints set by the owner .

The rockets would look a lot different right now had Morey been "allowed" to tank post Yao .... but then again we might not have harden . Or we might have harden and had another young star to pair with him .

The main signs from Tillman so far have been from what he has said , not necessarily what he has done . Quotes like "avoid the repeater tax" and "find a new GM" while somewhat understood .... didn't really need to be said , but he did anyways .

Houston is such a great city . There has to be a way to make good money and give the fans a great team

D-rock likes this.
  9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Because the luxury tax could wipe out that entire profit margin. And the team is worth exactly what Tilman paid for it.

alcatrazpsycho likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

My guess is Brooklyn.

*D'oh, also Chicago.
    Knicks - Lakers - Warriors - Bulls - Celtics - Nets - Rockets

Location is far more important than success.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Didn't Tilman have to borrow money to buy the Rockets? I'm assuming he has to make payments with interest like with most loans. So, 103 million sounds like a lot. But, he has other expenses. Right?

D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

As I remember, he only had about $200 million cash in the deal. Yes, the deal included a loan from Les as well.

D-rock likes this.
  13. s3ts

s3ts Member

I see an end to that coming quicker than previously thought.

A lot of auto manufacturers are producing EVs people are trying very hard to move away from using plastic, etc. Oil & Gas companies are investing large chunks of their money into renewable sources, but that is their own demise -- other sources of energy just aren't profitable enough to have the kind of profit margins and revenue streams that oil & gas has.

There's a reason why the housing market in Houston is a buyer's market today, people moved out and they ain't moving back in. And people are acting like nothing happened.

I don't see O&G companies continuing their usual trend of constant spending. Things do NOT look good.

D-rock likes this.
  14. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Yup. I keep forgetting Nets is in Brooklyn now.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, if we were in LA or New York, we'd be at least ranked 3rd with the same numbers. ;-)

D-rock likes this.
  16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

His profits will continue to increase as we've already seen cost cutting into food preparation while simultaneously increasing food prices.

I'm sure hes hired a lower income staff after ending the contract with the aramark as well.

The dude is a savvy savvy business owner and he will make this team highly profitable.

While Moreys goal and mindset is probably a 2-4 year projection, Tilman has to be more focused on the 5-10yr growth.

It sucks that it's a possible hindrance right now but I think the Lux Tax Savings meme is a bit overblown.

While yes morey has shed money often thus far, none of them made us worse and all were relatively inconsequential to our success as a team because it took no assets outside of Tilmans cash.

We can pay 5 mill in salary+tax for some nobody player, or we can pay 3mill for someone to take him.

You get a new owner, you want him happy. Saving him money over and over again by sound cba tactics is brilliant.

D-rock and RayRay10 like this.
  17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I really don’t think tilman thinks of the Rockets as a business... he’s a lifelong fan, it’s basically a toy for him. Doesn’t mean you make bad decisions.

D-rock likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

I don’t understand why so many of you want your owner to blow his luxury tax wad on a team that’s not worth it as currently constructed?

Seems like that’s a good way to have an owner jaded and not be willingly to spend when it actually matters. I’m in the camp we overachieved last year.

19. macan

macan Member

thought we'd ranked higher than that since we still got a huge Chinese market supporting us

D-rock likes this.
  20. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Greater Houston gained more than 100,000 people last year, just like it does every year there's no huge storm or oil bust. Oil is up and down but companies are making plenty of money. Production is at an all-time high. What you're saying isn't consistent with reality. A majority-EV US car fleet is at least 15 years away.