1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Luka the next James Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFan247, Dec 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

When searching for coverage of Harden's 50tripdub on ESPN, I came across this sub-headline that caught my eye because I had the same thought when watching our embarrassing collapse against the Mavs, specifically due to Luka popping off and Clint's over-eagerness to switch onto guards like he 6'3".

Question for CF: How much do you think Luka's game resembles that of Harden?

The only obvious thing that I see Harden having the edge over Luka is his handles and the ability break his man down on the iso. I'm interested in what others think about their games with respect to one another.

ESPN Link: http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/25517542/is-luka-doncic-next-james-harden

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Kinda strange.

Luka is a 6'7'' right-handed player who doesn't eurostep, nor does he have the propensity to draw fouls.

In what way is he the next Harden? So confused as to ESPN's take.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's really early to say, he's so young and has so much potential to develop. Right now, no he's not nearly the type of ISO creator nor passer Harden is, but neither was Harden his first couple of seasons. I think he has the potential to become a very similar player, it's clear he's special though.

RocketsFan247 likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Doncic is crafty, is a creative passer, has a floater game, and has a nice stepback three...Harden is a god-tier player tho...not many in NBA history can reach this level

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Doncic is more comparable to Bird. Not quite as big, but their style is extremely similar.

I've argued for years with casuals that Bird would seamlessly translate into today's era. Doncic, honestly, is proof of that.

omgTHEpotential and robbie380 like this.
  8. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I just saw some Tweet after tonight's loss that Harden is a "league-made superstar". I'm flipping my eyes over - guy has it the complete opposite. The thing that has impressed me most about Harden is that he's always added to his game because he was aware of his own gaps. Rockets took a chance on him and gave him keys to the team - he took it and ran with it.

Based on trajectory, I wouldn't consider "OKC Harden" to be much of an iso player. He had elite iso skills but he crafted it throughout his years here in Houston.

I'm just caught in the middle of enjoying the most I can watching Harden in his prime and being excited for Luka's career because I like his game a lot. He does benefit from sliding into that go-to superstar role that the Mavs desperately needed; whereas Harden was relegated to the 6th man role to start off their careers. Luka has more potential to put up more minutes and production.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

i mean, sorry...wrong forum.

Take this to the Dish where people sometimes still want to compare AD to Hakeem.

Rashmon, topfive and RyanB like this.
  10. steveng125

steveng125 Member

The step-back

RocketsTerps likes this.
  11. Rocketsfan3422

He had a good game against him

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ehh, to be fair, a lot of NBA players has a step-back.

I dunno. If some random scrub has a good game against LeBron, the media wouldn't be so quick to churn out an article that states "____ ____: the next LeBron James?"

napalm06 likes this.
  13. icewill36

icewill36 Member

doncic is nice... he has more size, but harden is a lot more athletic. im not sure how similar their games are other than the step back. i really like his playmaking ability though. he is the real deal for sure. to come in at 19 and play this well is something special.

MC31B likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

There is no modern analog for Bird, and it isn't really Doncic unless he becomes a stellar defensive player. He's closer to Lebron level impact on the game. If we want to keep it to similar color players (a joke :p) then Bird would be like Dirk with all NBA-level defense, passing, and slightly better rebounding. I have no idea who these casual fans are you've been chatting with but they have zero idea how good Bird was if they think his game wouldn't translate easily.

I would have loved to have seen Bird with modern medicine and treatment for his back and with someone who would have done his work around the house for him lol.

And Doncic and Harden are not alike, but he's a nice player.

RocketsFan247 likes this.
  15. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Need to stop searching for the "next" player. Let the player be their own player. Some media already looking for the next Zion.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

The same league that has created rules in an attempt to nerf Harden’s game? I’ve seen quite a few of his haters say that he’s a manufactured or league-made superstar which sounds so nonsensical and ridiculous. I always wonder why the league would choose Harden of all people to handcraft into a superstar. The man is just that good, people need to accept it.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I said Nope when I saw the headline but then I looked closer.

Probably the fast transformation from a role player to star to MVP superstar.

But it's too big of a jump into the future IMO.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

hopefully in the sense that the national media will discredit his stats, call him a flopper and hate on him for thr duration of his career.

19. Dmo

Dmo Member

r/nba has been salty the entire night.

MajorSeanBond likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe he can fap to the rim then.

Jontro likes this.