1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If it's not Jimmy Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Who else can we grab without giving much up that would strengthen our defense?

My view is at some point, between Paul/Gordon/Ennis we are ok on guarding quicker guys 6'6 and under.
    Tucker can guard many 4's and some 3's. He will certainly be useful against Lebron, Durant, Draymond, Ingles, Tatum and Kawhi (i.e. tall forwards on teams that will matter).

I feel like we need just one more guy who can guard wings 6'8 and over. I'm also trying to be realistic that the assets we're willing to give up for a non-star aren't great.

Here are some guys who have been performing below expectations for some time or that their team doesn't factor into long term plans that could be used for depth:

Batum: worst performing and terrible contract, which means he'd be cheapest in trade. On the plus side, he will be more open and add a passing dimension that I've long thought we've been painfully lacking in the frontcourt. He's not so much a SG/SF anymore as he is a SF/PF which is perfect for us. Really terrible contract though. Like really really bad. But would be cheap imo. Maybe just Knight, Nene and Chriss for Batum.

Crabbe: similar situation to Batum. Bad contract (though nowhere near as bad as Batum), has not been playing up to expectations, but less responsibility and winning culture might suit him. This guy reminds me a lot of Ariza after his first Rockets stint. Doesn't seem like a smart player, but might grow into an excellent role player if his responsibilities are limited to catch and shoot corner 3's (where he's lethal) and defense (where he's mediocre thus far). Knight, Chriss and our 1st rounder for Crabbe and their 2nd rounder might do it. Opens up a few more million in cap space for them next summer, and arms them with a late first rounder.

Demarre Carroll: expiring contract, some health concerns, recent performance has been decent, 3pt shot looks like it has stabilized. Seeing as they probably don't want to add salary to next offseason, we might have to send Knight and a 1st to SAC, Chriss to Nets and Carroll to Rockets. Good depth guy and we will have dumped Knight's salary.

That's just off the top of my head. Keep in mind I've intentionally picked out players whose profile is not gonna WOW anyone, because that's what our assets are like and Morey isn't going to give multiple picks or Tucker and Gordon unless it's a two-way star coming back.

Any realistic opportunities you guys see to buy low on someone who would give us some defensive help?

kevcai, Rudyc281, DonKnock and 5 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Batum’s contract is way too hideous to even think about taking on. Tilman ain’t having it, and I can’t see Morey anchoring himself to that atrocity. Also, to be frank, Batum has been declining and really isn’t that good anymore.

Crabbe would give us a pure shooter, but he doesn’t provide any defensive help.

I like Wes Matthews, but Dallas has never seemed desperate to dump him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

our best bet might just be Demarre Carroll, but Wes is my guy if we could somehow get him

ROXonROXonROX and BaselineFade like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't see the Rockets trade for Batum at this point, it would require to move Knight and Nene or Chriss, maybe a bit more salary, not sure now but, i don't know...also cause i'm not sure the Hornets would be ok with that unless we throw in at least one asset, which might be a 1st rounder, and i don't see the Rockets do that.

Crabbe won't improve our defense i think.

As for Carroll, like you said we would've to make a three team trade, likely with the Kings, but i don't see them taking back Knight unless we give them a 1st rounder, and Carroll isn't worth a 1st rounder, it's also possible the Nets will buy him out since they'll probably tank later in the season.

If it's not Butler i'm not sure what player we can target, as today i don't see a player available that would make us that much better tbh. I think Love will be available at some point, maybe he's already, but i don't think we will get him, probably teams like Phoenix, Indiana will probably be frontrunners for him. I think our best target might be an under the radar guy like Oubre at this point.

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. High Vibrationz

You are missing the big picture here, yes i feel like we need another 3and d player at the 3 or 4 ,but when its all said and done does that put us over the edge in defeating the warriors? I say no,at this point mcw,ennis,and melo have been very disappointing and the stats have shown it ,the chemistry is way off, yes we lost ariza and luc but we can say the team is significant better/worse or say with confidence "we can beat the warriors at the moment? No.I honestly feel like morey is giving this team a few more games to try and figure it out ,if not i see a trade happening ,possibly jimmy butler ? Who knows but a trade is inevitable.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Unfortunately, none of those guys are real difference-makers. i'm afraid we missed our chance to upgrade the team this offseason. We may be players for buyout candidates or a trade deadline move, but i think this is the team we are going with into 2019. Let's all pray Chris Paul stays healthy.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'll stick with Otto Porter.

His contract isn't much better than Batum's, but he's younger.

WIzards lucked into a win last night (Beal made a 3 pointer with 7 seconds left to tied the game).

3 games in, Porter is underperforming - he finally sucks at shooting threes for a short stretch at least - and Oubre is outperforming and playing better than him.

I suspect Porter will revert to average on his shot. He might be mentally over it at this point. For some reason he seems to take the brunt of the criticism for that team underperforming. Well, that some reason is because he's still their highest paid player until Wall's extension kicks in, but it's not his fault he got paid. He's their 3rd best player at best.

DM would have to get a bit creative to get him, now that we don't have Ryan's contract to move anymore. Knight, Chriss, Nene, Zhou still isn't quite enough salary wise. Ennis is tradeable 12-15 and might get you there. Of course Wizards would want a pick as well. They'll probably want a lot more than just that salary cap relief, but whether early in the season, at the trade deadline, or later, as with Batum, who's trading for that contract?

kevcai, DonKnock and B-Bob like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

$15M for ONE year for Ariza was apparently too much but they'll definitely take on Batum. :D

$24,000,000
    $25,565,217
    $27,130,434

8. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Pat Bev
    Jonathan Simmons
    James Johnson
    Will Barton
    Josh Richardson
    Avery Bradley
    Aminu
    Ed Davis

All would boost our defense nicely. Most are attainable. Brandon Knight (When healthy) along with a little bit of filler could honestly get us Jonathan Simmons considering the best PG they have is DJ Augustin

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Batum?!?!?

Not only no but hell no. Giant contract, often hurt.

Otto Porter is overpaid but if he can hit those 3's again like last year.

Tobias Harris.....Codman seemed to mention him, but outside of helping the Clips get Butler (and, subsequently, Kawhi in the off-season), I think it might be a personal preference rather than "realm of possibility".

If we want to help the Wizards cap situation, I'd love Beal, but he's probably less available than Butler, and EGO + picks + Chriss + whatever isn't likely. So chalk that one up to wishful drinking.

Something will shake loose (like a turd), but who or what........The Shadow knows.

luckyman76 likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Oh wow, would love to get Porter or Oubre but imo we don't have the assets and we're fooling ourselves if we think those guys skills are not known by the Wizards. IMO they're far more likely to dump their coach than give up any of those 2 guys who just happen to not be fitting in.

That's an unusual argument. We would have happily dumped Ryno to keep Ariza, which is what we would in effect be doing by trading Knight/Chriss/filler for Batum.

Not the same as going into LT by signing Ariza outright @ $15m.

I'm surprised at what people are expecting to be honest. Why would the player we get NOT be flawed or have a terrible contract given the nature of our assets? If you want a good player on a good contract, you have to give up solid players and our 'meh' first round pick.

A flawed player will do, imo. Cousins, Draymond, Livingston and Iguodala are all flawed and they matter. Someone like Batum would replace all or part of the minutes of MCW, Green, Ennis, Melo while bringing a new dimension. If he were on a decent contract, we wouldn't be able to get him for whatever we have lying around (i.e. some cap relief for them, allowing them to churn that contract into oblivion).

Frankly would much rather get Carroll. Would get us close to where we were at the end of last season imo without costing much.

#10 Mathloom, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    BaselineFade likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

#newmath

12. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

jonathan simmons - decent contract on a bad team going nowhere and relegated to the bench. relatively young and athletic and can shoot the 3. played good def against harden and above avg def on kd during the 2017 playoffs. and he's from houston.

RudyTBag, saleem, HP3 and 7 others like this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No assembled team in NBA history can, on paper, say they confidently can beat the current Warriors. Not even Michael Jordan's Bulls or Magic's Lakers or Russell's Celtics. On paper, there is no chance you are going to assemble a better cast (and all on perfect contracts too).

Didn't stop the Rockets, Pistons, Spurs and Mavs from ripping titles away from allegedly more talented teams. You need to be in the talent range and outwork them. Right now, we're not in the range, and imo don't have the right mix of personalities to outwork them.

14. Nook

Nook Member

This.

If they were going to take on Batum, they would have dealt Anderson for him already.

Deuce and DonKnock like this.
  15. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I’ve been preaching Jonathan Simmons for a long time so I’ll stick with him.

James Johnson would be an amazing get as well because I think he is a great fit with his style of play.

saleem, joshuaao, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  16. seeingred

seeingred Member

Aminu

D-rock likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

as a bench piece JJ could be solid. as the answer for the missing 3 and D wing this roster is missing in the starting lineup, no bc he is terrible from the perimeter

18. Nook

Nook Member

If you want to know possible players that could end up in Houston...

#1 Courtney Lee: He isn't an all NBA type individual defender but he is a plus defender because he communicates well and plays smart. He can guard multiple spots and would fit the Rockets needs very well. He would also play very well next to Harden/Paul. The Knicks and Rockets have spoken before about Lee. The Knicks would like to move him to clear salary cap space. The Rockets would likely need a third team involved. The Knicks were looking for value in a deal for Lee last year, but at this point they just want to deal him to clear salary.

#2 Jonathan Simmons: Orlando is willing to move him. The Rockets would likely need to package Chriss and Nene and a draft pick to make it happen. He is raw offensively and doesn't shoot the three well. Most of his value is his ability to defend multiple spots and his athleticism. There were some issues in San Antonio about his communications with teammates.

#3 Anthony Tolliver: He is an expiring that can play the 3-5 in certain spots. He is an above average defender that can hit threes. The problem is that the Wolves are not going to want to dump him just to do it, they will want someone that can help them now.

#4 Iman Shumpert: Good defender that can play multiple positions. The Kings don't have to deal him as he is an expiring. It would cost the Rockets assets to get him.

The only one of these players I have personally heard linked to the Rockets in the past is Courtney Lee and IMO he is the most likely candidate and the best fit. He is an older veteran that is tough, can play multiple spots, defends well and would fit perfectly on the Rockets. The Knicks are also motivated to move him. The problem is that the Rockets have a hard time getting a salary match without a third team. A deal involving Lee would almost be guaranteed to involve Chriss and possibly Hilario.

19. basketballholic

Tolliver cannot defend 3's.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  20. Vivi

Vivi Member

@Mathloom not saying getting him will be easy of course, but Oubre has been in the league for 4 years now, i like him but he's not exactly a rising star, and the Wizards have at the same time multiple players in the same spot (just drafted antoher SF in the 1st round) and one of the highest salary commitments in the league (pretty sure they were in luxury territory already last season, they're right now and unless they trade Porter or Beal they'll likely be there next season too) so, considering Oubre is also expiring, i don't think it would be that hard to get him if we really want him and if Washington does not consider him starting material.

Oh, and on a side note, just fantasy basketball of course, but since Simmons popped up...the Magic are basically without a pg aside for Augustin, if i'm not wrong, if we move Gordon, Nene and Chriss for Butler first, and Knight for Simmons (with the Magic sending another player to the Kings for a small asset) later, that should get us really close to the tax threshold.

#20 Vivi, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    BaselineFade, Mathloom and DonKnock like this.