1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heat, Justise Winslow agree to 3-year, $39M extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Oct 12, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...es-three-year-39-million-extension-miami-heat

Miami Heat forward Justise Winslow has agreed to a three-year, $39 million contract extension, league sources told ESPN.

The extension for Winslow, 22, underscores the Heat's continued belief that he can be a key player on an Eastern Conference contender.

Roc Nation completed the deal with Miami Heat President Pat Riley and general manager Andy Elisburg on Friday afternoon, league sources said.

Winslow was eligible for his rookie extension as part of the NBA's Draft Class of 2015 and faced a Monday deadline to complete an extension. Without an extension, those players can enter restricted free agency on July 1.

Current teams can match offer sheets and retain restricted free agents.

The signing of Winslow's extension comes with short-term financial implications in any trade scenario that would make it extremely difficult for Miami to include Winslow into an outgoing deal.

After surgery to repair a torn shoulder labrum shortened what had began as a promising 2016-17 season, Winslow played 68 games a season ago and averaged 7.8 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.2 assists for the Heat.

He was a second-team All-NBA Rookie in 2016, and a member of Duke's national championship team in 2015. He was the 10th overall pick in the NBA Draft.

Winslow is the third member of the NBA Draft's Class of 2015 to agree to a rookie extension. Minnesota's Karl-Anthony Towns (five-year, $190 million) and Phoenix's Devin Booker (five-year, $158 million) signed max extensions.

#1 J.R., Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    heypartner and Vivi like this.
  2. BackdoorHarden

That's a lot of money for a guy that can't shoot.

MKG 2.0

Heats becoming new home of bad contracts.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So much for getting Winslow in a trade this year. The "Poison Pill" accounting of salary-matching makes it pretty difficult for us to obtain him.

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I like our squad, young guys included. Winslow is a little overrated to me.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

has anyone told him that his first name is misspelled?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. basketballholic

This is a value extension. If healthy he'll outperform it. I'm actually surprised he "agreed" to this deal this low. But....I like it and I think this could be the model contract for pending restricted free agents in the future in a tight market.

What happens here is a decision has to be made on the final year of the deal. If Winslow outperforms then there's incentive for the Heat to get another extension done. Winslow will have 6 years in and eligible for a full max at the 25% level and he'll be 24. If he does poorly the Heat get off the deal. If he does meh....They can keep him another season or..see if they can get him to extend at an appropriate rate.

But if he does great they have to deal. If he does great by his sixth season, they may be better off to opt out and offer him a 5-year deal in free agency. If they keep him cheap on that last year they push him to 7-year vet status, which makes him eligible for a 30% max deal instead of the 25% max deal he could have signed for had they not opted in.

The max money comes out the same to slightly in his favor if he has qualified for a designated max extension versus the team not exercising his option and signing him to a fresh 5-year deal unless by some miracle the cap goes down in the 2022-23 season which is very unlikely. And Winslow still holds the key to whether he accepts that next extension by both his performance on the court and his desire to explore free agency after his seventh season or get the security of an added extension after his sixth season.

This is a value extension. Both team and player friendly and incentives built into it for both sides. I like it a lot. It's a solution for players feeling like they're getting pigeon-holed in restricted free-agency and long drawn-out negotiations with late resolutions after their rookie contract is completed.

This is an extension the Wizards should pursue with Oubre jr as well. May be different numbers But two years with option on third year makes a lot of sense for everybody.

Does anybody know if Winslow has actually signed this extension yet? Or is it just agreed to and awaiting signature Monday?

#6 basketballholic, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  7. basketballholic

Signed just a few minutes ago. Interesting.

Butler deal end of October?????

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don’t know why people think Winslow is ever going Rubio get a Max contract.

da_juice, Invisible Fan, Nook and 5 others like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahahah:D

10. basketballholic

He may not ever get a max deal. But I don't know why anybody would rule it out. He is on an upward trajectory. And he broke out last year. JW did have a serious injury and lost a lot of time in his developmental phase. So his developmental curve has been elongated. He's at a juncture here where he could go either way. He could become a solid role player for years to come. Or he could break out to star/max player level.

This is a unique time in free agency. There's simply not very much room for max contract offers league wide. And most of the teams that would have or could have room are not contenders. And on top of that Winslow will have been restricted. That will change in a couple years when a lot of these Anderson-style bloated deals are off the books and the cap jumps higher as it is expected to do.

Winslow is an improved jump shot away from being an all-star level player. He's a top 10 defender right now, with the ability th handle and dish in the offensive end. He needs to improve his shot and adjust his shot selection a little bit. And he works be right there at max level.

I do have somewhat of a question as to how much he can improve his jumper since this is his 4th season and his mechanics are still spotty instead of smooth. But he's a hard worker and he's bright guys shooting up somewhat.

But to rule out the possibility of him becoming a max player altogether because guys stroke is lacking right now....would be foolish given the rest of his tool set and his attitude and work ethic.

#10 basketballholic, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  11. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Its not preposterous to conclude that Winslow's jumper won't improve, seeing how his FT% went from 68% his rookie year to 63% last year.
    Just like your boy Thong Maker, work ethic don't make up for 0 skill.

FLASH21 likes this.
  12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

13. Nook

Nook Member

Winslow if a good back up wing on an elite team or a starter that defends and guards multiple spots on the right type of team/system.

I don't see him ever being anything special offensively as he doesn't really create or put the ball on the floor like most true all star players need to.

His upside is a less efficient but better defensive version of Otto Porter. That is a very valuable player, but not a cornerstone.

I can see why the Heat want him. He is approaching the point where his shooting is passable enough to stay on the floor where he can defend multiple spots. I would be happy with him replacing Ariza on the Rockets because of his defensive versatility and improved shot........ but like Ariza, he is never going to be anything other than a secondary piece on offense.

da_juice, ilias, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  14. basketballholic

Creating is one of Winslow's potential strengths.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

No spelling is worse than Dwyane Wade. People should be calling him "Dew-yane" if that was really his intended spelling.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know Winslow is still only 22 years old but I'm just not seeing it. 13 million per year seems like a bad decision and is just adding to an already impressive roster full of bloated contracts. It really is starting to look like Pat Riley has lost his touch.

buffalobills!!! and roslolian like this.
  17. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Wasn't his fault, nor his mother's.

His grandmother didn't know how to spell "Dwayne", and named his father "Dwyane", his mom and dad wanted him to be a junior, which required congruent spelling of the name.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

$13M per season for just 3 years isn't bloated by any stretch. It's hard to remember this, but consider the NBA salary cap was $63M just 4 years ago and will be ~$115M in 2021. I still have to shake myself when considering these new contracts but they make sense in light of the revenue/cap explosion that began in 2016.

If Winslow doesn't improve much, his contract is fine and he's tradable. If he blows up, the Heat benefit.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Fair - but the Heat already have one of the highest payrolls in basketball and they suck. At some point you have to stop the bleeding. And I'm not even sold on Winslow's potential as a starter quality player at this point.

roslolian likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its on him, he has enough money now to get his and his dad's name legally changed and fix this madness before he has a Dwyane Wade XIV grabd grand grand kid.

Swiss Roll likes this.