1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Ringer / KOC] Carmelo Anthony Will Be the Ultimate Test of the Rockets System

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Will definitely listen to this. KOC has generally been very supportive of the Rockets in the past, against a lot of the irritating narratives out there.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think he is generally positive about everyone and everything in the NBA, fwiw.

Fullcourt and J Sizzle like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's why I made sure to add him in the thread title! LOL

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Interesting read, Deuce. Melo will get more open looks from 3 in our system than he's likely seen in his career, he'll have chances to score around the basket, and he'll get ISO opportunities, but he needs to buy into the system the rest of our players have bought into. Last season, he took shots a foot, a foot and a half inside the line with looks not nearly as open as what he'll get from James and Chris, but again, he needs to shoot from where we want him to shoot. He has to buy in.

We were outstanding last season and racked up 65 wins, likely more given better luck with the "i" word (mental (Ryan, obviously) and physical), but repeating myself again, like many here have, Melo has to buy into the system. He might not be as young nor as quick as he once was, but he can still be an effective asset in Houston if he buys in. Is Anthony willing to adapt? He will, or he will be history here. MDA isn't the one leaving this time.

6. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Totally agree with this. I think what also helps here is CP being his good friend, so i'm sure CP has given him the rundown of how things work here and what we need from him. We wont be relying on Melo to initiate the offens elike he tried to do in NY and sometimes in OKC last year. CP and James will get him the ball in scoring positions. I think that will work much better for him at this stage of his career. Just buy in Melo!

Remlap and kjayp like this.
  7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I think he'll have no problem trading in his long 2's for 3's. I mean everyone and their moms know that's what the Rockets do, it probably has been communicated ad nauseam between him and the Rockets. What I have doubts about is if he'll be willing to set those screens like KOC suggests regularly. He's never been known for doing the dirty work.

da_juice likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

solid read. echo's alot of whats been discussed over the last several months. key to him being of value is whether or not he buys in or not to a role

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He either will adapt or face extinction. If he can't increase his production in today's NBA this upcoming season there's no place for him on any other NBA team next summer.

da_juice and slothy420 like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

"This offense doesn't need to be fixed; it fixes players."

DreamShook, Remlap, Game7 and 5 others like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Melo thread!! this should put the Jimmy Butler thread people back in their place.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He will love our find a spot behind the three point line camp out and wait for the pass to shoot an open shot. Leave all that running to CP3 and Harden. Nice and relaxing.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Jimmy Butler thread people are the worst!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. hakeemthagreat

This is another hit job on Melo. Same talking points:

-Melo wouldn't accept his role

-Melo's a ballstopper

-Melo didn't successfully "help" Westbrook statpad enough

At no point did they ever mention Westbrooks ballstopping selfish shot selection. HE was the main reason the team under achieved. But Melo's always the easy target I guess

Remlap and tmoney1101 like this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Can’t say I disagree with any of it.

I’m cautiously optimistic that Melo will work here. I believe that it can, but it’s up to Melo buying in and depends on how much game he has left.

Melo is saying all the right things at the moment and I believe he wants this to work. Just hope having CP3 here and wanting to win a title is enough to make this a successful season for Melo and the Rockets.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

It just depends on if he’s washed or not imo. If he’s playing well he’s happy and accepts his role. If he’s not he’s jacking up bad shots or no shots at all and pouts. Here’s hoping he’s got something left in the tank.

mikol13 likes this.
  17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

For the record, posted this earlier elsewhere

Remlap likes this.
  18. BackdoorHarden

Mike D will really earn his money this year! He coached 2 great players like CP3 and Harden and they lead the way on offense. Then he had Tucker, Ariza, Luc, Cp3 to lead defense with a Defensive assistant.

This year, he will need to change 15 years veternan from playing ISO BALL

THIS AIN"T 2000 MELO!!! Don't get MIKE D fired 2 times.

19. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Well, considering that he is also a player that is and will actually be on our team might sting a little bit as well. I think Melo wants to be happy. I saw how miserable he was last year. He never got happy there and would never let go of his ego. I think he can if he is forced to by people he trusts. I never saw a team on the court in OKMe last year. I don't think he did either. If he doesn't buy in, he cost us nothing and send his ass out of here. I think this was another good gamble. There is no downside.

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Like I've been sayin... Melo is gonna have a good year...
    I think he's reached a place in his career where he knows he has to adapt - or go extinct... so he'll be more receptive to coaching than at any time prior...
    He knows this is his opportunity to shine if he hopes to make his next (and possibly last) contract a lucrative one...
    and he's playing with the guys he wants to play with - and is gonna feel an obligation to Harden and CP3 to get with the program...

it's gonna be a good year - book it! :)

...and screw 'Diva Buckets'... dont need him jacking up chemistry...