1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lee Jenkins joins Clippers front office

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Sep 17, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ter-lee-jenkins-join-la-clippers-front-office

The Los Angeles Clippers are hiring Sports Illustrated senior writer Lee Jenkins to a newly created front office position of Executive Director of Research and Identity, league sources told ESPN.

The Clippers are banking on the belief that Jenkins, one of the industry's preeminent sports journalists, can translate his talent, ethics and instincts as a storyteller and his unique study of people into the franchise's ambitious basketball pursuits.

Jenkins, 41, will be working alongside Clippers President of Basketball of Operations Lawrence Frank, general manager Michael Winger in the franchise's reshaped front office.

Jenkins has worked at Sports Illustrated for the past 11 years, with assignments that included revelatory cover stories and features on the biggest stars in the NBA.

"As a reporter, I can ask a hundred questions to a hundred people, but I could never know what really goes on behind the curtain," Jenkins told ESPN on Monday night. "The deadline. The draft. Free agency. All the strategy and gymnastics and prep work that goes into those events, but also the everyday of an organization. On a personal level, I came to the realization that no matter how many player profiles I write, I still have a ton to learn about the NBA, and the best way to learn it is through immersion.

"In our line of work, we ask questions from different angles, assemble information in different ways. We try to put it together like puzzles, until we've formed a portrait of a person. I'm going to try to bring that same process to the Clippers in hopes it will complement what their incredible group of evaluators already accomplish. This team is interested not just in what players do but who they are -- how they're wired, how they're motivated -- and that's an area I love to explore.

"But I have to be honest with myself. This is all very new and there will be trial and error. All I know for sure is that the Clippers have the tools to build one of the great sports stories, and I'm excited to contribute."

Jenkins said that he had never considered working for a professional sports team, and didn't consider the possibility of making the leap from the media until Frank and Winger approached him with the idea months ago.

"I grew up pulling for the Clippers on KTLA -- Gary Grant was my guy -- but it would be disingenuous to say that's why I'm doing this," Jenkins said. "I just think they're a great bet. So much about sports comes down to market and owner. They have the most attractive market in the league, and if they don't have the most committed owner, I don't know who does. I mean, who else but Steve Ballmer would do something like this? I'm constantly writing stories about teams that win, and when you trace their course back to the beginning, the end seems almost inevitable.

"The Clippers are in L.A. with Steve Ballmer and Jerry West, Doc Rivers and Lawrence Frank. They might have the best negotiator in the league in Michael Winger and two of the best evaluators in Trent Redden and Mark Hughes. They have a plan to create the ultimate environment for their players. I think it's inevitable."[//spoiler]

#1 J.R., Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Vivi likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/09/17/lee-jenkins-los-angeles-clippers-sports-illustrated

"Sports Illustrated called on my 30th birthday, the greatest gift of my professional life,” Jenkins says. “I was one of those kids who grew up running to the mailbox on Thursday afternoons. SI taught me to read, and then, to write. With dream jobs, reality often disappoints, but everything about SI only exceeded my imagination. I’ve worked alongside my idols, Tim Layden, Tom Verducci and S.L. Price, and with my friends, Michael Rosenberg, Chris Ballard and Greg Bishop. There is no honor in this business like sharing a page with them.

“SI remains the ultimate platform for sportswriting and I would not leave for another media outlet. But I was offered an extraordinary opportunity to work in the front office of an NBA team and see the league I cover from a different angle. I’ve been privileged to tell a lot of triumphant basketball stories over the past decade. With Steve Ballmer and Jerry West, Lawrence Frank and Michael Winger, Doc Rivers and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, I’m going to try to help build one."

“We’ve begun the process of seeking his replacement, and we look forward to the day when we assign that replacement the definitive story of how Lee Jenkins helped shape the NBA champion L.A. Clippers."

Vivi likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey misses out on another free agent. Signs Josh Innes for rookie minimum instead.

4. BackdoorHarden

Lee Jenkins? WTF. This must be a Balmer and Jerry West move to get Kawhaii. Have Jenkins write nice things about KL and sweet talk his uncle into joining the Clippers. Kind of like when Jerry West and current Warriors owner hired Bob Myers, an agent to join the Front Office. Clippers making the Warriors move.

Tilman in Financial trouble

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Clippers have a very good front office.

6. malakas

malakas Member

I liked his articles but when I see or hear him speak I immediately think serial killer. You can see some strange psycho glint in the depth of his eyes.

Well good luck Clippers!

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sounds like they hired him specifically to be media front man for Kawhi, to "dress him up" and speak for him, to comfortably surround him with cushions of eloquence.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Morey should have hired Leeroy Jenkins for Clutch Gaming

Deuce, Ziggy and don grahamleone like this.
  9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I was coming here to post this.... glad someone is on the same page

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LeRoy Jenkins. LOL, fun watching that video again. An all timer!

Lee Jenkins joining the Clippers is odd to me. Is he going to write the definitive "Kawhi joining Clippers" article?