1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marquese Chriss as an NBA player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Aug 31, 2018.

?

How do you feel about Chriss' potential to develop into a good NBA player?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Not good - no hope of developing into a good player.

24 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. He's meh - small chance he develops into a good player.

102 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Not sure - 50/50 chance he develops into a good player.

120 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. He's decent - decent chance that he develops into a good player.

114 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. He's good - he will definitely develop into a good player.

30 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

How do you feel about Marquese Chriss as a player in this league? I specify "as a player" because for the sake of this convo I don't want to take into consideration the tradeability of his contract. I just want to get CF's pulse on whether or not we believe he can be a good player for us.

I will regretfully start things out negatively by choosing "Not good"

I don't see it with him. I think his limitations are too much to overcome. Someone could reasonably say that I am being ridiculous here since Chriss is so young and has only been playing competitively for a few years (per his 2016 DraftExpress profile), but that is how I feel based off what I've seen (not much) and read. I wish him the best of course and I hope I am wrong, but I don't see him developing into a good NBA player.

craguin, da_juice and TheRealAllpro like this.
  2. rocketseagles07

Look @ how javale looked with gs in comparison to everywhere else. Chriss is a boneheaded like javale, he’s also more talented and just as good of an athlete. I’m not thrilled about him as a top pick but as a guy who can come off the bench and run pick and roll with CP3 I like it.

Overall the trade is meh, ryno is gone but I like chriss’ potential

3. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Dumb as fork, low basketball IQ, physically attractive.

Just like the typical type of lotto bust that Morey willing to bet on.

You just hope the law of average will finally come to Morey's favor this time around.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

But then again, how do you see Tarik Black?

As long as Chriss will contribute more than Tarik Black, what is wrong about him then?

6. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Chriss has the talent.

The question is whether or not he is motivated to work on his game and become a team player.
    All of the knocks on him were regarding his attitude and basketball IQ.

Based on his salary, if Chriss gives averages 10 points and 5 rebounds in 20 minutes a game as a backup center behind Capela, you have to be happy with Chriss' contribution. Considering all the lobs that Chris Paul and James Harden will be throwing his way, 10 points and 5 rebounds is not an unreasonable expectation. Furthermore, you don't have to have a high basketball IQ to play the pick n' roll and catch lob passes.

Between Capela and Chriss, that is 48 minutes of solid defense and the center position.

As a bonus, if Chriss can give you a block a game, play solid defense and can switch on defense, you have to be happy with his contribution.

Red Chocolate, Elephant810 and D-rock like this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think he'll end up being a TRob type, hopefully he can spot Capela for some minutes. That's the best case scenario.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The new Thomas Robinson

desi tmac91 likes this.
  9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Reminds me of Josh Smith in both the good (body, game) and bad (IQ) ways. I think playing with HOF IQ players like Harden, CP3, and Melo will help this kid tremendously by osmosis. He never had that in PHX, team was a bunch of kids watching Booker chuck it up. He will be as good as Josh Smith was for us but better since he's only 21 y/o. I'm on the record, dude is a diamond in the rough and Morey did it again!

10. gotsis

gotsis Member

Seems really athletic. Hope he can be become a 15min backup type player for capela

Lawlruschang and D-rock like this.
  11. craguin

craguin Member

[AZcentral.com - Feb 3, 2018]:
    Suns forward Marquese Chriss will miss Sunday's game against the Charlotte Hornets for a "rules violation," according to General Manager Ryan McDonough.

ESPN reported that Chriss will be suspended one game for a "verbal altercation" with the team's strength coach following Friday's 129-97 loss to the Utah Jazz. The argument was over a postgame routine Chriss is supposed to do, ESPN said.

Neither McDonough nor interim coach Jay Triano would talk specifically about the incident.

But Triano said Chriss is not suspended. McDonough said Chriss is being given a "cooling off" period. Asked if Chriss has been fined, McDonough said, "We're handling all of that internally."

Chriss was not at Saturday's practice.

"He's a good kid who had a bad moment," McDonough said. "We look forward to seeing him Monday morning and turning the page."

"It's a violation of team rules," Triano added. "We're going to keep it in house. We're not discussing it any more and we've dealt with it."

D-rock likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This is another gamble in the lines of Thomas Robinson and Hasheem Thabeet but I think the players, coaches and system we have now are more capable to extract more out of Chriss than the previous eras/regimes did with either Robinson or Thabeet.

I made the comment that Chriss could look like the second coming of Amare in the trade thread and I'm going to stand with that--the tools are all there it's just a matter of finding opportunity for him to play alongside CP3 and/or Harden. It's not impossible if you look at Capela and see that he wouldn't be the player he is now without playing with Harden and also in D'Antoni's system.

Red Chocolate, Possum, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

If he works out well: Carl Landry from his 09- 10 Rockets days.
    If he's a bust: Thomas Robinson

amaru likes this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Better than Thomas Robinson when we traded for him.

I hear Chriss is immature, lacks a motor and has a low basketball IQ so I guess Terrance Williams 2.0? We'll see what CP and Harden can do to help him grow as a player.

Red Chocolate and amaru like this.
  15. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

THICC?

amaru and MrButtocks like this.
  16. rocketseagles07

I’m not high on chriss, but he’s better than t rob even with his issues

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not good

Team option likely not picked up and possibly waived after the trade deadline, if not traded.

craguin likes this.
  18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Roy Rogers would F this punk up if he tried that here. GUARANTEED

Joshfast and napalm06 like this.
  19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Everyone keeps saying he will be a good pnr lob threat but the numbers say he is horrible at being the roll man. He scores at .89ppp as the roll man. That's not good. This play action is also a low percentage of the shots hes taken, when in reality it should be the majority.

Everyone keeps saying he can shoot the 3, but the numbers say he is horrible. He shoots 30% with the high majority of of his shots having 6+ft of space. That's not good. Even worse is he is worse from the corners than above the break. Not a good sign. And actually, the overall majority of his shot attempts are jump shots rather than dunks or lobs, which isnt good because he isnt a good jump shooter.

Everyone talks about his defensive potential because of his athleticism but the numbers are quite polar. He protects the rim decently and the further you get out the worse it gets. And his 3pt def% seems to indicate hes horrible on the perimeter.

I have always believed he just isnt that good nor smart and that's how it has looked.

That being said.

He was in Phoenix with bad coaching, a bad structure and locker room. Project bigs usually take until their 3rd year (this season) to figure things out. Not only that but we have a great staff and locker to hopefully help him improve.

Not to mention, since he appears to have a low bball IQ, a switch everything defense is beneficial and we could see a solid jump. It helps limit mistakes and lost rotations. This hopefully helps his perimeter defense.

He also has never played with a quality facilitator at all. Hardly even an average one. Being paired with harden and cp3 who are both elite, he could vastly improve as a roll man.

Tl;dr - he sucks, has sucked but our system and players provide the perfect opportunity to help him hopefully mature into a decent player at the same time project bigs typically make their leap.

Cautiously omptimistic.

#20 BigMaloe, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    photojoe, Why not?, Possum and 14 others like this.