1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ReWatching 2011 finals right now

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hakeem94, Aug 15, 2018.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Its fun and insightful

Caesar likes this.
  2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Wtf, are you a Mavs fan? GTFO

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

I was rooting for Dallas so hard that series.

4. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

Back when the finals were fun to watch for me. I can remember more iconic moments from that series from the top of my head, than I can from any moments from the last 2 finals. I hate the mavs, but boy did I hate the idea of super star team up way more.

5. theimpossibles1

6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

WTF???

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

My body is ready for this thread to blow up.

Real talk, though - it wasn't hard to root for Dirk, that year.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Thunder were the number 1 team I rooted for in that year's playoffs. How has time changed!

peleincubus and hakeem94 like this.
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Some thoughts:

Online NBA stat heads gave the Mavs a nil chance to win the series.

After game 1, I remember thinking if the Heat played defense like that the entire series, Mavs had no chance. But I doubted they could maintain the effort.

In the first round, the Mavs went up 2-0 against the Blazers. This was when Brandon Roy's knees were shot and he wasn't even a starter. In games 3 and 4, he turned back the clock and erupted on the Mavs. They evened the series 2-2. Game 4 was one of the most unbelievable playoff comebacks I've watched in my life. After the Mavs finished them off 4-2, I remember thinking the mental toughness they gained beating the Blazers could make them a tough out in later rounds.

In the 2nd round, Mavs swept the Lakers. It made me so happy to see the Lakers humiliated, I gave the Mavs a pass through the rest of the playoffs and was OK with them beating OKC in the WCFs. I was a HUGE KD fan at the time and followed OKC very closely.

IIRC, in the WCFs, OKC had sizable 4th quarter leads in all 5 games but couldn't score when the Mavs locked them down on defense. The one exception was when Harden erupted and took over with WB on the bench. However, WB almost single-handedly threw the game late with a string of bizarre TOs that left people shaking their head.

For some weird reason, I have a clear memory of every single WC playoff series that year. One thing most everyone can remember was the Grizzlies deliberating tanking to #8 and beating the #1 Spurs in the 1st round. Shane Battier hit the go-ahead 3 late in game 1 and the Spurs just could not snag a win in Memphis.

Those were the days when I inhaled 2+ hours of NBA action every night. The lockout that summer and shortened season following cured my harmful NBA addiction (not joking).

da_juice, plutoblue11 and hakeem94 like this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

That year when somebody asked me, "who I was going for in the finals?"

My answer was, "Im not watching, I hate both teams, I hope a terrorist group flies a 747 into AAC or AAA."

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I didn’t get to watch that series because I was overseas at the time and damn waking up at 2am to watch the Mavs. I have no idea how the heat managed to **** that up

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yesterday i was watching games 4 and started game 5..deshavn stevenson was ballin then he got hurt and some bald white guy called Cardinal that shoots 3s and hustles got some minutes vs lebron

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

today i rewatched wcf 2011 game 5... my god it was very insightful...
    1 westbrook playing off the ball destroying dallas
    2 harden being favorite player of van gundy and him and jackson non stop calling to make harden playmaker because good things happen
    3 a spicy detail, jason terry did the same thing to westbrook that beverley did to him, westbrook reacting by pushing tery out of bounds with the ball -got technical

#13 hakeem94, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    plutoblue11 likes this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Coach Bonehead of OKC held Harden back because he didn't want to upset the pecking order. Idiot.

da_juice likes this.
  15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

N
    Not a popular sentiment, but Westbrook would be a much better player off the ball. If OKC had point guard or shooting guard to run the offense, I think it would take the load off of Russ and cut down on some of his questionable plays.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Trivia time: What team was the NBA's, league-wide, #1 seed that year?

Da Bulls

62-20

17. buffalobills!!!

I totally forgot. Haha. >.< Shows how much they did in the playoffs

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

watching game 4 of that series right now, they were up by 15 with 5 minutes to go, and harden fouled out, the game went to OT

jevjnd likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

man this dallas team has played some fine basketball