1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam Silver's tenure thus far

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The_Yoyo, Jun 18, 2018.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Its been a little over 4 years since Adam Silver has taken over for David Stern as the commissioner of the NBA. Out of curiosity what are everyone's thoughts on how he has done thus far. How they feel compared to when David Stern was the commissioner.

Some of the changes/accomplishments since Silver took over of note:

• Banned and removed an owner of a NBA Team (Sterling) for conduct detrimental to the league's image, standards, branding etc. forcing the sale of the franchise.
    • Moved NBA All-Star game away from Charlotte in 2017 due to the state's law that discriminated people of the LGBT community
    • Started to release publicly last 2 minutes report of calls in close games. The parameters of the report was changed I believe last season to make it only games that were 6 points and under (i think) instead of 10 points and under.
    • Changed format of all-star game from the traditional Conferences to having Team Captains and selecting players
    • All-star game starters are no longer selected solely on fan vote but a combination of fan vote, media votes and player votes.
    • Implemented this past season a point system for officials in the playoffs so only officials with the highest scores move on to the later stages of the playoffs and then the finals.
    • Created the NBA Awards program to had out the league's season awards much like a standard awards ceremony (like the Oscars/ESPYs etc)
    • Set the start date to the NBA season two weeks earlier in October to limit the number of back to backs and 4 games in 5 nights teams had to play.
    • Changed a few of the in game rules, such as the replay review parameters, continuation rules, the "james harden" rule for jump shooters.
    • NBA played regular season games in Mexico.
    • Nike being new manufacturer of on court apparel made new jerseys and eliminated traditional Home/Away colors
    • Sponsorship ads on jerseys
    Edits to the list:
    • The change to lottery ball odds that starts next year -- beginning of tanking reform
    • Two-way player contracts ... gives teams new ways to pay/develop players
    • Massive reform to Restricted Free Agency that basketballholic predicted to punish teams for their dirty dealings that didn't allow DMo to Get Paid and Yule C to happen

(these are the ones off the top of my head please feel feel to add more if I missed any)

Personally speaking I think Silver has done worse than Stern. Removing Sterling and moving the ASG game due to North Carolina's law I think were slam dunks in Silver's favor. Everything else though I feel he has done has eroded fan confidence in the game. The Awards show is beyond stupid, the ref point system was not transparent at all and we had what people considered universally as horrible refs (Foster, Brothers etc) reffing the conference finals and NBA Finals game.

One thing that bothers me about Silver is that he has allowed (at least IMO) outside corporations have too much influence on the league such as the jersey ads and then Nike switching up the types of jerseys teams wear. The awards show is another opportunity for the league to make money. The earlier rounds of the playoffs were stretched out to maximize TV ratings while the later rounds were much more impacted (conference finals having games every other day) when they probably should have been stretched out a bit longer. Stern was all about the money but he seemed to do his best to keep the "integrity" of the game somewhat intact.

I like that Silver is trying to do new things but I think some of the things are a bit too drastic and may fall into the "if its not broke why fix it" category. The L2M report is not bad, but it doesn't really do anything. What consequences are there for refs who may have gotten a call wrong? Can a team go back and protest and replay a game? Nope its just an admission but we cant really do anything. Add in Van Gundy's revelation that the league actually tracks the entire game's calls and has a report but just releases the last two. If there is nothing to be done then the league should release the entire game. (Though I feel that if they did fans would analyze each report and be able to back up ref preferences, biases etc from all the data which probably becomes problematic)

The officiating hasn't gotten any more transparent despite the promise made by the Silver administration, if anything player and ref relations are at an all time worst. Many fans and media alike probably felt we've seen the worst ref "influence" since the 2002 WCF this past playoffs in the WCF. Much was talked about the ref point system but I didn't see anything about how the refs were scored, what individual ref scores were and how these refs were advancing.

Overall I think the league has gotten a bit worse with all these changes under Silver. I wish things were kept the way they were in regards to the L2M report (if nothing becomes of it then it becomes more of a salt in wounds seeing the admission of incorrect calls), all star game voting and team selection, awards and the jerseys kept as a home/away/alternate instead of all the different variations. I do like starting the season earlier to give players more rest during the season though.

It will be interesting to see how things proceed especially with the debate of the "1 and done" rule coming up and the on going rule review and changes.

What are your thoughts?

#1 The_Yoyo, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

David Stern was OG

At the TNT show in Vegas, nobody even knew or cared about Silver , he could walk around without being bothered.

David Stern, that guy has swag , he's like Ric Flair

Madeinchin4, BigShasta and bulkatron like this.
  3. tzou88

tzou88 Member

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

5. tinman

Supporting Member

JVL713 likes this.
  6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I'm OK with Silver, but how he deals with refereeing will make or break his tenure for me. His point system is nonsense if it allows garbage refs like Tony Brothers and Scott Foster to officiate playoff games.

htownrox1, slothy420, Handles and 4 others like this.
  7. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Until he fixes this trash officiating, he trash like stern was.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@The_Yoyo thanks for the list

Off the top of my head notable things to add
    • The change to lottery ball odds that starts next year -- beginning of tanking reform
    • Two-way player contracts ... gives teams new ways to pay/develop players

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All owners care about in grading him is the next cable package and more franchises getting sold for more than $2 billion.

pippendagimp likes this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Stern was arrogant, and the refs were just as bad as they are now. However I don't think the NBA would have auctioned J. R. Smith's jersey from Game 1 of the NBA Finals under Stern.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Adam Silver wasted prime years of his sports most marketable superstar ever.

How can you sell a GOAT when he's getting swept in the Finals?

This will a huge stain on Silver's legacy and will never go away.

Somewhere David Stern his laughing diabolically while smoking a cigar with his man Jordan.

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

There are people who have a positive opinion of Silver? that's baffling to me (unless you're a warriors fan then you should be worshiping the ground he walks on)

13. Asian Sensation

Warriorsss!

[​IMG]

Boki4MvP and tinman like this.
  14. The_Yoyo

You're right will add that in forgot all about the new lottery odds. I like the two way contracts actually I think it gives teams additional flexibility with rosters while potentially give a shot to a player that may not have gotten one other wise.

I am still mixed on the lotto reform, time will tell on how effective the new changes may be in deterring blatant tanking for teams.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

The LeBron charge call switch in the NBA Finals would NEVER HAPPEN under the Stern Era.

Stern will ALWAYS want the games to go to 7 and will ALWAYS give his biggest star the benefit of the doubt

Asian Sensation likes this.
  16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Silver has been a great commissioner so far. It isn't his fault that the NBAPA wanted all of the TV money at once and created a one-time bubble that gave Golden State enough cap space to sign Kevin Durant. However, I think Silver must recognize that the Warriors pose an existential threat to the league's growth. The NBA is in a great spot with marketable stars and more popularity than ever. However, if fans start to view that each season is a foregone conclusion, I wouldn't be surprised if people stop watching.

Ultimately, I think he will get a team in Seattle and correct Stern's biggest mistake.

#16 mtbrays, Jun 18, 2018
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I liked the very smooth dealings in the last CBA talks to settle it way before any possible lockout

Not sure if you wanted to include CBA stuff (since I consider that beyond just the commish), but here's my Notable CBA changes that affect trades/free agency the most
    • New SnT rules that don't allow Luxury Tax teams to receive a player in SnT, nor does player get paid same as if he stayed with incumbent team
    • Hard caps for use of full MLE and receiving player in SnT
    • Easier to obtain SuperMax deals for players who stay with their drafted team
    • Easier salary matching rules for Trades (i.e. Larger percentages for matching)

• And don't forget the Massive reform to Restricted Free Agency that basketballholic predicted to punish teams for their dirty dealings that didn't allow DMo to Get Paid and Yule C to happen

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Silver has been just okay. Two major stains for me is that the officiating has seemingly gotten worse under his tenure, and home teams wearing road uniforms are annoying AF.

AXG and Asian Sensation like this.
  19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'd like to see a summary of David Stern's most influential milestone decisions just like the one's above for Silver. Such as the "Basketball Reasons" veto that had an effect on the league and it's future for the past decade. (I imagine we would never have a chance at CP3 if he were in control of Laker land to this day)

Would be easier to compare and contrast apples to apples in terms of what necessary decisions were made by Stern as opposed to what "lets see what happens when we do this" decisions he made throughout his tenure.

Edit: Here's a good article of the top 7 (idk why it's only 7) decisions/changes Stern made while under comission. "Basketball Reasons" made #2 on the list, while the Tim Donaghy "lone wolf" incident was #1... I still question how legitimate it is that he was the only referee that was betting on NBA games.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...david-sterns-reign-as-nba-commissioner#slide7

#19 FLASH21, Jun 18, 2018
  20. The_Yoyo

I didnt want to includes those since the CBA is a both on his end and the players association agreeing on these changes and not necessarily just something his administration implemented.