1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA before Game 4: "Let's get up 55 threes tonight"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, May 24, 2018.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Gotta love it!!

cbs1507, whiskeyred, FLASH21 and 4 others like this.
  2. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

What a solemn post game locker room speech by Kerr.....

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I really dont like MDA... he just says so many things that are counterproductive or just flat out wrong....
    "All the pressure is on the Warriors" MDA before game 4 - any wonder we fell down 12-0 to open if thats the message you're conveying? Thank God we came back...

Rather than deciding you want to get up 55 3s tonight... howabout you look at what the defense is throwing at you first, and decide what is going to be the most advantageous route... teach your guys to read the d - not go in with a preconceived agenda - other than winning! lol

End of game 4 was really stupid... obviously u miss the second free throw (preferably off the back iron) and let the last .5 seconds expire as the ball bobbles around or they heave it up from the opposite end of the court... you dont make the shot and let them take it out, advance it to the other end of the court and get a good look at a game tying 3....

I hate to be 'that guy' with negativity and complaints about our team... but when i see stupidity from somebody in charge... it really pisses me off - and MDA constantly says stuff that is just stupid... lol

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

MDA & Harden pre game talk.

[​IMG]

ryano2009, juanm34, cbs1507 and 8 others like this.
  5. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Well our players like him and respond to him unlike any coach since Rudy, so that's all that matters :)

6. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

I never looked at this team as having middle linebackers lol I like him saying it though.

7. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I think the miss ft thing is overstated. Had CP3 hit the first one then, yeah, sure. But considering he missed it... That second make was a must have. Lets say he tried missing but didnt get any rim and the warriors get to advance the ball while we only have a 2 point lead and no time comes off because it is a violation and a dead ball...then what? They could then win the game with a 3 while they have 3 all world 3 point shooters on one team. Now THAT would have been stupid, no?

8. kjayp

I think he is well liked, but I think you are overstating... They weren't responding to him as last season ended... Considering Mchale was an idiot but got us to the WCF, with a lesser roster, I'd say he got guys responding - until they didnt - lol... RA and JVG got better results than their rosters should have...
    I attribute much of the focus and unity to CP3....
    I'm not saying MDA isn't a decent coach - he's prob better than average... but he has room for improvement...

#8 kjayp, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  9. Mr. Space City

10. kjayp

It's all about %s... what % of the time does CP3 throw up an air ball from the ft line? If CP3 is shooting for back iron, I gotta believe the odds on him throwing up an air ball are .000001 or less -lol. Otoh, Curry gets a makeable 3... You gotta follow the plan that offers the best odds of being successful - this is a team built on analytics...
    It's easy to say the minutia doesn't matter - until it does...

dkim1984 likes this.
  11. SS0101

SS0101 Member

You ever shot a FT? It is pretty hard to "try" and miss. An air ball isnt all that is necessary either. If it hit backboard only and no rim then it is a violation. I dont think there is any instance you intentionally miss a FT when only up 2 points.

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Why did D'Antoni say the pressure wasn't on the Rockets? It's not because his statement was true. It wasn't true. He said it because he believed his team would play better if the coach didn't say the pressure was on them. And he was right.

13. MyLateRegistration

Wrong. "By making the second you make sure you don't lose the game if they make a 3 and also force them to take the 3 and not just a lob pass or a quick mid range."

Do you think CP3 a wizard to just do that ****?

rocketman84 and hakeem94 like this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

uhh it's definitely not 0.00001 percent. You do know that Harden airballed on a a free throw this season right when he was suppose to miss it. I've see plenty of players around the league air ball these or accidentally score.

If he scores it there's also 0% chance warriors can win it with a 3, so take that for analytics

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

45 not 55. Just sayin'.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you are reaching and nitpicking now...its probably nerves due to a close start of an important game...there are 1001 aspects to the coaching... no coach is checking all the boxes all the time...realistically dantoni is coach of the year making cp3 and harden combo work(something almost nobody believed could work), securing 1st seed a month in advance( something nobody in the nba foresaw), who is on the verge of beating the best team of all times with this limited and banged up roster going against nba refs and adam silver

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the pressure was on the worriers.. i dont know how you dont get it...dantoni was right

adw likes this.
  18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I dont think you understand the type of relationship dantoni has with his players. Hes not a military drill sergeant or a disciplinarian.

As to the missed free throw, it can be hard to miss a free throw on purpose while also hitting the rim. If cp3 missed the rim then its warriors ball down 2 and warriors advance the ball with their timeout.

With .5 seconds a lob is far more likely and possible than putting up a 3. Curry couldnt even get it off in time

Emtenndo, joshuaao and adw like this.
  19. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Every coach has room for improvement, just like players.

I don't think it was lack of responding, it was lack of talent around Harden and him wearing down last year and MDA's 1st year with Harden etc. That Mchale stuff was a dang fluke and joke by the Clippers. When you have Harden sitting on a bench, fully healthy Clips team and players like Josh Smith and Corey Brewer owning you... that says more about the other teams pathetic showing. It haunts CP3 to this day. I'll give McFail props for playing the hot hands when he needed to that series. Though Harden got sick of his ass pretty quickly and he allowed Dwert to destroy a team behind the scenes, so clearly that should tell you something about him as a coach.

RA and JVG might have gotten better results than they should have with their rosters. but what do we have to show from it? Injuries screwed us obviously more than not, but when we had health the star players couldn't get out of the 1st rounds. That's on the players and "coaches"

I attribute it to CP3 and Harden "growing up more" 2nd year of MDA and MDA came here willing to let someone coach D. We didnt win the last game cause of O, we won cause this team is being preached to play D and shoot a **** ton of 3's. Its on the players to play the D and play with "FORCE" I don't take a random soundbites of MDA and interviews and judge the teams performance or him based on that. He's got us and these players 2 games away from the NBA finals against what everyone in the world thinks is the best team ever created *well besides us Rockets fans :p

SO PROPS TO MDA!

Btw I liked RA/JVG (still like Gundy), but I will never say I liked McFail.

ashleyem, kjayp and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

its not obviously. just bc thats what you would do doesn't make the ending of game 4 wrong. in the worst case scenario, the rockets still dont lose. you make the shot and trust the defense that got them there.

there isn't a coach out there thats from top to bottom perfect. this team fits as well as it should with MDA and vice versa. at the end of the day thats exactly what you need to win and results do support that with this team

kjayp and adw like this.