1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden leads the playoffs in Deflections, 3rd in Lose Ball Recovered

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James.B.H, May 23, 2018.

1. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Per nba.com: http://stats.nba.com/players/hustle...otals&sort=DEFLECTIONS&dir=1&PlayerPosition=G

Also 3rd in total box outs among guards.

Besides, after G3 in the WCF, Harden's defense points allowed per possession is better than 67% of the players in the league.

To me, all these hustle stats show that Harden played much harder than lots of Clutchfans give him credit for. Moreover, his defense is not as bad as many of you have claimed. Sometimes when he loses his focus, he can have horrendous defensive plays, the Livingston dunk in transition for example, that looks extremely bad by eye test. However, if you analyze his defense on a play by play basis and look at the stats, he is an about average defender. His effort level on defense isn't that bad either, although occasionally he can go completely M.I.A.

I really hope Rockets fans can give him more love, after all he is going to be(or already is) the second best Rockets ever.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Too bad he's fat and lazy.

That's minus two draft picks that would've been on the table.

BigMaloe, Zboy and Stormy1234 like this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Shameless self promo.

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

MVP

Reeko and rocks123 like this.
  5. dlite316

dlite316 Member

6. threepointshot3

Any objectively speaking Person can see harden has been much improved on defense

Nook and Patience like this.
  7. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

James Harden's defense made Durant looking silly last night.

8. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

His defense has definitely improved. The bar was pretty low yes, but it was better in the regular season and a notch higher than that lately. Good to see.

saleem likes this.
  9. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I noticed this too.

Harden while mechanically is not a seasoned defender, his focus and effort were there. I was impressed.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm re-watching Game 4. During the 12-0 run by GSW to start the game, Harden was pretty good defensively. He got lost on a switch that got Curry a 3, but that was pretty much it. I was distracted by how passive he was on offense to start the game, I didn't notice he was focused on defense from the start. Harden had a few slip ups (losing Klay twice for 5 points the most egregious), but was solid defensively for pretty much the whole game.

Furthermore, GG was really good on defense too. His box of +14 in only 12 minutes was not a fluke. His bad shots were distracting me from how dialed in he was on defense.

If Harden can remain this dialed in on defense AND score 30, Rockets can do this..

Deuce, Kim, Nook and 4 others like this.
  11. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Too bad the media wont address this feat dont they?
    Media conspiracy ;)

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Heresy !! Poster sh be baned from the board. Harden is lazy on defense and if he just tried harder he would be just as quick as Curry. No need to mention that Curry can't guard Harden, but that is ok since he is would if he was just bigger and stronger.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Breaking News: Christopher Paul has taught Jim Harden how to have heart

Amirite?

Nimo, Nook and FLASH21 like this.
  14. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

For Harden, all I care about is him staying in front of his man on the perimeter, which is what he did in Game 4.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He definitely puts in a ton more effort these days.

Its still a bit perplexing how he can be so bad laterally on defense. Don't get me wrong, Steph can get by most people if he's hot from 3.

But for such a smart, savvy high IQ offensive player, I would have thought James would have recognized his lateral weakness by now and figured out "tactics" on how to limit his weakness.

Neither here nor there at this point, though. He's definitely trying harder. And frankly, even if efficient in plays, the more GSW purposefully try to play ISO ball and target someone, the better.

Kim likes this.
  17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

But he got burnt just as much as usual because his lateral foot speed just isn’t quick enough. The only difference was he was Much much better at getting right up in the players space and cramping the ballhandler.

On switches and rotations, he was playing with “force” and being physical. He was absolutely cramping players space.

Hakeemtheking, Kim and Nook like this.
  18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Whatever it takes to keep his man in front is fine with me.

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

They still attack him more than any other player. If Trevor Ariza was getting iso'd on D most of the time, he'd arguably have more strips and deflections .

I love Harden, but he's our weak link, and that's fine because we have very strong links elsewhere. He just needs to perform more like game 4 defensively than game 1. There was a major difference, one that I'd argue is greater than the offensive efficiency differential he had in those games.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

They shot 60% against him in Game 3
    44% against him in Game 4