1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If LeBron James is so great, why does he have to change teams and stack the deck with superstars

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Houston112, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Houston112

Houston112 Member

If you watch the nba tv network, and espn religiously like i do when it comes to the NBA. Im sure you have heard the saying... "LeBron is the best player on the planet"

My question is why are we suppose to just accept that as fact, many in the media are saying that LeBron had his greatest year in the league this past season, because he played all 82 games. And led the league in minutes played. That has to be the dumbest analogy to vote someone for mvp i have ever heard of. Especially when Harden in 2015 and 2017 was better than LeBron this past year.

Why does LeBron have to join other great players, and not be critisized. their is talk of him joining philly, the lakers with kawhi, and even the rockets. I mean, wtf this is supposed to be the best player in the league. You dont see this in any other sport where the numero uno leaves his pad to join other all-stars or all-pros, and still keeps his title of best player in the league

This is why i feel Curry and Harden are the two best players in the game. I mean to me Durant has been overrated since his foot injury, he doesnt get to line nearly enough anymore. and he is not a good passer. I'll put it too you like this, KD could not do what Harden did in 2015 or 2017 with the cast Harden had around him

LeBron is just like flashier westbrook with better intangibles who has had the luxury of playing mediocre eastern confernce teams all his career. And harden still wins more games than him, I honestly cant even remmeber the last time Harden lost to Lebron in a head to head matchup

#1 Houston112, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I agree, and lets not forget he is playing in the leastern conference while harden is playing in perhaps the toughest division of the west throughout the years

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

LeBron's goal is to win multiple titles.

Winning multiple titles requires being surrounded by great talent.

Choosing to play without great talent kinda goes against the goal of winning multiple titles.

How many players can you name that won more than one title when they weren't on arguably the most talented team in basketball? If your list is small, which it will be, then how can you knock someone for wanting great talent when it's clearly required to win multiple titles?

4. ballscientist1

My opinion:

Harden is a better player than LeBron. The reason LeBron has more playoffs success is that his team spends $50 million (or more) more than Warriors each year the past 3 years. (2005, 2006, 2007).

If LeBron's team spends only 35 million more than average salary teams, his team looks like an average team.

His team needs to spend a huge money in order to be a great team.

#4 ballscientist1, Apr 25, 2018
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lebron is not the most lethal player, he was the most skilled and versatile player, on both ends.

His skillset needs Allstar players around him.

Harden is the better scorer, that's easy to admit.

Lebron started in an era previous to that of Harden.

da_juice likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lebron is simply chasing a championship organization.

If Lebron would have been drafter by the Spurs he'd have been a Spur for life. Do you blame a player for holding NBA front offices responsible?

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Is durant really that good?

He’s always been surrounded by elite mvp level talent?

I’ve thought this recently because of the gsw looking not that dominate with him as the focal point and similarly in okc when Russ was out.

But of course he is. You have to judge a sole player by his sole attributes and contributions.

Same with lebron. Lebron is #2 all time and debatable to be #1. It’s not just because of good teams and media hype

#7 BigMaloe, Apr 25, 2018
    BigO and jevjnd like this.
  8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Its the NBA you need more than one star to win. When was the last time a team won with only one major star? You could say the 2011 Mavs with Dirk but guys like Kidd, Marion though a bit past their prime were still all-star level players and Chandler and Terry were borderline all-star guys at the time (or in their prime) so the drop off from Dirk to the 2nd/3rd/4th level type guys wasn't a huge gap.

The 94 Rockets with Hakeem could be the last team that truly did it with one major guy only, but even OT had been an all-star in the recent past (though he wasnt a multiple time all-star like Kidd and Marion) but even the Rockets that year went up against the Knicks who really just had one star themselves in Ewing.

The league is too talented to just have one person be able to beat a team. The power teams in the 80s, LA, Philly, Boston Houston were all talented with multiple all-star level players if not HOF level players. In the 90s the Bulls, Jazz, Spurs and at least the 95 Rockets had multiple all-star/HOF players. The 00 Lakers, Spurs, Heat, Celtics and Pistons all did too. Only difference is maybe the Piston may not have had that "generational talent" on their team but they had 4 all-stars.

LeBron for the majority of his youth leading into his prime had no other help at all. Jordan got Pippin early in his career, Kobe had Shaq (and other notable all-star guys in Van Exel and Jones) his rookie year. The Cavs management really messed up the early 20s for LeBron, if people feel the Pels were doing AD wrong prior to last season, it was far worse for LeBron. They kept trading for big names (Ben Wallace, Jamison, Shaq) that were well past their prime with large contracts. I mean James was out there competing and leading those cavs to 50 or 60 plus wins with the likes of Jamario Moon, Mo Williams, Boobie Gibson etc. It was the same for Garnett who was a constant first round exit despite his amazing talent. It wasn't until he got two other guys in Sprewell and Cassell he was able to get the wolves to the WCF.

Its a team sport, but in the end its probably the one team sport where one player can make or break a franchise's fortunes, but there are still 4 other guys on the court with that one guy. If the Cavs management were half way competent (i mean not being able to trade multiple consecutive future picks was put into place because of the Cavs! and this was long before LeBron was drafted) I do believe LeBron probably would have not left Cleveland and they would have probably won a ring in the late 00s.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Superstars can't win titles alone in today's NBA. No matter how great they are. They need additional star talent along side them.

Everyone salivates on Curry, but if he didn't have Green/Thompson/KD around him, where would he be? If LeBron did not have Bosh/Wade or Love/Kyrie, where would he be? How about KD? KD+Russ+Harden couldn't get it done. He had to join Curry's crew.

Harden, FINALLY at least NOW has someone in CP to give him a CHANCE.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why do we have to compare LeBron with Harden? Harden has been great for about 3 years. LeBron has been great for more than a decade.

I am not a LeBron fan because of his flakiness. But let's face it, he has one of the best careers of all time. All that "leastern" conference things is just hate excuses. He had to beat the best western conference team to win three titles. He might not have reached the Finals as many times if he spent his whole career in the west. But if you think he could not have the same kind of impact playing in the west, you are delusional.

Now maybe I am old school. I do hate the superfriends teams started by him and some others. I'll hate it if CP3 and Harden are going about it this coming off season, even if it meant benefiting the Rockets. LeBron and Durant are some of the flakiest superstars I've ever seen. Maybe this is what it is with this generation of players.

daywalker02 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Being the best player and wanting to play on a better team do not have an inverse relationship.

12. Yaaz y2k

Yaaz y2k Member

LEBRON IS ONLY GREAT TO THESE KIDS NOW A DAYS....PEOPLE WATCHING NBA SINCE 90`S KNOW LEBRON IS A GOOD SIDEKICK AND I WOULD SAY HE WOULD HAVE BEEN A SCOTIE PIPPEN IN 90`S...

lw17 likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, LeBron left the Cavs because management failed him. And he left the Heat because management failed him. And he likely will leave Cleveland again because management failed him. Management being Owner+GM. The TREND is obvious.

I am not saying LeBron is going to come to Houston, BUT, if he does, I DON'T see "management (Tilman+Morey)" failing him. For what it is worth.

14. Yaaz y2k

Yaaz y2k Member

LEBRON IS NO OLAJUWON ,JORDAN OR KOBE...AFTER THESE THREE I CANT REMEMBER A 1 START TEAM THAT WON A CHAMPIONSHIP...KOBE WON WITH SIDEKICK LIKE GASOL...OLAJUWAON WON WITH ACTUALLY NO SIDE KICK IN 94 THE DREXLER IN 95 ...JORDAN DID 6 IN ROW WITH PIPPEN...

Exiled and lw17 like this.
  15. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

At first, I didn't like LeBron going to Miami. But he became the leader of that team. He basically just wanted superstars beside him to support a few championships.

I like players who want to be the man. LeBron did it, but he wanted help. Curry did it, although he never switched teams. Harden wanted to be the man, so he came to Houston. Durant joining the team who beat him the previous year to play alongside Curry is not okay with me.

16. Yaaz y2k

Yaaz y2k Member

LEBRON IS DONE....KING JAMES LIVES IN HTOWN NOW...

17. Asian Sensation

Because he’s smarter than you.

He’s 33 years old and he’s put in his work as being the alpha dog and best player in the league for the last decade or so. His current Cavs roster is trash and he doesn’t have time to wait around for that pick to develop. He knows his time as the best player in the league is dwindling by the day and some think it’s passed. Why not set yourself up to be in a position where you can win more rings instead of struggling to carry a team like he’s trying to do now.

cheke64 likes this.
  18. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

The Warriors, that's why.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I will say this though - this more recent Cavs management failing him was probably more due to LeBron having "his guys" paid.

But look at the guys the Cavs drafted after LeBron left with the high picks they had:

Kyrie (kind of the no brainer selection at #1)
    Dion Waiters
    Tristan Thompson
    Anthony Bennett
    Andrew Wiggins

If LeBron never came back to Cleveland that would be the core the Cavs would be working with right now potentially. That core is probably first round exit at its ceiling.

Miami had better structure, but they too started to lose players for nothing to keep their tax bill low. Early on I do not believe Miami management failed LeBron (again how much did Riley/Arison really do to put Bosh/Wade and LeBron together? It sounded like it was the 3 of them who made that choice and Miami was the team that was able to move the contracts to make it happen) Once the tax bill starting coming in though they started to make moves to stay under the bill and lost talent. To his credit Dan Gilbert is paying the high tax bill for LeBron this time around.

"Team LeBron" does need to let the front office run the team and its operations but I can understand given how his first run in Cleveland went and how Miami started to pinch pennies as well after the first ring they may not trust front offices, but the mess in Cleveland right now in terms of big, bad contracts were primarily their doing.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, LeBron has caused some of his own problems. Holding the team hostage with the player option doesn't help.

Aside from getting guys paid though....the key moment for THIS Cavs team is management letting David Griffin walk and bungling the Kyrie situation. That moment probably could have been salvaged (either via a better trade or no trade) by better management.

rockets1995 likes this.