1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Wright: We lie about Michael Jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hakeem94, Apr 6, 2018.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Plz do max kellerman soon

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Game7

Game7 Member

Well said. I was in a similar discussion the other day. Somebody said MJ is the greatest ever and there is no argument. Needless to say, the conversation started there and ended hours later. So you might say there are arguments to be made. Or at least conversations to be had.

RedRedemption and Ramo$e like this.
  4. Mr. Space City

it doesn't matter. mj stans will throw 2011 and his finals record over his head for eternity.

i know it makes for good clickbait but people just need to let lebron be lebron. he'll def finish top 10 when it's all said and done, and there's nothing wrong with that.

macho GRANDE and RedRedemption like this.
  5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Dawg...

I respect the fuuck outta some nick wright. Whether I agree or disagree during whatever argument, the man spits fire regarding his analysis.

#5 BigMaloe, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

On a scale of 1 - 10, Jordan was a 9 who played like a 10. LeBron is a 10 who plays like a 9.

This is why LeBron will never be GOAT. At this point in his career and how the NBA is setup, there should be no doubt he is GOAT. The guy should be dominating the league, not sitting 4th in one of the weakest conferences in the entire history of the NBA.

kanggang, SS0101, BigM and 14 others like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If Nick Wright was in Houston still I'd probably listen to AM radio today. Instead I'm basically XM and Disney only lol.

D-rock and bulkatron like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lebron: zero slam dunk titles.

DoitDickau, BigM, superfob and 5 others like this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar are the pioneers of Basketball, Jordan only promoted himself as a brand only.

vince and Jontro like this.
  10. Rox11

Rox11 Member

What would you guys say the % is on the people who agree mj is the goat because everyone else says he is? I mean it’s got to be a lot considering not only did a lot of people who speak of him now not watch him thoroughly, but they also don’t know or bother to look at what the league looked like at that time either with competition ect. Defense was harder and that’s a major plus for his argument and he is the goat but people spew it out because if you say otherwise you will be an alien.

Now another key to consider in mj being crowned the goat is he did things no one saw before, brought in a new culture and style ect, and since he was the first to evoke such emotion and ability.... it will stick with people for a lifetime. To the point where whoever comes after him won’t hold the same “new, never seen before” feel...

Yung-T, BigMaloe and Koperboy like this.
  11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I find this recent love that he gets kind of amusing, not that I entirely disagree with it. But when he was here he was widely considered a clown and an example of what’s wrong with local sports radio.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Good points. It's the emotion that he evoked and how MJ became the face of the NBA when it really gathered worldwide attention and fast-growing fanbase - due to live broadcasts, Space Jam and the NBA shaking the drug & fight image. He also had the style, the tongue, but also the narrative. His retirement put him on the spot, the brand itself, the dunk contest, the 3-peats and then 3-peat again only to retire right after. People remember him as a winner and probably think he only won titles and if he would've played longer would've won more (93-95), but probably years after too.

When you put someone on a pedestal, it's hard for people to separate fact from fiction, which is why people are in great denial when discussing the Rockets titles even though MJ played in 94-95. And there's other examples of course. Make no mistake, the worship of MJ is on the same level as Jesus or God even in terms of how the brain works and people create an image / a narrative around their idea of what MJ was and symbolised.

So whenever another player is brought up, even if a player ever comes who plays for the same team, competes in the dunk contest, wins 6 rings, has his own movie and such, people will still find irrational, silly and even erroneous arguments to plead their case. Like you said, the "new and never seen before" is just impossible for a player now or decades to come. Lebron would've had a chance had he not joined forces in Miami, stuck with his team, won more than 6 titles, because of his build and skill for his size, which is something new.

Maybe if in the future there is a center like AD who just goes berserk and destroys the league, winning around 6 titles, then maybe that MJ as GOAT can change, but I don't think it ever will.

#12 OTMax, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Yung-T and hakeem94 like this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh Jesus.

Anyway, Lebron would physically dominate Jordan in their primes. He's just bigger, stronger, more skilled, and just as quick/fast. Otherwise, they're two completely different players. Jordan was the most elite scoring guard ever but Lebron controls the game in a way Jordan could not. Lebron took out a Warriors team that had the greatest regular season in history and the Warriors didn't rack up a bunch of wins in an expansion year like the Bulls did. Most of the Jordan GOAT stuff is about branding. He was the first brand superstar and a trailblazer in that respect. On the floor though, I think Lebron is the better player.

vince, Game7, htownrox1 and 2 others like this.
  14. lionaire

lionaire Member

what does this even mean

Lawlruschang likes this.
  15. Exiled

Exiled Member

both players had played 15 seasons. One is standing as the best player ever ,the 2nd still capitalizing on “he needs more help” narratives.
    MJ smoking cigars ,parties all night long ,you can only imagine what could happened if he was a bit serious about his stat padding and legacy

Nick_713 and hakeem94 like this.
  16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

This is one of the best takes on it that I’ve heard and it’s totally true. We craft a story to make it seem like Jordan was head and shoulders better than Lebron. His career has been better, but Lebron has a chance to pass him up as GOAT. In my view Lebron is basically tied.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

What would you guys say the % is on the people who agree Defense was harder and that’s a major plus for his argument ?

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

99% and it counts, but not as much as they’d have you believe. Lebron doesn’t get calls as much as he should because he’s physically gifted, so it’s pretty much a moot point if you compare the two in my opinion.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

lebron is the most talented player to ever play basketball.

jordan had the greatest career.

two separate arguments. when you talk about GOAT, you talk about achievements. rings, mvps, fmvps, jordan is that guy. yes the rules have changed and the talent level is better now, but nobody has ever dominated their peer group like jordan.

lebron is by far the most talented player but to be the GOAT you need rings, mvps, and fmvps. why? because the whole league is more talented than it was in the 90s. every generation will have the most talented to ever play, because players get better every generation. george milan was once considered the best in the world and today he wouldn't make a college team.

take any decent player from this generation and put them back 20 years or more and they'd be a star. clint capela as far as hight/weight, speed, and skillset are exactly what bill russell was except russell was that good 60 years ago which is what made him a legend. its like having and iPhone in the 60s. it would be the greatest piece of tech on the planet and worth millions per phone. today my grandmother has one. not as impressive. that's why its not about overall talent. its about who was the most ahead of their time, and we can quantify that by seeing how them dominated their peer group in the form of championships, mvps, and fmvps.

this is why jordan's career (not talent) will be considered the GOAT until someone else gets 6 rings with 6 fmvps, and 5 mvps.

TDRox, bumbum09, superfob and 4 others like this.
  20. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Jordan is to NBA
    As the HULKSTER is to wrastlin’...
    Sure there will be better players but he will remain the ICON of the sport.
    It’s just the nature of things..