1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

question about all-star starters

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Jan 20, 2018.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How does this work with the new setup for the all-star game? Isn't it possible that one captain can select more than 4 other "starters" on his team, which means one of the starters won't actually start the game?

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I saw something that the starters have to be picked first...so there’s essentially a starters draft, and then a reserves draft.

Deuce and durvasa like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i can really see it being curry/kd vs lebron/beard, the league would love that setup

4. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

yea there's a pool for the starters and then the pool for the reserves

durvasa likes this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Makes sense. Thanks.

In that case, the concern about some guy being picked last seems misplaced if he wasn’t voted a starter anyway. Give him a consolation prize and televise the whole thing.

6. jsingles

jsingles Member

I'd still be pissed if I was the last starter taken

Asian Sensation and Pen15clubber like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont see the issue of feelings being hurt about being picked last. all of these guys are happy being considered an "all star" for the year. being picked last for an actual all star game when you were chosen to be one means little to me when theres ton of players sitting at home wishing they were an all star

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

But you would still have been last, within the confines of the pool.

It's like being the last pick of the NBA draft. Or even the first round. Good enough to receive a guaranteed contract, but you're the "worst" of the 30 or so players.

Some people don't care about that. Some people take that personally.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  9. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Idk bout y’all, but I used to be embarrassed of getting picked last at pick up games. I wasn’t that good at bball lol

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yeah, and if one is the last person taken in a limited pool, you technically weren't even "picked."

You're technically there to balance out the teams, so that it's not 4v5 LOL

BigShasta likes this.
  11. Asian Sensation

I think you underestimate the egos of some of these guys.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're in a set pool of whats considered to be all stars, the top players in the league.

the nba draft is a pool of a ton of players all across the world, trying to make the league. quite a difference to me

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure that i am. the ego may come into play when you get snubbed to make the actual all star team but when you're already in that pool and its pretty much all fun and games for the fans, i don't see the issue being that significant. i mean just look at the game now scoring in the 300+ pts and guys laying on the floor to give others dunks. not that serious.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

To me, there's always a certain pride in being picked first. And there's a certain feeling of being picked last, even if you are considered one of the best players in the game.

Obviously, someone like Derozan isn't going to feel bad if a KD or Harden is picked ahead of him. But he might wonder why someone like Kyrie might have been picked ahead of him.

Again, it affects some people more than others. It wouldn't affect you or me, but I'm sure some players might take offense.

I think they should televise the draft for the entire event. Have Curry and LeBron pick from the entire pool, either live on TV or stream it on youtube.

15. Asian Sensation

May I present to you Russell Westbrook.

2015 he didn’t get picked as a starter. Definitely wanted to prove a point and won the MVP. Took 28 shots (the most on team) off the bench. As a reference Curry and Beard tied for 2nd most with 16 as starters.

2016 he was chosen as a starter but he had the least votes out of all west starters. Again, took the game more seriously than everyone else and wanted to prove a point. Won MVP again. Also led the team in attempts again with 23.

But he has no ego... just fun and game right?

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont think thats an ego moreso than just competing. and hes been that way from day 1. say what you want about him but he hasn't changed since hes been in the league. all star games are tailor made for people like him who have their foot on the gas pedal all the time. thats why a player who plays with pace isn't really ideal. especially these days where again guys are lying on the floor so people can go dunk the ball